What Other Plants Do You Have?

My girlfriend has a big tropical collection. She has a hindu rope (i think lol) that wasn’t doing to great so I put it in my tent and gave it some weed feed… in no time at all it started getting rowdy so I had to do some LST to make it behave…

14 Likes

I saw grenade sized poop from hornworm around bucket of poblano pepper. I sprayed all plants with solution of molasses. Molasses is supposed to kill caterpillars due to their lacking a pancreas.

I checked the pepper plant again and found the perpetrator hanging upside down snarling at me …at least it had stopped eating the pepper plant.

I sprayed him with Bacillus thuringienis and clipped the leaf into a glass jar. Welcome to Rikers Island, Ese.

13 Likes

Wrong plants…

1 Like

Bolivian and Peruvian torch
Have tons of other cactus including the golden torch, San Pedro, blue candle, grandiflora , chilaen torch what can I say I like cacti :grin:

12 Likes

Ese has a cell mate; found another hornworm in pepper plant.

The new leaves on devastated tomato plants were assaulted by smaller hornworm. The Big Guns from the 82nd Airborne Wasp Division responded.

Wasps like sugar :yum: and the hornworm is sugar coated. Plants were sprayed with fruit juice and molasses.

10 Likes

7 Likes

The poblano pepper plant has replaced its leaves and new peppers have sprouted. I used 2 in a chicken garbanzo soup: smokey flavor is delicious against the nuttiness of the garbanzo beans. I will continue to spray plant with LABS or molasses spray. I have not seen grenade sized bug poop and no chewed branches and leaves.

10 Likes

Kale is looking good, okra is starting to flower and bell peppers are starting to fruit in the oregano plant

10 Likes

Gotta get a pic of the collards. They’re larger than a small child.

7 Likes

My gardening just got started this year. It consists mostly of berries. I have several varieties of blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries. Then I got into growing peppers, mostly for fun since I’m not into really spicy foods.
I don’t have a recent shot of my berries, by here’s a group shot from the summer.

Many of the berries I selected will bear fruit both summer and fall, here’s some blueberries from a few weeks ago, almost all gone now

Then my current peppers in their multi use greenhouse I have Serrano, red Thai, and red ghost. I have cuttings of them all rooting to grow over the winter. Then I have a shopping list of 12 other varieties I want for next year :crazy_face:. Mostly for different colored hot sauces.

11 Likes

Okra

This okra plant began life with his seed shell stuck on his head like a helmet and sharing a pot with radish.

9 Likes

My poblanos and green chiles (Pueblos and Anaheims) were all roasted, peeled, and chopped for a huge pot of traditional New Mexican Green Chile Stew. I got addicted to the stuff during the few years I spent living in Albuquerque. I was able to share this batch of stew with friends and family, and still had enough to freeze for some chilly evening in the future.

We’ve had our first frost here in the middle of the US, which ended the few plants I had outside. I was recently gifted a San Pedro cactus which was brought in for the winter. My new place is being renovated which includes replacing a load bearing wall with a beam to open things up into a sun room with HUGE windows. I know that space will eventually be filled with happy plants once the construction is complete. It should be fun sourcing interesting flora!

8 Likes

Thanks for posting the recipe. It sounds perfect meal for cold days :yum:

4 Likes

I stayed very close to that recipe, however it doesn’t mention my favorite add-ons. In addition to the cilantro as you’re serving a bowl, try also adding a dollop of sour cream and a handful of crushed corn tortilla chips. The texture changes dramatically for the better IMO!

4 Likes

:spiral_notepad: :memo:

:rotating_light: Munchies safe space! WTF?!?

smoky poblano… okra… & all dat other shit…mmm :tongue: :stew:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

I have Seeds for 8 different pepper varieties ordered. Some of them I’m going to start right away and grow through the winter. Yellow reapers were sold out when I placed my order :tired_face: I just hope this company is legit and sending out the right seeds as advertised. The prices and varieties are very nice compared to others.

On that note, I’ve read there’s some steps involved for germinating super hot pepper seeds. Any tips from the OG community?

5 Likes

sow shallow (1/4"), moist 80F
growing: hot temps & extra calcium :hot_pepper: watch out for bugs

:+1:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

What about this soak in potassium nitrate or using tea to soften the shell? A few web sites selling the seeds say that it’s almost required for the super hots like ghost and reapers. I do have a heating pad for reptiles I can use for the seeds. It’s already stuck on the bottom of a fish tank, it keeps that spot about 10F above ambient.

1 Like

I’ve never needed any type of treatment for superhots. I use a heating mat with peat pellets and get about an 80-90% germination rate. Sometimes, I do like a hydrogen peroxide soak because some vendors seeds are prone to molding. I also had some seeds from pepperjoes (dont recommend) that had book lice in them! I have poor luck with the paper towel method and hate it very much. I love and swear by peat pellets or root riot plugs (way overpriced, insanity).

Best of luck! Superhots and peppers in general are great fun.

2 Likes

Thank you. The peppers that I did start from seed this summer were just soaked and planted into seed starting trays with promix. I too prefer peat pellets over other methods for cuttings and seeds.

1 Like