Is there a terpene or profile of terpenes that you’re always on the hunt for?

For me, I’ve been on the hunt for a cultivar with measurable levels of anethole. Anethole is what gives black licorice & anise their unique & strong flavour.

I’ve yet to find one, and I’ve been told “good luck” by lots of trusted growers and breeders, but I’m still on the lookout for it or signs of it in anything I grow or smoke.

I’ve grown some of the Sweet Seeds red family of automatics, and the Devil Cream had a very strong black licorice nose and flavour, but I didn’t have the means at the time to have it sent to a lab and tested. It could very well have been a combination of other terpenes causing that flavour & smell sensation.

Anywho, for me “Anethole” is the one that got away, and continues to be elusive.

What terp or profile of terps are you guys chasing?

15 Likes

That’s funny, I’m growing a plant right now that has that licorice smell when it’s ground up. Just had that realization yesterday!

Re: the one that got away: I grew Lemon Pie from Greenbud and when it was in the jar, it smelled like lemonade drink powder. I would love to have something that lemony again. Really I just want that strain again, because it smelled strange and sweet during flower and then was lemony, it was just an overall interesting plant.

7 Likes

Love me some Caryophyllene / Black Pepper :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

anything thats so pungent that when i smoke a joint i can actually taste the terp with each puff to the end, dont care too much what it is just something noticeable completely,

maybe limonene if i had to pick one

10 Likes

Not sure what the terpene is called but whichever ones are stupid loud and repulsive.

4 Likes

Wow, that Lemon Pie sounds awesome. I’d recommend checking out Bohdi’s Lemon Wookie. It’s got a lemony sweetness to it that’s different from most lemony strains - I think you might like it and it may be similar to what you’re explaining!

Out of curiosity what’s the strain you’ve got that has that smell when ground up?!

3 Likes

Real pine. Not mint or menthol. Oily pine. It’s harder to find than I thought but most pine strains are more mint or menthol than the old pine flavored bud we called Christmas tree sensi.

11 Likes

I want to find something meaty. Or halitosis like.

Yeah I loved it, but it threw a few nanners so I didn’t end up keeping it, and now I just sit by the window thinking about it, dreaming of what could have been. And that sounds great! I’ve sworn off buying seeds so I’m just working through my genetics and trades and whatnot. I’m getting a cross from a pal that’s super lemon haze x g13hp88 and I’m hoping that’ll be the right variety of lemony for me once I end up growing it!

And it’s Sunoma Seeds - Tiger King (9lb Hammer x Oaxacan Thai). I don’t believe he still sells it, but I’m totally out of touch with the world.

2 Likes

I’m into that stuff too. Have you tried the Halitosis Breath from ThugPug?

A friend of mine gifted me some hash rosin made from that and it smelled like BBQ!

1 Like

I have not tried the halitosis breath but smoked a couple different strains that had the bad breath/ rotten tooth smell so dank :drooling_face:.

BBQ? Now that’s a first n can only imagine how beautiful it was. Seriously cannabis, BBQ, and rain are the best smelling stuff in my world. @estab87

Skunk. Loud as I can find it. And skunk with asphalt and rubber(burnt or fresh). A buddy grew a Dark Plasma from Ocean Grown years back that was real heavy on licorice and chocolate. It’s definitely an interesting find :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Have you tried to seek out Jager Kush? Suppose to be pretty spot on black licorice.

1 Like

I have not, but I will be on the lookout now! Thank you!

1 Like

I’ve only seen it at premiumseedmarket.com. I’ve purchased a few of their other strains but have only grown out one so far.

I’ve grown their Black Creams, and they definitely have a clove like profile, so black licorice kinda fits…

Right now, I want something skunky. All my buds are so fruity, my grow area DOESNT smell like a grow. It smells like an apple orchard :slight_smile: Its really wierd to see frosty nugs and not smell weed…

I grew some unknowns outside last summer and they have an awesome limonene profile like lemondrops really, the smell is incredible!

And for me, the guy who’s sense of smell is horrible, that says something LOL

1 Like

Not sure what the terpene or combination of terpenes is, but I’m looking for the candy banana smell, like that banana penicillin or whatever it was. Gros Michel bananas according to google.
Popped a handful of 7eastgenetics’ Malana Banana a couple weeks ago and am hoping to find one that fits the bill.

3 Likes

I have one that smells like feet and incense and it’s quite lovely.

I didn’t know how much I liked the incense smells until I grew it.

1 Like

Pinkleberry is known for having the terp profile you seek… speaking from what I have read, many peoples experiences with it. I have not grown it myself.

But I favor the rank dank- anything opposite of sweet and everything pungent I love.
The motorbreath 15 I grew is amazing! Cured into halitosis and diesel pine. Oh man smells crazy when broken up, puts out hints of skunk funk.

@estab87 wish you luck on your search!!! But check out the Pinkleberry. :call_me_hand:t4:

3 Likes

A friend of a friend has a plant he found from seed of Symbiotic Genetics Kobe (LA Confidential x Purple Punch) that has a strong black licorice flavor and smell. That could be worth a look but it’s a little pricy hah

2 Likes