What the hell is this thing?

So i found this critter stuck to the side of one of my RDWC buckets when doing a nutrient change last week. I haven’t seen anymore, but honestly didn’t look in any of the other buckets. I didn’t see any during my last change and flush. It looks like a shrimp to me. any ideas?bug1
bug2

4 Likes

Silverfish

Silver fish are silver aren’t they?

1 Like

Not sure but I have soft bait plastics exactly like it. Kill the crappie on those through the ice👍

4 Likes

Lmao! I fish a lot here in Florida and it looks exactly like a Z-Man scented shrimp soft bait, but way smaller. It’s only about 5-6 mm long. I like to think I keep a pretty clean system, but this has me doubting myself and is freaking me out a little.

2 Likes

Not a silverfish

2 Likes

It sorta looks like a stonefly.
Do you live near a stream?

2 Likes

Alternatively a Caddfly / Trichoptera larva?

8 Likes

Yup, I’d say silverfish as well.

No streams around me. water table is about 20 feet below me, but when it rains, it rains here in FL. Would wet summers cause something like that? I could have brought it in with me, but never saw one before.

I’m thinking caddfly larvae. I have a ton of moth type creatures every night around the porch lights. You see a new bug frequently here. When i moved here it was once a day, after 5 years it’s more like one every 6 months, but you still see new bugs. lol

2 Likes

looks like a tiny crawfish lol

3 Likes

Crawfish live in muddy water here, they dig a hole so they can hibernate and make babies in water.

but. they have claws :confused:

6 Likes

I have a somewhat older house and definitely had some silverfish moving in before I hired a pest company, they were silver, had like a pointy C butt and leave a silver residue when touched with a paper towel, definitely silver, you’re correct.

1 Like

i agree @Breelie, that is not a silverfish @Jzyjack , they were in a house i lived in a few years back.

other then that i am no help :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Caddis fly larvae is the closest in appearance to the photos @Jzyjack posted above.

1 Like

Or a crawfish with spina bifida.

2 Likes

Holy shit we have a cryptid on our hands.Squirrel has me by the brain banana on this one

2 Likes

You should probably win a prize. Your nutes evolved a thing, and created weed shrimpies.

5 Likes

First thing I though of was a pheasant tail nymph :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes