This takes living soil to a whole different level, just not sure it's a good one. HELP ID THIS ALIEN

Ocean Forest, one of my favoritre soils to use as a base, and even though after having had a couole samoles iof it tested only to find ou that what opeople call a hiot soil is actrually and usually as far as my experince goes, still low on a few different nutrients and tends to also be low on CEC. Now to the poin… The thing i hear complained about the most is that the soils have bugs , specifically fungus gnats in them, whic is something that remains to be argued over because theres no way of knowing if the bus came with it or were lovingly added at the harden center of your choosing, Until today these gnats bothered me but after finding what i can thus far only explain to be Alien life forms genetically engineered to represent everything that i could possibly fear or find disgusting about small living creatures that blend extremely well into the soil to where you can barely see them until BAM u realize you just had that soil in your bare hand unknowingly holding something that may or may not bite, tickle or plain f*** you up has taken a front to seat in the WTF is in my SOIL adventure.

Can someone PLEASE identify these really kinda scary looking spiked alien-looking slugs from hell? This can’t be a common bug that i just didn’t get a memo about like seriously WTF ARE THOSE lol

Add

6 Likes

It reminds me of a sea cucumber haha

1 Like

I have no clue what the hell those freakish lookin bugs are, looks like a mutant cross of a roly poly and a mealy bug lol. Your post had me laughing my ass off though!!

One things for sure, this is what I thought of when I seen those pics
92a9cc8c92f276efc079303e7a43f1b5

1 Like

it could just be rove beetle larve which is a good thing. Hard to say with out the buggers in hand.

And also welcome to the community!

2 Likes

4 Likes

The infamous foreskin grub! Light fire to that shit!

3 Likes

Sure does
:seedling: :green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

There’s a great sub reddit for bug id called whatsthisbug

https://www.reddit.com/r/whatsthisbug/

2 Likes

Looks like some kind of fly larvae to me.

Black soldier fly or a related species is my guess.

soldier-fly-larva-IMG_9878_sm

Oh yeah, these are super common in the reptile trade as feeders, they call them Phoenix worms. They have the highest protein to fat ratio of any common feeder, and no chitin so easy to digest.

4 Likes

Looks like beetle larvae, what specific kind, I couldn’t say.

2 Likes

Ewwww botfly larvae! Look for YouTube videos of people in the tropics pulling larvae from their skin, only if you have a strong stomach!

2 Likes

Yeah that botfly is no joke and they almost look like Blue bottle fly larvae but not sure

thank you for the responses so far… i definitely have some leads from this however, i think they are too small to be soldier fly larva, I’ve seen this in person and they arent covered in spines either, these hairs or spines are not hard but also not softer, like a soft toothbrush texture as far as i could tell via tool i was poking at it with… Also, they die if not in soil for more than 24 hrs, that’s a new addition to the checklist and i don’t seem to be finding more of them so as of now, and thanks you to those who said beetle larvae, I think the culprit was a June book like looking bug that for about 3 days must have been hatching around here because I kept seeing them and saw one in that same area of seedlings so I’m trying to find the same one online right now because i don’t have a pic. i do also have rove beetles that I was blessed with appearing in my worm bin however these grub-like things are about the size of 8-10 rove beetles combined so it doesn’t make sense that something that large would then become something so small

1 Like

i think you are on to something!]

1 Like

God help us all… ill live anywhere in the world except wherever those are residing …
Thank god its not looking like botfly larvae is the culprit… if that was the case i would burn my room and relocate quickly. And don’t tell me it’s california, i still have like 8 months on my lease please…

2 Likes

too big and too white… these guys are darker, striped and more hair

1 Like

chrome_QskmeP1Nd9
Were out of the Orange Chicken but…

3 Likes

They say insect protein is the future of food. You can buy cricket based protein powder!

2 Likes

There’s cricket based dog and cat treats, haven’t met a dog or cat that wanted them lol

3 Likes