What's eating my garden

I noticed something went to town on my corn plants. Any idea what caused this damage? I wanna get it under control before it can reach my weed.

I’ve also taken note of a few plants around the yard with black spots on the leaves?

I’ve never noticed either of these in the past couple years

1 Like

That looks like leaf-cutter bee damage in the top picture.
Leaf cutter bees don’t eat the leaves, they use the cut leaf pieces to build a nest for their larvae and only take what is needed for their nest.

The black spots on plant leaves are commonly caused by a fungal infection.

9 Likes

They needed that much of my corn? The nests gotta be huge. I have 8 corn plants an they cut up all but one

Sounds like I’m stuck with the bees. Does the fungus effect Marijuana? Hurt the plants? Do you know anything I can look into to get rid of it?

1 Like

I would have guessed grasshoppers, but when you look at the leaves of the corn, it has a distinctive pattern. Maybe there is a reason to use that outer 1/2" of the corn leaf.?? Grasshoppers would just randomly eat all they could, I think.

How’s things going @DesertGrown ? I was thinking about you recently for some reason or another. I haven’t seen you for a while. Hope life in the Midwest is going your way! peace

4 Likes

I’m not familiar with that particular fungus, but you can get a lot of garden fungicides easily in most big box stores or garden centers, or online. Lots of organic choices, as well. Some fungi/mold will jump from plant to plant. Maybe carried by insects (as happened to me), so it is something to be aware of. peace

3 Likes

They did it soo fast. I checked the garden in the morning because of a wild wind storm the day before, by dust I found all that damage. Suppose I should add a extra check mid day

2 Likes

Bugs like that will normally be done after a period, and won’t kill plants they hit. Like Japanese Beetle infestations, you can spray them off with water or pick them off and shortly they’ll be gone. Hopefully, their visit was short lived. peace

3 Likes

Apologies, I needed to charge my phone for a little bit.

Black spot is caused by fungus and may be remedied by applying any fungicide… or you can mix one heaping tablespoon of baking soda in a gallon of water and spray the fungi away.

What’s been happening with you @GMan?
I’ve been busy with work, but I’ve also been really missing my friends on OG. I’ve made a recent decision to stop in as much as possible to converse about plants and share any knowledge I may have on any plant subject. Plants, flowers and the like are still my favorite subjects to discuss.

3 Likes

Bite a piece out of a few leaves with your very own teeth.
Establish dominance.

8 Likes