What's this double bud mutation?

I know there’s a name for it, but forget what it’s called…

10 Likes

Polyploidism I believe

5 Likes

Thanks for that big word-

I’ve read about it before, so very interesting…

4 Likes

Actually saw a gerbera daisy like that the other day at a nursery. It always looks cool. Seems to happen to all plants.

2 Likes

Yeah I think the name is… fire af! :fire:

2 Likes

I think @DougDawson had one of these with the PPP grow.

3 Likes

I did have something similar but much more pronounced. It was really cool. The ones I have seen in the writeups are usually right against each other with a thin line of vegetation separating them but the PPP seemed to grow 2 distinct buds where there is literally space between them. I am separating the seeds from that particular plant to possibly explore or see who wants to explore this oddity. That is a really great study you linked @vaportrail , thanks.

9 Likes

I had multiple plants do this in the run that I just finished. Somebody on another forum told me it could be due to me keeping my pro mix wet and not having many or any dry downs at all and cuing the plants for vegetative crop steering. I also had these really weird string bean looking growths out of some buds which I’d never seen before. Not sure if yours was in similar conditions but my guess it is some kind of response to environment. I’m just speculating though.

I’m pretty sure fasciation is often mistaken for polyploidism although I’m not sure that’s what vaportrail’s bud is showing.

4 Likes

It’s fasciation. I read all the responses before posting myself lol

3 Likes

Get them extremely wet then dry out
Or the head could been damaged or heat from lamp

It’s an environment factor not genetics

Somewhere in its growth shit happend

3 Likes

Keep feeling fasciation,
Passion burning
Lose control

3 Likes

Could be, I dont claim to know what caused it and to only 1 cola but is is pretty cool wether it be genetic or environmental. This guy doesnt know enough to say one way or another.

1 Like

I’ve gotten it before few times from abuse and fluctuations in environments.

You can also make it happen by splitting the bud, it’s kind if like plants that self top.

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks bud. It was fun to watch it grow that way. Appreciate the info.

3 Likes

My last run of cookies had split buds on almost all the tips except the top of the plant… Weird but cool and nails you a little extra bud :rofl:

3 Likes

Cresting, or fasciation As stated above. Very common in cacti. Well not very common but seen in almost all species at a very low occurrence rates

3 Likes

I do think it’s partially genetics. I had it happen on a Sour Diesel plant I grew.

1 Like

Same bud 2 weeks later-

It’s flattened on top, but not really splitting into 2 buds…

Crowned with dreads :laughing:

2 Likes

Yours does really look to bad. I had that happen to what would have been a solid keeper blueberry a couple years ago. Mine was pretty bad, actually wish I would have just cut it off early on but never had it happen to me before so I wanted to grow it out just to see for my self. The double buds are very leafy on the inside and although mine didn’t rot I could see that being an issue.

5 Likes

That specific variation I would say is too leafy to really enjoy… I had a pineapple chunk do that in the main stem as well as being a quadfoliate or instead of two alternating nodes it gave me 4 in symmetry across all node on the plant and was super Larry for the whole plant …

However my platinum kush breath x firecreek of had a mutation where the buds on the ends of the secondaries split into two buds instead of that whirled top shown above

5 Likes