What's up with michigan weed?

To me they are selling an adulterated product and that should be illegal, especially if it is harmful to your health.
I am pretty sure it is.
To me that should be seen a criminal offence…

This sorta thing is all about the money and not what is right, your health is really not a concern for them at all, this seems obvious to me, they just want your money and they will take it any way they can, even if it kills you…WTF??

4 Likes

that’s unbridled capitalism for you.

3 Likes

:laughing: Billy Mumphry and his story of love, deception, greed, lust and unbridled enthusiasm.

…sorry…been binging Seinfeld recently…

3 Likes

I was watching the Jon Lovitz wig episode last night. Still cracks me up.

3 Likes

A good source told me there is a good chance this could be diacetyl
When inhaled, diacetyl causes bronchiolitis obliterans - more commonly referred to as “popcorn lung” - a scarring of the tiny air sacs in the lungs resulting in the thickening and narrowing of the airways.

Popcorn Lung: A Dangerous Risk of Flavored E-Cigarettes | American Lung Association.

3 Likes

I think this was overplayed a little. Not saying it’s good to inhale that shit or should ever be in an inhaled product, but the people who got popcorn lung and why it was called so originally were working in a microwave popcorn factory and were directly working with the flavoring…which this chemical is used for butter flavoring. They inhaled massive amounts over extended periods of time.

3 Likes

i’d be interested in finding out what happens when you smoke it. i’d bet that it would do the same thing over the course of a few years since you’re inhaling very deep and keeping it in as long as possible. regardless of how dangerous it is, if it causes popcorn lung it should be banned from being used, not sprayed on the weed to make it smell better. but i guess that’s small potatoes compared to poisoning folks with lead in the water system.

2 Likes

I believe I read that the ammount of diacetyl in ecigs is less than what’s in regular cigarettes, and there was no correlation between smoking vs non smoking workers at these factories getting popcorn lung.

There was a story of a guy that would microwave two dozen bags of popcorn and huff the bags like a glue sniffer.

I know people have been spraying distiate on flowers for years because disty is cheap and everyone wants a high lab test.

I kind of bet that’s what it is. Distillate is harsh to smoke imho, and they easily could use sprayed terps as well…it would explain the funny ash and headache…

2 Likes

Calyxander posted this a recently,

As Delta Extraction was fighting off their license suspension and the recall by state regulators, the company revealed it had been importing concentrated THC oil made from industrial hemp — which is about four times cheaper to make than marijuana THC concentrate in Missouri.

Batenburg had no idea his team was likely buying what he calls a “synthetic” THC — or THC that had been converted from hemp’s CBD using a heavy chemical process — mixed with a small amount of marijuana, while still paying marijuana prices.

No doubt shenanigans in the industry.

5 Likes

thanx for that info guys, i really appreciate it. i knew this was the right place to ask that question.

4 Likes

I want to make clear, I’m in NO WAY beating on Michigan weed, the few folks I know from that state are some of the best cannabis handlers out there.
They have a spectacular edible maker out there, a well deserved nod to @Gardenartus!!
For the medical patients I’m still thrilled you have access.
For those that can not grow for themselves, you have a system to use.
Just my $.02
webe

4 Likes

Maybe, maybe not???
Foods and beverages containing diacetyl are not inherently dangerous to consume if they are not heated.

It is important to note, however, that heating products containing diacetyl trigger a chemical reaction that releases the dangerous compound into the air as a more dangerous vaporous form.

NIOSH established recommended exposure limits (RELs) of 5 ppb for diacetyl and 9.3 ppb for 2,3-pentanedione as 8-hour time weighted averages (TWAs). NIOSH also recommended 15-minute short-term exposure limits (STELs) of 25 ppb for diacetyl and 31 ppb for 2,3-pentanedione.

with vaping, we’re seeing lung damage developing in much less time; often under a year .

How many hits of a vape ruin your lungs?

Cardiac Surgeon Lucian Durham warns inhaling a single puff from a vape could make you his next patient at Froedtert and Medical College of Wisconsin. The lung damage he has seen in patients is the equivalent to someone smoking cigarettes for decades. “It literally can kill you the first time you try it,” he says.Nov 6, 2019

shag says…
I have not found any research on how diacetyl reacts when combusted.
Combustion may be way different than just heating to a vapor.
The chemical composition could completely change.

1 Like

Lol I vaped for 9+ years non stop.

I wish you the best.
But
If I take one hit from flavored extracts, my chest hurts for days.
Maybe some folks are more sensitive than others.

I never knew what caused it, and still not sure but I do know my body hates it, even some weed is just not smokeable for me, I see others having no issue other than a sore throat.

Sorry, when I say vaped I mean liquid nicotine. And I think you’re meaning dry herb and extracts maybe? Different things somewhat.

Also, I think stuff sprayed on bud is a bit different than vaping as I was referring.

Your upper post, I couldn’t tell which parts were based on diacetyl and which were based on vaping. I know they didn’t all come from one article, did they? I feel they were pulled from different sources. I could be wrong.

I mixed my own vape juice from scratch. None of the flavorings I have list ingredients. I don’t recall any ever listing ingredients over the years I was doing it. I may or may not have been exposed. But I sure wasn’t ever aiming for butter flavor haha gross.

The reason why I lol’d was because I don’t buy the quote about one time can destroy your lungs. One time with what product? A dry herb vape? An extract vape? Liquid nicotine vape? Vaping specifically diacetyl? Furthermore, nobody is spraying diacetyl on bud. So im not totally sure why that was brought up to begin with.

Anyway none of what I said really matters. I don’t think anything should ever be sprayed onto a product that’s going to be inhaled or ingested, especially if it isn’t labeled as such. That should be a lawsuit.

1 Like

This IMO< DO NOT BUY FROM MICHIGAN DISPENSARIES! They have allowed tested weed that had PM and Eagle 20 back on the market. I do Not Trust Michigan Dispensary weed, it is WEED, not cannabis.

2 Likes

neither am i, some of it has been great. just like everywhere, some isn’t. still better than street weed in some places.

1 Like

Fake terp (by that i mean non cannabis derived synthetic flavorings) cake or cookie flavors in a thc vape would probably have diacetyl in it. So would many tobacco flavored nicotine vapes, or caramel.

I can’t see that making it through a lab test, but keep in mind, labs don’t go through identifying g every single compound in a sample, they run against against known standards.

In other words, they need to know what they’re looking for.

You get a d9 distillate come back at 89% with 6% minors and maybe the five percent is where everything goes sour, and then a sprinkle of some lorann terps. Boom, a nice thick headache.

I can’t imagine this happening at a dispensary tho, it seems more traditional market behavior

2 Likes