When do you consider day 1 of flower?

Concur! To me that makes the most sense… we choose a perfect female (our desirable pheno) and then cross her with male pollen (the unknown)… It would seem that we don’t know the traits of the male so we are not crossing the male to the female…multiplying the male traits :raised_hands: Analogously, when we multiply XxY we are taking the original base of X and multiplying it Y times… Extending that same mathematical logic to US breeding logic regarding plant crosses we would take the Y and multiply it X which - although logically equivalent – is not the same calculation… one results in Y sets of X while one results in X sets of Y

1 Like

Honestly I start looking for maturity about 55-days from the flip, but I measure flowering from the first pistil-pop after the flip. That’s usually within 5-days of the switch to 12/12.

2 Likes

Saw the title of this post and all I could think was…

groundhog day

Can’t count how many times I have seen this debate, lol. Personally I don’t count days or weeks when growing. The plants can’t count so why should I :wink: They are done when they are done. But hey, we all have our ways.

4 Likes

Interesting! I have one plant that shows flowers after one week and finishes at week 10 but another that doesn’t show flowers until almost 4 weeks in but is finished by week 8! I grow all my plants out and keep a watchful eye on them as I have found that the trichomes seem to glimmer/shimmer for approximately 3 days to a week and that is the window of time I personally find the best quality harvest results. So each strain needs to be watched to determine the best harvest window and to me the vendor provided harvest dates just seems to give the general range where this shimmery state can occur. An individuals personal taste and perception of the plants changes might cause them to shoot for before the shimmer or after the shimmer, or altogether not notice the shimmer and focus on the cloudiness/amber coloration of the trichomes instead.

3 Likes

exactly. Warmth speeds up a cycle and cool slows it down. Plus there are so may other variables :sweat_smile: But in general, a plant takes a certain number of days and that is that… If you pull your 12 week Sour D at nine or ten weeks it will still be killer weed…:raised_hands: but it has potential to be different

3 Likes

I found a whole thread for this while reading tons of threads;

When is day 1 of flower? 12-12 pistils or Bud - Overgrow.com

3 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t want to say it, lol. There have been many and all have the same answers. In the end it’s whatever works for you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

On the other side of this question…

1 Like

It’s ok to discus it further if we want to tho , yes lol ? And sure those that are bored talking about it , all they have to do is just not click on it , if they feel they have nothing more to contribute etc : )

4 Likes

It’s always ok to have discussions, just sometimes better to continue the discussion on a thread already there instead of having multiples on the same topic which fragment the topic. That’s why they merge so many posts. That way someone does not have to scroll through multiple threads on one topic. Defiantly nothing wrong with continuing a discussion.

3 Likes

From flip for me. And I personally take 99% of breeders finish times with a grain of salt. Everyone is different and I guarantee you aren’t using exactly to a tee what the breeder/cultivator was and even if so there are a million variables that could make it differ drastically in either direction.

4 Likes

I run my lights 12/12 continually.
And there’s also auto’s…

So whenever I see the first white hair(s) is day 1 of flower.

3 Likes

Yep exactly what I do, and after transition week the lamp goes higher and brighter gradually over the next ten days as the plants stretch.

3 Likes

Just would like to thank each and everyone of you fine guys and gals that offered your take on my question…
Definitely will be adding to my knowledge and tricks.

2 Likes

HA! You’re kinder than me. I usually run my lamps at 100% and just use distance. The dimming feature is so far only for me, the human not wanting to go blind, when I’m working on the plants :rofl:

I know what you mean, seeing stars after a pruning session.

Day 1 starts at the flip, I then circle their projected date onto a calendar, but the loupe shows the culling.
Their stated time means nothing but as a general guide.
I have 3 separate flower areas, all on different on/off timers, and all different stages, late veg, transition, flower.

1 Like

Can I throw a wrench…@Mithridate

Is there room to fit an autoFlower, Up-Pot into that nutrient mix transition…?

3-week old Jack Herer auto, in the Veg-nute loaded substrate of a 1gallon air-pot.

Would there be an Ideal time to Plop Her in a Bloom-nute loaded, 3 gallon Bag?

1 Like

Im not an expert on autos, i would highly suggest getting a second opinion.

So
Week 1-2 no food/very little food
Week 3 transplant and add a balanced diet
Week 4 balanced diet
Week 5+ bloom nutes

I know many try to avoid transplanting and start autos in their final pot…

1 Like

I know, thats also what I’ve lived with.

Spending more time preparing better substrates… and just came upon this…
Opportunity… ?

I’m thinking a nicely Veg-watered plant may take to a nice new Home in week 2 of Flower. Let it dry-out and the next meal is Bloom-nutes…

I’ll sniff it around. Thanks

1 Like