When was the first clone only strain cloned?

Anyone have an Idea? It had to be a landrace strain…

8 Likes

Most likely several thousand years ago….

8 Likes

I would assume the first clone was a natural mound layer that was dug up and transplanted.
Just my guess.
Although im sure humans knew of cloning for since just before the agricultural age. At least devision of roots and separation of tubers.
Something like a fig would probably be my guess since its a hardwood tha roots with ease and produces a food crop.

4 Likes

I’m actually talking about the G13 supposedly coming from a government facility…

5 Likes

lol
thats a differnt story

2 Likes

Probably sometime after people started wearing aluminum foil hats.

7 Likes

Just playing the Devils advocate for a minute.
Vice Magazine wrote that the tin foil hat in popular culture "can be traced back in a very weird and prescient short story written in 1927 by Julian Huxley

10 Likes

Brother of Aldous Huxley. Sounds about right.

6 Likes

You’d be best off trying to track the spread of the knowledge that plants could be propagated as cuttings through agricultural locations and history.

2 Likes

Cannabis is about 5,000 years old

So I’d assume people had more widespread practical knowledge by 1k BC. One millennium after confirmed wood grafting, to allow for the spread of agricultural knowledge and the specific application to cannabis.

5 Likes

That being said the greenhouse part is also important…

We clone these plants because we can keep them going year around

This was not always possible or even viewed as desirable

3 Likes

In 2008, researchers discovered fossilized pollen grains resembling those of the cannabis plant in sedimentary deposits from the Oligocene epoch, approximately 27 million years ago, in the Czech Republic. Morphological analysis and comparison with modern cannabis pollen confirmed the identification, providing concrete evidence of cannabis’s existence in prehistoric times.

2 Likes

“Once upon a time…”

The story goes that an unknown assistant at the University of Mississippi liberated the plant during a government research project. Allegedly, G13 was a part of a project researching Indica and Sativa weed strains and Neville Schoenmakers, a founder of the first Seed Bank in the Netherlands got his hands on G13. Although there is no proof, G13 was given to a man who was friends with the researcher from Mississippi.

G13 - A Government Experiment?

According to the most reliable story, written by Jesse for the Treating Yourself magazine, this plant was apparently liberated by an unknown assistant from a government research facility at the University of Mississippi. The G13 was part of a project run by a Dr. Carlton Turner, who was conducting research on both cannabis sativa and cannabis indica drug strains. One thing is known for a fact and that is that Nevil Schoenmakers, who also founded The Seed Bank, got a hold of a clone marked G13 some way or the other. Opinions vary but apparently it was given to him by man called Sandy Weinstein, who had a friend working at the government research facility in Mississippi. The G13 was found among a batch of Afghani indicas labeled G1 through G23. The G13 was said to be highly superior to the others, sporting fast indoor flowering, massive resin production, excellent potency and extreme hybrid vigor.

STORY OF G13 MARIJUANA

This is an article about the story of G13 marijuana. In our shop we have the most reliable G13 lineage available on the market… From all marijuana strains available on the market today, few have achieved such a legendary fame. A fame that has led to the creation of icons and even to mythology, urban legends and a movie.

Where G13 marijuana comes from and whether or not the whole story is true, even if it really existed has been the subject of countless debates. Following the weak trail that this plant has left behind, we travel back to the amazing seventies in the United States where this legendary plant was supposedly created.

2 Likes

Ok, I’m talking about these clone only strains G13, ArcataTrainwreck, UW etc… When did they come into the scene, what year? These were the clones that I’ve gotten during the old Overgrow years back in 2000…

4 Likes

They’ve been around awhile I imagine. Mother of Berries has been around since the mid 80s.

3 Likes

Never heard of that strain

1 Like

It’s pretty awesome. Fast flowering indicia that smells like berries.

3 Likes

Some clones are from as early as the 1970s. most heirloom ones are from 1990-2010.

6 Likes

Chem 91 is from 1991 for example.

5 Likes

Bubba Kush 1993.

4 Likes