When was the first clone only strain cloned?

Gainesville Green was around in 1974-75.

2 Likes

1768-1771
Cloning of the first CLONE ONLY strain by Joseph Banks. Fact :sunglasses:

4 Likes

If I’m not mistaken it wast Romulus or thunder f. Can’t remember

3 Likes

It’s a fact that there is a clone only strain called G13. All of the mystery and intrigue has raised this up to be a pot legend, worthy of mythical status. But I do not believe for one second that it ever came from a government lab.

University of Mississippi is the only source of cannabis for the federal government. The government weed grown at UMiss is notorious for being some of the worst cannabis possible. There’s a reason it earns the nickname “moldy mush” among cannabis researchers. UMiss is also the sole provider of cannabis for the dozen or so federal medical marijuana patients that have been approved since 1976 when the program began. That’s right, federal medical weed. The patients say it is pretty terrible weed.

8 Likes

that photo in the vox article is painful to look at…

2 Likes

Agreed, it looks so bad lol

i know we were passing white widow clones around in the 90s

I was proven wrong by this.

Currently they only grow one old strain of Mexican weed. However, I have photos from the 70’s and even interviews from then as well and they were growing dozens of strains from all over the world. They aren’t now, but once upon a time it was a collection of some pretty rare stuff.

Back when all anyone had was ditch weed, a grow full of drug cultivars from all over the world would have been mythical.

1 Like

I know a few guys holding afghans from 1976, I remember my mentor getting a hp in the mid 80’s .

1 Like

So this brings an interesting point, and the biggest hole in my argument. In my case I am using the “absence of evidence as the evidence of absence” or at least as my support for being doubtful of government grown secret super strains. Right now the only real evidence we have is the shitty UMiss moldy mush weed. But all that this proves is that UMiss has only ever publicly acknowledged one single strain, and that it is the same strain they grow for research purposes (see note below*).

Carl Sagan would be disappointed in my reasoning skills here. If he was alive today I would pass the joint to him in hopes of repairing my reputation.

And to complicate things further, I actually do believe that there was a time in the early-to-mid-'70s when the federal cannabis program may have been growing multiple strains that were collected from around the world. Here is my reasoning:

1. The federal cannabis program at University of Mississippi operates under a contract with the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). UMiss is the only contractor that is allowed to grow cannabis.
  2. NIDA was formed in 1973, under the direction of Dr. Robert DuPont from 1973-78. Dr. DuPont initially held the belief that the use of cannabis was mostly harmless. His view changed after a rise of parents’ groups decided to turn the national conversation from “safe adult use” to “this is doing unimaginable harm to YOUR children.” The parents groups lobbied Dr. DuPont personally and from that point forward the medical emphasis was on “harm done to developing child brains.” This change occurred during the mid-'70s
  3. It is entirely possible that UMiss had amassed several strains from around the world before this thought shift occurred. If this happened, then I think it is also possible that there were new strains created by breeding within this collection.
  4. We know for certain that UMiss began providing the cannabis to the federal medical marijuana patients in 1978 (after a 1976 lawsuit which resulted in the creation of this program). This is the “shitty weed” that is referenced in the articles from my previous post. So if the government did have a rare collection at some point then I think that it didn’t matter to the people in charge by this time, or even earlier.
  5. Finally, if someone did manage to liberate G13 (or samples “G1 thru G23”, as the story goes) then I think that it would have to have happened prior to 1978. Maybe even sometime before the end of 1976 when the lawsuit established the federal medical program.

So it does seem like there was a window of time wherein these myths all intersect and the stories could be true. IMO it would have been sometime between '73-'76 when the samples could have been obtained.

Personally, I still ascribe to the thought that this stuff about G13 is all legend and hearsay. But it’s a ton of fun to think about and discuss with an open mind. :smiley: :frog: We will likely never know the full story or see the true picture. It’s been half a century since the story began, and a lot of memories can change during that time.

Anyway, this was not intended to be such a large wall of text. Thank you for putting up with my debut novel here in this post. :joy:

(*) - Do note that the “research purposes” for which UMiss is growing cannabis are only for studies that are intent on “proving” that cannabis causes harm. So I think it’s in their own interest to only provide the worst weed they possibly can. This shit’s complicated.

1 Like

These are out of order. Sorry! I have a few more random pics from U Miss somewhere else too.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! I’m gonna try to read thru these later this afternoon.

Anyway @PhilCuisine I am sorry if this has hijacked your thread :stuck_out_tongue: but I had a fun time

2 Likes

Once upon a primeval time, in a verdant expanse untouched by modernity, a formidable herbivore dinosaur known as Strike roamed the lush terrain. His robust frame and long neck allowed him to reach the tender leaves of various plants, including a majestic cannabis plant standing proud amidst the greenery.

Strike, driven by his insatiable appetite, approached the cannabis plant with curiosity. With a swift movement of his massive head, he aimed to grasp a succulent bunch of leaves. Yet, in his fervor, he struck the cannabis plant with unexpected force, causing a branch to snap off.

Unperturbed, Strike regarded the fallen branch with interest. Its aroma piqued his senses, and without hesitation, he began to consume its foliage. Little did Strike know, his unintentional act triggered a chain of events that would alter the destiny of the cannabis plant.

On the forest floor, the broken cannabis branch lay in the dappled sunlight, its stem intact and its leaves vibrant. Energized by the trauma, the plant unleashed its innate ability for asexual reproduction through vegetative propagation.

From the base of the broken stem, new roots emerged, anchoring the branch to the soil. Simultaneously, tiny shoots sprouted from the leaf nodes, reaching for the sky with determination. In a testament to resilience, the cannabis branch transformed into a cluster of thriving plants, each a genetic clone of the original.

As Strike continued his journey through the ancient landscape, his unwitting contribution to the propagation of the cannabis plant remained unknown to him. Yet, in the wake of his passage, a new generation of cannabis flourished, enriching the primordial ecosystem with its presence. And so, amidst the towering ferns and echoing calls of ancient creatures, the cycle of life continued, driven by the unyielding force of nature’s ingenuity.

5 Likes

Just sitting in water!:arrow_down:

8 Likes

Behold, Jurassic Kush!

5 Likes

Does anyone have G13 seeds in there collection , :grinning:

1 Like

Wasn’t Skunk #1 clone only? :man_shrugging:t2:. I mean that alone goes that pretty far. …

G13 was a clone, it’s only possible to have hybrids in seed form.

I do have the old G13 Project seeds.

Pz :v:t2:

2 Likes

I don’t even know what “clone only” means. Really, what do people mean by clone only? It wont make seed or what?

3 Likes