Where to get Seeds for Medicinal Cannabis

The regs use a pretty stellar boy from Stoney of Stone Farms. Once he saw how nice the initial crosses were he hit a lot more with him. Then once they sold well and Stoney passed more were made/released

2 Likes

Go for it! My understanding is that there is a lot of genetic variability between different versions of a given ā€œstrainā€. Would be interesting to see if or how close SD seeds from different sources are related. The nomenclature for cannabis cultivars seems confusing and arbitrary. What for instance defines a Sour Diesel? Its only defined by its taste and smell and Iā€™m pretty sure that plants that taste and smell very similar can have a very different parentage. They might taste and smell the same but can have a very different genetic and chemical make up. From a medical perspective it would make much more sens when the name of a cultivar relates to the effect and not taste or smell.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a bit incorrect.

A true sour diesel seed line comes from a clone only sour diesel plant. Not just any random plant.

The issue is anybody can call their seeds sour diesel. That doesnā€™t mean it really is.

4 Likes

@leetdood Is this perspective widely shared? I think Ron Herrington, a canadian Breeder, said he has seed lines that have a high uniformity and are able to reproduce them self. They grow like a Landrace on his property (he claims).

The lineage of SD seems to be pretty vague and it remains unclear who the original Breeder was and what the ā€œingredientsā€ where. Your claim seems to be that somebody in the 90ā€™s bred the SD-Motherplant and only seedlines closely related to that original Mother can call them self SD. Iā€™m not saying your definition of a ā€œtrueā€ seedline is wrong but for the homegrower itā€™s almost impossible to know what he is buying.

@Acro If you have exceptional genetics it makes sens to cross it with a wide variety of other cultivars to see what happens and to keep this genetics in the gene pool. In a hundred years from know somebody will be very happy they made those 46 SD crosses.

that doesnā€™t really change anything. also, i didnā€™t say the 90s.

it doesnā€™t matter what the ā€œingredientsā€ are if you can get the clone itself or your preferred seedline based on the clone.

the average homegrower may be unknowing or tricked, but it does not change the fact that sour diesel is a clone only strain preserved by breeders.

2 Likes

Anybody who is interested can do a few months to years of research on their preferred cultivar and how it has been preserved, if it has, in seed form. Quality cultivars take time to acquire sometimes.

1 Like

Sounds like a 700 page novel called ā€œThe Plant Detectiveā€, Iā€™m hesitant to climb down that rabbit hole but Iā€™m interested. If you think about it, it took centuries of cannabis cultivation til somebody held that one quality cut in his hand, mindblowing. Iā€™m no biologist but I guess the answer to many questions regarding the origin and evolution of the plant will be found via genome analysis.

1 Like

Iā€™ll second what @leetdood said. Sour d is a clone only. Many people have worked with it and some just slapped the name on their seeds.
It is also a massive rabbit hole you can fall into. At the end of the day almost impossible to truly confirm anything. The story started in the days of black market, so little tangible proof.
Sour wonā€™t finish for me at 43 latitude. I want to try to finish it in a hoop house this year.
Outdoor is a whole different animal for cultivation than indoor.
Iā€™d look at c99 or some similar fast sativa for outdoor

2 Likes

Cloney has the most knowledge of it Iā€™ve seen out of anybody other than tehfrozen

2 Likes

@Emeraldgreen Good Luck with the hoop house. I totally forgot that I ordered a Diesel Haze Auto from Sensi Seeds 10 days ago. Iā€™m at 50Ā° North, I guess if I let a 80 day Auto stand for 95 or 100 days it might be close to finish.

I have Dream Queen a fast sativa from HSC going (grew it last year, effect was good but not as relaxing as the Diesel Cross Iā€™m smoking now). Green Poison an Indica dominant hybrid from Sweet Seeds is in my tent and Texada Timewarp and EEP an Erdbeerli Cross from Helvetic Seeds. They will all go outside in two weeks time maybe.

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan. Seed plants can go out earlier than clones. Iā€™d clone any photo or fast photo plant you have. If itā€™s something you like that does well in your environment then you will have it for next year.

1 Like

Cloney, tehfrozen are those usernames? Because I canā€™t find them with the search function.

2 Likes

CloneySoprano is a clone vendor. I donā€™t believe heā€™s on here. He does have a discord channel
Not familiar with the other name, suspect itā€™s instagram related

2 Likes

Discord and old overgrow related. Really I should keep my mouth shut haha

Cloney soprano has a website also,

2 Likes

Before genome analysis, you can look at podcasts, breeders, forum documentation. A good example would be Nspecta of CSI Humboldt who has been digging into the makeup of heirloom cuts via self pollination and hybridization. A lot of research and listening and verification goes a long way. Itā€™s how I got stuff like chem D

2 Likes

He will appreciate the support

1 Like