Ryan Lee of Chimera Genetics, The Potcast, MUST LISTEN

:evergreen_tree:

29 Likes

I added ā€˜must listenā€™ primarily for the explanation of:

cultivar vs variety aka ā€˜pheno vs strainā€™, afghanica/indica/sativa, etc.

ā€¦ & how itā€™s a collective learning process for us to learn the proper terminology & why the misused words have evolved. Iā€™ll probably never shake the habit of saying ā€œstrainā€! :sweat_smile:

Very topical! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

12 Likes

I finished listening to 3-part series last night. Very informing to say the least. The terminology used within our community certainly needs refining, Iā€™m guilty of it myself. The part I found really fascinating was where he actually advocates using only females for breeding, given that you still select out other stress-induced ā€œhermaphrodites.ā€ Iā€™ve thought about this myself and if done right could speed up progress and make selections easier in the long run. You just have to be willing to make that sacrifice. I hope in the future legalization allows cannabis to benefit from the other technologies and advances of botany, and science as a whole where it has been segregated from historically. Sounds like itā€™s headed that way.

14 Likes

Thank you. Very in depth

2 Likes

Amen, this was one of my favorite potcasts for sheer information download. The guy knows so much. I love his perspective on female breeding, but just super dense and interesting overall.

5 Likes

The common vernacular of the cannabis scene really needs an overhaul. I like how he addresses that. Not only the usage of ā€œstrainā€, but the silly indica/sativa classification. For the industry to move forward we all need to pull up our socks a bit and start using correct verbiage and classifications.

His discussion on gynocioeous breeding made total sense as wellā€¦ Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll ever bother with trying select a male going forward.

In fact right now Iā€™m seeding my female cuttings will reversed NL pollen :wink:

7 Likes

Does he talk about ā€œstrandsā€? lol :joy: I canā€™t find the meme. I bet @oleskool830 knows the one Iā€™m talking about.

1 Like

Can you provide a link to the first two parts of the Chimera interview? I canā€™t make sense of things on Soundtrack.

1 Like

@GMan - hereā€™s the whole collection:

------soundcloud.com/the_pot_cast

:v:

1 Like

Iā€™ve listened to the 3 parts twice. Alot of info to sort out. I have some incense haze now. Never ending search. SS story is veryā€‹:exploding_head::rofl:

4 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™m not sure why I couldnā€™t get to that page. I used to listen to it a lot a couple of years ago. There are some great interviews on his show. Heā€™s a great host. Iā€™ll love hearing this one. I listened to the 2 part Bodhi episodes a few times and really like it. Most all of them are good. peace

2 Likes

We discussed excluding the Y chromosome on another thread. Makes sense. I like the explanation in this interview about open pollination to lock in all possible variations, popping the seeds, and working with the female that has the traits/characteristics that are needed.

5 Likes

Besides a good listen, his lines are magic. Iā€™ve got 3 keepers from his White Lotus x Jack cross. His Blockhead/King cross was interesting but not to my taste. Got about four of his lines to pop still. Pretty pleased about that. I do need to listen again but am not completely sold on just female breeding. It might take longer but Iā€™ll stick with the old way. The guy is educated and has a tonne of experience but could still be not quite right on that one.

Totally agree it would be helpful to use proper horticultural terminology and also not believe the first stoner that sounds convincing when it comes to older breeders and their histories (specifically Sam Skunkman and the tales of CIA collusion). The amount of threads where stoners go on about that is both epic and lame.

12 Likes

letā€™s stay on topic :thinking:

:blush:

:evergreen_tree: Agreed with all but the last sentence @Mestizo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks - will give that thread a read!

For me, an all female approach is simpler. I donā€™t have space to sift through numbers, and if I can take known female a and reverse it to known female b (or itself) I think I have a better chance at maintaining a high quality.

3 Likes

@cannabissequoia @man-bot Hereā€™s another interesting conversation regarding the use of the term strain. Based on this conversation, strain is a biological and botanical term.

Also how plants with similar phenotypes express different chemotypes due to environment. This is because there isnā€™t a standard for growing conditions to maintain similar chemotypes.

6 Likes

What was wrong with the blockhead crosses? What flavor or high did they present? I have the hashplant jack and some incense haze crosses.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with the crosses. I only had two plants so not enough to go on really. They needed a cure to be fully appreciated. My understanding was the parent var was named Blockhead because it produced large apical dominant colas. The Blockhead/King cross had the opposite so I guess either the King (Pink Kush) reduced the size or there must have been some other form of vigour that the cross displayed that was preferable to the parent plants or that that wasnā€™t present in the two plants I grew. I just couldnā€™t see that from the two plants I grew apart from they had baby pink pistils attributed to the King. And I mean two plants from old stock is hardly enough to go on. I was just detailing my own experience. Theyā€™re made from older breeding stock and Chimera explains in the podcast that these lines would be different from modern varieties simply because gene pools were less altered and you would expect to find a broader range of phenotypic expression than modern worked filial generations. The seeds are like 15 years old but well stored. I popped another four packs of different crosses just recently. Dolce Sativa, Mental Floss, Cheese x Blockhead and Schnazzleberry 2. Doing a mad multi strain. Got my work cut out to stay on top.

5 Likes

Glad some of you found it interesting. Cheers

23 Likes

:partying_face:

Wow - are you stuck in an elevator somewhere @Chimera ? Iā€™m feelin starstruck but am very happy when OG gets a visit from elder braddahs. :call_me_hand:

Recently heard the debunking of Dave Watsonā€™s CIA-DEA mythology & itā€™s still tough to shake my stoner suspicion :sweat_smile:

Aloha

2 Likes