White or black widow

High OGs,

searching for the best white widow.

Should i go with Ingmar or mister nice?

Only regs.

What is your experience?

Thank you.

6 Likes

I grew black widow outside last year and only smoked white widow. I prefer the white widow buzz over the black because the black widow has more of a dreamy just sit there and day dream as the white widow is more up and social

4 Likes

It is the same strain, one breeder calls it white and the other calls it black widow.

I am searching for the most original like before 2000.

4 Likes

Shantibaba is credited with breeding the original White Widow in '94. As I understand it, when he joined up with Mr. Nice, he changed the name to Black Widow, but it’s supposed to be the same strain. I don’t know if he’s still got the original parents or not, but someone here probably does. I have some BW seeds, but haven’t popped any yet.

I did grow some Seedsman WW fems last year outside, and they were pretty impressive. The biggest one, Bertha, :slight_smile: topped out at 11’. I don’t know how wide she was, but I couldn’t reach all the way around her. :slight_smile:
:guitar:

9 Likes

By any chance, do you know how Ingmar fits into the White Widow story? I’ve always heard conflicting accounts of who’s responsible for what in those early Dutch days.

And the reason I ask is because I always thought that Ingmar changed the named to Black Widow. Granted I was never on Mr Nice forums nor bought their seeds

2 Likes

The Seedsman blog has a story about it:

The Origins Of White Widow

It’s a pretty good article. They come down on Shanti’s side, but they give their reasons, so that’s fine for me.

Here’s an excerpt:

According to an interview for the German cannabis magazine Grow; a breeder named Ingemar is also accredited with inventing the White Widow strain. This is where the history of the plant becomes problematic. Ingemar was apparently working on some strains for the Green House Seed Company in the past, much like he is now, and he quite possibly had a hand in developing the White Widow strain but apparently not in discovering it. He seems to have substantial support from the Dutch growing community but there is little in terms of historical data to support his claim. Ingemar says that the seeds for the White Widow hybrid were accidentally found in a batch of hand rubbed hashish and that the strain was then worked on for some six years before it was released.

Ingemar has not to this day disclosed any detailed information on the Widow or provided any proof that the plant indeed came from him, besides his own words. The degree of his involvement in the making of this highly regarded strain might never reach the light of day without further investigation.
:guitar:

3 Likes

yup! there´s no big difference between!

some say Shanti made the original,some say Ingemar did it. i was reading Ingemar was the creator bevor i ever heard of Shantibaba…
it´s just a Ami vs.Euro Thing,i guess

2 Likes

Ok. Thanks for your answers.

Has anyone tried black widow? To grow or the bud?

Would prefer regular seeds.

Or what do you think?

2 Likes

I’ve tried both, they are basically the same, depending on grow, and can be interchanged when needed. I may grow white widow because I ran out of black widow seeds or clones, that is the only reason.

regards,

1 Like

Thank you.

You always gave so much great info.
:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

This is what i found:

"Ingemar (De Sjamaan) invented WW already in 1987. […]
It was called Arnhem’s Wonder and already won the first HL cup in 1989. […]
For those who don’t believe this, please call Coffeeshop Catweazel or Roger from the grow shop; they worked with Ingmar for a long time.
Roger has always sold the clones he had. He had a famous grow shop in Nijmegen. I bought the male and female among other plants in 1992 and only crossed them in 1994. I did not have to do any breading on the White Widow at that time because Ingemar had already done it for us.
And to this day you can still buy original clones of the White Widow in that area of Holland.

Don t know which story is true.

Want not grow any greenhouse gear and they are fems.

Read on mister nice forum nobody grows black widow since 2019 there is something wrong.

This can t be the original.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

HAD/GREW a ton White Widow back in 99-01.

HAD/GREW Black Widow from Mr Nice.

Maybe I didn’t get the right pheno from the 5 females I grew out but was not impressed. Smell was there but white resinous crystals were not. Overall good weed but not what i remember IMO.

1 Like