Who uses 1 gallon pots?

I like doing coco in 1 gallon pots. Hand watering daily should work in plastic if they’re not too big, but drip is better. You’ll probably want a drip system for fabric pots.

How about ebb & flow? Easy way to manage lots of smaller plants.

4 Likes

Many plants and limited space?
(Photos taken with a dishwasher)
image_2023081
image_2019717

100+ plants in 2x10 floor space :heart:

With a tad denser soil mix and mulching you should be good for 3-4 days easy between waterings

11 Likes

So I hit the store and got some 1 gal and 1.58 gallon pots. I will use the bigger ones for the more vigorous plants. Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I use 1.5gal square “rose buckets” that are just under 8” on each side. I tend to grow from clones, without topping. I veg my plants till they’re about a foot tall, then they usually end up about 30”
These got a bit bushier than I like, but you get to see from starting (roughly 10 days into bloom on the left) to near finish.

I’ve had them packed right up to each other, but I didn’t veg my plants long enough for run in this pic.

16 Likes

strain depending my gg4 need 2 weeks veg and end up about 3.5 feet tall ran in flood and drain 1 gallon pots in coco. jacks 3 2 1 start to finish 24 plants per 4x4 = 1.5 lbs of nugs.

for a seed run i would use soil so you can water less often veg 2 weeks from clone no topping. maybe look into a drip system or flood table and use coco ? and go 16 per table incase you need to bend some to keep canopy even?

28 Likes

The only time I would use and stay with such a small pot until harvest is if it promoted root development and with no root spinout. Gardening is all about the roots, period. There are many systems out there some using copper paints and some using air/light to terminate root tips. This results in double the mass in half the footprint.

Case in point, years ago I treated 1 gal pots with Griffin’s Spin-out, a root pruning system I had been using for years. Here’s the results for those that haven’t seen this.

I use large, bottom less RootBuilder “pots” in the greenhouse. Here’s a shot after busting the cable ties to add (expand) the bed by adding a couple of panels and backfilling. Good technique for outdoor growers.

Note there’s no root spin out resulting in a very profuse, efficient root system.

6 Likes

Since your doing a seed run and don’t want big plants I would keep it simple and use soil with vermiculite to help hold water. The one gallon pots will keep your plants from getting huge. If you use coco your going to wind up with much larger plants and a more complex grow. Your just making seeds. I would keep it simple

4 Likes

After seeing what can be accomplished in a 16 oz cup, my whole take on this changed. Now that said bigger is better. I have used tupperware storage containers for a “tray” and 4 inch pots w/ coco/perlite. Didn’t yield much less than one gallons.

At the local shop, 2 gallon pots for coco/perlite for a full size plant, 3 gallon for water only is recommended for a respectable harvest

2 Likes

I went with a few 1 gallon airpots for my auto run and they’re ok. I would use them for photos in the future, specially seedruns where yield wasn’t important, but not for autos again.

I did grow a photo in a one liter airpot though and the thing really didn’t mind all that much.

4 Likes

@YoBigdaddy uses I gallon pots. He is currently laid up with covid, but may be feeling well enough to see this…
I’ve finished Sativas in one gallon pots. Great way to fit more plants in for a pheno hunt.

5 Likes

Would you say fabric pots produce a similar root mass with no treatments?

I use 1g pots as well… though not alone, I put two of them in a 5g tote to use as a reservoir. Two of them fit with very little room to spare, so it doesn’t take up any more room than 1g pots alone, but allows me to fill the bottom of the 1g pots with a wicking material and then fill the reservoirs rather than watering the pots. That lets them go a lot longer between feedings, since I can put up to a gallon of water in at once rather than watering each separately a pint at a time.

3 Likes

this was the point with the tupperware container and 4 inch pots

I can put 6 in a container like this and water them all at once and they will wick it up. And I can move them without them falling over.

IIRC I could get 2- 1 gallons in a tray that size.

10 Likes

If the system directs the roots where the tips are exposed to air/light then yes, you’ll get root tip termination resulting in root branching from that point to about 4" back. Think of it as topping but done underground. Pot does all the work for you.

I’ve used RootTrapper but never found out about the results since I sold the little, newly grafted trees later. Here’s the construction which is a fabric lining coated with a permeable polymer.

5 Likes

I thought the fabric pots were similar. Nice to use nothing but a fabric container for air pruning. My only complaint is that they dry out quickly, so copper is a nice alternative for regular pots. Where did you get it?

Google. It’s expensive. MicroKote would be a better choice.

DIY. Never made it from scratch. Chemical Root Prunning? Homemade Spin-out | Rollitup

My Jaqylyns Seen to like the one gallons solids.I like to go from solo to half gallon to one gallon.It gives them a steady pace I think.

5 Likes

Beautiful plant

1 Like

I wondered about if you would have to do that.

1 Like