Who uses 1 gallon pots?

I expect much more watering and grow in coco. There is no way for me to not piss off my wife if I tried to plunk down 15 x 5 gallon pots, they would be everywhere, lol.

6 Likes

I bought em because they are skinny and tall…and cheap. Like ten bucks for 50. They have worked great. Bit if you grow giant trees they can tip over when dry pretty easy lol

4 Likes

Roots can grow much more densely in coco due to more aeration. When I grew in coco with autofeed, I would use 50/50 coco perlite and almost always <1gal pots for full size plants.

The downside is that the smaller the pot is, the more fickle everything becomes. That period in early/mid bloom where they start drinking a ton is easy to miss, and if the medium dries up it’s hard to recover.

10 Likes

Here’s a couple photos. You can see the whole pot is roots. You can also see these two are not small plants. Still only needed water 1x per day.

25 Likes

Very cool. Perhaps I will mix it up a bit. Use some 3 gallon fabric pots I already have for the more vigorous ones and smaller 1 gallons for the rest. Those plants are defiantly a nice size, especially when I am doing a seed run.

2 Likes

Thanks @lefthandseeds , that is defiantly a concern. Well if nothing else this is going to be an adventure, lol.

1 Like

I’ve got the hard black nursery pots and fabric bags for 1 gals, going side by side right now. The plastic pots do seem to hold moisture a bit longer. Might give you an extra half day between waterings.

5 Likes

That first one looks big enough stock it could pass for a Christmas tree

2 Likes

I use 1gal square pots for my auto’s.

I also veg in 1gal for my photos until they show sex. Females then go into 3-5g, males stay in the 1gal or up pot into a 2 or 3gal.

2 Likes

I have flowered in 1 gallon pots quite a few times. As already said just keep up on the watering.

1 Like

After doing a few beer cup grows a gallon is plenty. As said, more watering. I grew in coco but since I am trying to grow 30 plants I went to soil, bought a yard of it and baked it to get rid of any critters.

Just put them into flower. Expect them to get root bound but as long as they have water they will be fine. Doing soil to reduce the watering some. Will not grow as fast but I am ok with that. I should have the Dollar Store as a sponsor.

14 Likes

I like doing coco in 1 gallon pots. Hand watering daily should work in plastic if they’re not too big, but drip is better. You’ll probably want a drip system for fabric pots.

How about ebb & flow? Easy way to manage lots of smaller plants.

4 Likes

Many plants and limited space?
(Photos taken with a dishwasher)
image_2023081
image_2019717

100+ plants in 2x10 floor space :heart:

With a tad denser soil mix and mulching you should be good for 3-4 days easy between waterings

11 Likes

So I hit the store and got some 1 gal and 1.58 gallon pots. I will use the bigger ones for the more vigorous plants. Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I use 1.5gal square “rose buckets” that are just under 8” on each side. I tend to grow from clones, without topping. I veg my plants till they’re about a foot tall, then they usually end up about 30”
These got a bit bushier than I like, but you get to see from starting (roughly 10 days into bloom on the left) to near finish.

I’ve had them packed right up to each other, but I didn’t veg my plants long enough for run in this pic.

16 Likes

strain depending my gg4 need 2 weeks veg and end up about 3.5 feet tall ran in flood and drain 1 gallon pots in coco. jacks 3 2 1 start to finish 24 plants per 4x4 = 1.5 lbs of nugs.

for a seed run i would use soil so you can water less often veg 2 weeks from clone no topping. maybe look into a drip system or flood table and use coco ? and go 16 per table incase you need to bend some to keep canopy even?

28 Likes

The only time I would use and stay with such a small pot until harvest is if it promoted root development and with no root spinout. Gardening is all about the roots, period. There are many systems out there some using copper paints and some using air/light to terminate root tips. This results in double the mass in half the footprint.

Case in point, years ago I treated 1 gal pots with Griffin’s Spin-out, a root pruning system I had been using for years. Here’s the results for those that haven’t seen this.

I use large, bottom less RootBuilder “pots” in the greenhouse. Here’s a shot after busting the cable ties to add (expand) the bed by adding a couple of panels and backfilling. Good technique for outdoor growers.

Note there’s no root spin out resulting in a very profuse, efficient root system.

6 Likes

Since your doing a seed run and don’t want big plants I would keep it simple and use soil with vermiculite to help hold water. The one gallon pots will keep your plants from getting huge. If you use coco your going to wind up with much larger plants and a more complex grow. Your just making seeds. I would keep it simple

4 Likes

After seeing what can be accomplished in a 16 oz cup, my whole take on this changed. Now that said bigger is better. I have used tupperware storage containers for a “tray” and 4 inch pots w/ coco/perlite. Didn’t yield much less than one gallons.

At the local shop, 2 gallon pots for coco/perlite for a full size plant, 3 gallon for water only is recommended for a respectable harvest

2 Likes

I went with a few 1 gallon airpots for my auto run and they’re ok. I would use them for photos in the future, specially seedruns where yield wasn’t important, but not for autos again.

I did grow a photo in a one liter airpot though and the thing really didn’t mind all that much.

4 Likes