.Worried cus my plants r not done and it's getting colder

Had to check my Amazon account lol 10 Gall

No worries. I was just wondering if having your plants in the ground or having them in pots makes any difference with the cold temps. And also how much selecting the right genetics plays a roll in cold weather.

potted in 20gal. not mulched. all are sativa dom.

Gotcha. Seems loke maybe the sativas play a big role

Indeed, and my property is fairly dark due to trees, it’s kind of maddening.

2 Likes

i was very surprised how cold hardy these plants are with no protection considering the malawi gold mother is 100% sativa african landrace. its that hybrid vigor imparted by the straw. sour d. that must make the difference. ill be rocking these next spring myself for sure. i grew out my seeds for him for nothing but a zip so he’s damned pleased. suffers from bipolar/ ocd so this is what keeps him sane. refuses meds.

1 Like

Petes place is like that. he only gets 6hrs direct sunlight there. I’m surprised his plants did so well there just growing organically.

Thats rad! What strain is it?

malawi gold from seeds of africa and strawberry sour diesel from devils harvest.

2 Likes

I moved just two of them on the very edge corner of another side of my property a couple of weeks back, there is not much sun space there so it only could fit 2 and it becomes in public view there but I am glad I did, in my case, the sun is everything. In the front, they look so nice compared to the ones in the back in the darker spot. They look great, almost done or at least much further along than the rest. It is very hit or misses with the other ones outback though, on all fronts, quality and size and general health how far along.

2 Likes

So, I ended up moving many plants indoors at night! but only for a few days for most ( those plants were sucking anyways) as well as I implemented a “throw a bunch of leaves at it” program for others plants lol I thinks for some-plants it was too late.
Mistake made: I burnt some roots, putting the pots on my lil wooden deck early on, effected the two plants in plastic grow bags, the rest were in fabric pots. ( 10 gallon for both )
Also failed to get some side protection from cold winds on roots. Over fertilized once.
Conclusion: 10 plants attempted.
varying levels of being weed lol much of it crap unfinished throw in the concentrates and one great outstandingly dense even the mini’s are super dense. a pleasure to trim.
Everything smells just great! the smallest the greatest lol it’s true. Sweet Banner smell. I just wished I was int a 1-10 or say kinda 2-10 winner Biggest thing learned this grow. The plant most hidden from cold wind did better. .

![2020-05-15 06.12.04|666x500]

6 Likes

As long as they don’t freeze you will be OK… temperatures below freezing… better bring em indoors to be safe. Do they actually have bugs or you just being paranoid? I bring in house plants all the time.

2 Likes

chopping mine today. they haven’t grown anymore for about 20days now. most of the hairs are colored so no reason to keep them out there. supposed to hit 22f tonight. 2 sour diesels. one from dinafem the other from dutch passion. this is the 1st time leaving them out there this late without heat and i had less problems with mold than when i closed them up and heated at night.

2 Likes

Keeping roots warm with lots of mulch makes a big difference! Easier if plants are in the ground, but when in pots, you can always bring them in…certainly genetics make a difference, as does the maturity of the plant when the cold hits. I had hardy malana plants get frosted 5 days in a row just 2 weeks into flower, and they never recovered. Slowed them right down, but didn’t kill them. Once a plant is close to maturity, they are more apt to power through the cold snaps.

2 Likes

I think my plants would have fared better in the ground. The cold wind visually looked like it was penetrating the fabric pots, Next time I am doing in ground and I will see. Also I am choosing a proven Canadian strain. I ordered some Friese Land fem seeds. I may even start crossing The Friese with other proven local Out Door Strains like big bud, blue berry to start.

Interesting. We’ll have to track you’re findings. Science!

1 Like

If you have done od often is there a particular strain you have had finish the absolutely fastest. and not just one freak plant like the strain was fast finishing in general?

most of the faster skunks, cheeses, kushes, n.lights and white widows are done no later than late oct. here. others push into early nov. or later. my portable greenhouse really extends the season here keeping rain off the buds come fall. dont try and make it airtight to keep in heat. leave it open to let moisture come out and keep a fan on them. i went to mid. nov. here with no mold on the buds. they easily survived mid 20’sF with no damage other than bigger fan leaves but by then the plant was done bulking anyway. just waited for tricomes to color… the green house protected them from the worst cold .i just watered them enough to keep them alive at the end. i think that helped with the mold issue also. im currently breeding high sativa autos for seed right now. once i have enough im going to grow 1/2 autos and half regs.in there so i get crop 2xs spreading out the harvest. the formula 1 auto from seedsman is a beast of a plant ! easily doubling its growth from my other 2 strains right now. allare crossed with a vigorous growing male plant from Coreys auto seed collection. should be interesting what i get. going to do another grow after this using the spotted lime autos crossed with the formula 1. that should rock as well! going to have reg. auto seed coming out my eyeballs by spring! :wink: no more $10-15 per seed from breeders ! :wink:

1 Like

I turned to an old school local classic that was overproduced sold for dirt cheap often loved and laughed at, in a desperate attempt to try and ensure I pull something from my back yard next year and ironically had to order my local bred beans from the UK to get them in my Canadian hands and that strain is the Friese Land. I also quickly spun through the rabbit hole of possibility’s breeding it. even envisioned a logo that steals from Dickie Dee’s a company that utilizes bicycles to sell ice cream and sell Freiseis like Lemon Freise, Cherry Freize, etc Then I found a dude who basically did that, So now I am thinking I also saw something old and proven called Gorilla Gold ( no Gorilla Glue in it ) an outdoor Early Gold x (Afghan x Mighty Mite) f7, I will have to see it’s a late August-early Sept, 2-4 ounce yielder. I may just secure a mom of both and attempt to fem seeds a bunch of back up’s and then try some crosses.

1 Like

My one breed goal, I hope to eventually and think I will achieve, and not for making the most coated hurt your head strain but for making one that I love the taste and it makes me happy and warm original famed by the now missing in action Flying Dutchmen is to secure primary for my self and yes I would love to try a zillion combos but I am always happy with this one and hope to source both components from many sources and bring the strongest sweetest best together is BLUEBERRY SKUNK. Not for out door though for in.