Landrace strains for Canadians

Hey Budz, I would like to talk to people about growing landraces in Canada. I know it might not make sese to some with Canadas’ short summers but have have some success. This year I am going to attempt durban Poison - regular seeds.

11 Likes

How far north are you? For me it’s too big a risk. They maaaaaay be finished before frost but probably not.

6 Likes

Most years, I am lucky if I could get an 8 week flower period to finish growing outside before getting bud rot.

5 Likes

Not a landrace but a very old Northern heirloom, great site for high latitude outdoor genetics just use Google Translate on the site:

5 Likes

west/south-west africaan landraces, north vietnam landraces. Less a joke than it appear.
Tested in high altitude Alps, not Canada.

3 Likes

It is going to depend on your latitude; I’m at 54 north and no photo will ever finish here before the frost unless you do light dep or bring them in to finish flowering. My friends in southern Ontario seem to be able to flower out some beasts though.

5 Likes

If anyone is interested this is a neat old THCFarmer post from someone in Denmark talking about the origins of their outdoor heirlooms, it sounds like their acclimated Lebanese and Nepalese would be a good bet for “landrace”

This is another classic cold climate strain, Erdbeer, bred to another Swiss Alpine strain:

https://www.aceseeds.org/en/erdpurt-feminized-seeds.html

Same crosses basically but from a different group, Swiss preservationist collective:

It seems that Esbe of Hybrids from Hell is generally considered THE MAN when it comes to Nordic outdoor breeders, his seeds are available at Nordic Genetics and Cannapot both I believe, and he’s part of Derg Corra Collective with Bald Man Lala and others who do preservation too.

7 Likes

Awesome thread!!!

:heart:

2 Likes

Southern Ontario is the best environment in Canada to grow cannabis hands down. Yea bc sucks in comparison. Sorry to butt hurt y’all but it’s true :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I thought the humidity in Southern Ontario is oppressive in the summer. Lots of bud rot I bet. The okanogan and nelson area are really good to grow in. But better than Edmonton thats for sure haha.

3 Likes

Correct on humidity it you just need to pick the proper strain. I guess what I’m trying to say is you guys are quite a bit more north so you need a lot more quicker plants we can get away with early sativa‘s here and pretty much anything I’ve tried hybrid wise finishes.

2 Likes

You want to get hold of the old biker cut of Canadian Crinkle, that’s the best cut out of Canada for early finishes in cold climates.
Cross that with hfh gear if need be.

3 Likes

Yep. This is why my outdoor selection is based on mold resistance!

The Manitoba Poison I run acts like an autoflower :rofl: , last year was cropped on August 1st blowing my mind and it’s my daily smoke since!

Another one I found takes the SOnt hits and just keeps going is UK Cheese.

This years new trying it out include: Texada Timewarp (BC strain) and Buddha’s Cane, the latter created by @ShitSeeds who is also in S.Ont. and this is the only one I’m keeping a solid eye on as it’s colas get BIG and I recall a few folks having rot in the middle near Sept/oct.

4 Likes

That’s a Texada fact I’ve experienced myself.
Mold formed inside one of the giant 24" buds around beginning of October as the weather starts to dip a little bit.

4 Likes

Was this the Texada or the B.Cane @ShitSeeds ?
Thanks for the info! Considering these are both your gear I’m very grateful for any warnings! :smiley:

4 Likes

This was the Texada. That plant has some huge buds. Bad luck for me 2 season back.

Buddhas Cane however, is a bushy girl so I like to keep her skirt waaaay up high and possibly avoid trapped air. I also blow her down with a leaf blower after heavy rain.

6 Likes

They’ve all been topped as is and have many branches going so far. :+1:
I already do the leaf-blower thing but will double up and defoliate hard when the time comes.

2 Likes

Another old thread about Esbe’s northern outdoor adapted lines that are still circulating, by Dubi from ACE:

6 Likes

Foreigner,
Rayman here. I am in Nova Scotia. My plan is to cover the starting colas up in late July and allow them only 12 hours of light to see if it tricks the plants into growing buds.

3 Likes

My go to for many years…would love to get ahold of that one again.

2 Likes