Would you use 2 lights or 1?

I have a predicament. I ran 400w in a 2x4 last cycle. Was not able to really ever get the tent to cool properly and it’s not sustainable over summer. So I have 2 200w panels. If I turn the lights to 50% cools fine.

Would you use 1 200w at full strength for better intensity OR 2x 200w at 50% for better coverage?

7 Likes

Me myself would use the OR 2x 200 at 50, just cause of heat but that’s just me,

4 Likes

I was leaning this way too but wasn’t sure about losing the intensity from being at 100%, still feel like there’sa good amount of light though.

@VIVOSUN any suggestions?

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I would do then when you able to get the heat under control bump it up a little at a time

1 Like

I run 300w in a 2x4 at 100% and according to conventional wisdom I run too hot. I don’t think it makes a difference unless you’re talking crazy crazy hot.

5 Likes

I run between 85 and 90 right now. I agree you don’t always need to be under the 85 line, I just tried passing it to 75% but I don’t think that will stay.

My plants turned out great this run, no heat stress, but I’d expect it to be even worse over summer

2 Likes

Yeah I’m having a little trouble with heat myself but mine still look great I guess

1 Like

This, they will last longer too.

Same with cars, or anything really, you run something full tilt all the time it’s gonna wear out faster.

With dimmed light that’s more scattered, your plants will not get stressed as much as with full intensity of one light.

9 Likes

Hey bud, I’d also go with two for the light spread, if you run them at 50% and lower them by half you shouldn’t loose much if any intensity?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/inverse-square-law#:~:text=Light%20intensity%20decreases%20with%20distance,called%20the%20Inverse%20Square%20Law.

5 Likes

Use 2 for better light spread.

1 Like

Actual science! Thank you!

Kinda surprised everyone is on the 2 light train, I thought people would learn more towards intensity. But obviously I want to use two if it’s better I mean who doesn’t want more and bigger right?

Thanks all for the response!

5 Likes

I would run 2 and hook a Thermostat to 1 so it shuts off at say 90ish. Then you can play around with intesity to fine tune. I have a tent with 4 led lights 2 65 and 2 130 watt just for summer that I run this way.

3 Likes

How do have that hooked up?

At first just one pluged into Thermostat that shuts off at 90 kick back on in couple mins when temp drop to 88 with fan doesn’t take long. As it gets hotter hook 2 up to it.

2 Likes

I was surprised no one mentioned lowering the light fixtures before. Seems to my simple outdoor grower’s mind that that would be of great benefit in this situation. thumbs-up

8 Likes

Yeah I’m sold on keeping the two over one, I really liked the comparison in that article to sound and maintaining the multiple light spectrums by having a wider array of diodes across the two panels.

I did overlook that part in his comment though about lowering the lights to compensate for the lost intensity so glad you doubled back on that.

3 Likes

We’re all here for each other! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One thing that drew me to the ViparSpectra KS is the detached ballast. If I need some heat I place the driver inside the grow area. It can also be adjusted between 100%, 75, 50, 25, and OFF. Love this thing.

10 Likes

Vote for 2 for better spread

2 Likes

This.
Unless the 1x 200w’s throw is even.

As an example in one of my 2x4’s I was using 2x Mars Hydro TS1000’s, but then when my 4x4 got upgraded with a bar-type fixture I swapped out the 2x fixtures for 1x TSL2000 pulled from the 4x4 as it’s got amazing coverage for that space hence me using 2 of them for the 4x4.

This all being said; when I have heat issues it’s usually because I’m not venting outdoors but this is also due to the environment my tents are in… :rofl:

I hope you find your solution soon friend! :v:

4 Likes