Plant developing weird smells

What are the weird and wonderful plants you’ve encountered, the ones that leave an imprint?
I have seen people mention motor oil, dead carcass, rubber. Not only strange scents but how they develop as well.

My current KnC have gone from fresh lemon candy to vinegary hemp sweat, then earthy musk/mold and cookie.
A stick in your throat musty that makes your salivary glands ache like you’ve had something too sour, lungs itch, weird.

@cogitech grew a Kush relative as well and had a similar issue. Turns out there was no mold, went from musty moldy funk to banana after cure.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

12 Likes

These are Lavender Frosting. (Stem rubs) The female smells like slim jims and the male smells like greasy breakfast sausage. So strange…

9 Likes

Nature farm Red Eye skunk smells like new shoe soles and some like burning alternator belt.and had a few smell like baby diapers and garbage can slime in the summer. Disgusting but good its weird .

9 Likes

Had a gg4xog kush that smelled like licorice or anise at one point (I hate anise), cured to a wonderful dank berry or grape smell. Its actually the best smelling plant from the 3, now that its cured.

5 Likes

Some plants naturally have a musty note to their terp profile. My first grow years back I ran an Afghani that was very earthy, piney and musty. It smelled musty from very early in flower, RH was pretty low and another grower of the same cut had the same thing going on, so I know full well there wasn’t any kind of mold issue. I ran a Star Pupil x Weapon X freebie from MMS for awhile that was strong on the pencil shaving/fresh rubber funk. I tend to really love a lot of funky terps. My holy grail is something like this, Strong skunk spray, asphalt, burnt rubber, and fuel. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the nice, fruity, food type terps too but I really dig the strong funk. I remember smoking some crap my buddy got back when I was like 11 that tasted like straight up sausage. At the time I thought it was disgusting but my strange pallet had not yet developed😄

6 Likes

Sounds like a cheeze-a-holics wet dream, only to be opened outside enclosed buildings, protective gear required should it touch something except a cracker and your mouth :rofl:

2 Likes

I made a cross that had a smell I didn’t care for at all. Like broccoli when it starts to go yellow. Smokes fine but smells really weird. Here she is. Looks fine all things considered:

10 Likes

Grew out some hand collected seeds of a member from a pot farm in early to mid 70’s, no idea on strains but in those days it was mostly landraces and first crosses. I was new here and had no seeds only 15 GG4 JW cuts. He has a whole jar as many members wish they still had including me. I had a few germinate and actually grow nice big single tops. First plant was bland carrot taste low THC buz. The second had a nice mossy earth and herb smell but when you start breaking it up it starts reeking of a leather tannery. Smoke is acrid and there’s a bit of burnt rubber in the exhale. Knowledgeable old timer told me Mazar plants will smell like that…
:metal::sunglasses:

6 Likes

Pulga from Cocogenes had a straight-up dill pickle stem rub on two different plants. The frost killed them before they finished unfortunately. Strangest smell I’ve ever encountered with cannabis.

6 Likes

It looks kinda moldy on the top of that bud. Could just be the picture

3 Likes

You could be right, those threads look a little suspect.
Sodium bicarb spray?

2 Likes

That’s crazy to hear. I grew out 3 of Katsu’s Xanadu (BA Haze#7 x Pre98 Bubba) and the most haze leaning one has a very dill not that a pick up some times as well as a sharp/almost acidic note that reminds me of pickles. The Dill is a little fleeting though and seems to blend with carrot top and caraway notes. A little hazy/incense/woodsy rounds out the bouquet.

Little weird at first but I dig the flavor and aroma. There was not a noticeable Dill note while the plant was growing though, just more of the hazy woodsy notes.

The only other line I’ve heard associated with dill is Willy G’s Lebanese from HSC.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s the first time I’ve heard that one!
:rofl:
:metal:

3 Likes

I would suggest to try and take a look inside the bud. If it is showing on the outside it’s already too late in my opinion. Then from there I would inspect everything else in the room.

1 Like

Damn you have a good eye.

2 Likes

I’ve never used any kind of product with mold.

1 Like

Thanks. After having a couple heart breaks due to mold then you are subjected to having a keen eye for it. But I do not know for sure if that picture is showing mold or not.

3 Likes

Broke that nug up, the inside looked fine, seems like its just the tip of the bud leaf in the middle.
Man the stink got uncontrollable for my setup, chopped and submerged in light chlorine water, no idea if its the mold or the plant.
Going to try a round with a cut of that one, treat it with a strong systemic fungicide and run it again.

1 Like

meaty smells huh? what soil or mix did you use?

1 Like

2 Likes