Causes of low smell during flower

Sup OG,

Was wondering what environmental factors could lead to plants not having much or any noticeable smell all throughout flower?

Something to do with nutrients, humidity, etc? Or is it just 100% genetics?

I know I’ve heard high temps can mess with terps/smell but is there anything else that anyone knows of?

7 Likes

Mostly genetics it seems.

2 Likes

Like Rogue said most likely genetics but it could also be something bad like a viroid. Hopefully not the latter because dudding or something can ruin a mother room. Did you take any clones in from someone/somewhere you don’t know?

2 Likes

Some plants just don’t smell

2 Likes

Nah, no clones. Some seeds I ran both outdoor and indoor. Beautiful plants, huge yields just no smell at all during flowering unless I physically broke the trichomes and sniffed my finger.

2 Likes

You’re good than man.

2 Likes

Only enviromental thing I see causing that is good fan and filter working.
But onto the lack of smell. Some phenos won’t smell but does not mean they will be trash.

I have 2 chem4 x boo now. One rancid orange other no real smell. Just light clean maybe hint o citrus. But I’m thinking the less smelly one in my case here is probably my keeper.

3 Likes

Mainly just genetics and varying phenos. Some plants are actually bred toward low smell for discrete growing.

4 Likes

I can confirm this.I had the same experience on my last grow,the two girls you see in my profile picture were smelling totally different.The One on the left smelled like rancid fruit,very strong and powerful.The other girl like pine or citrus.After harvest,and cure,they got different smell,totally,but very strong both on effect!So smell Is not a 100% factor of a strong plant

2 Likes

Running cooler temps with cause less smells as fewer volatile terpenes are breaking down…

Reason why plants smell heftier shortly after lights on…

12 Likes

True. I run low temps always w ton of light though.
It definitely Does preserve those terps and smell is overall minimal I don’t even run filter just heavy exhaust off the hoods.

3 Likes

Only time I really smell my plants is if I forget to water and they droop and the fan makes them rub on themselves… but yea… Some strong smelling strains have the potency of poo and some non smellers will rock your face off… All in the terp matchup I believe

8 Likes

Anybody else notice plants smelling more strongly right before lights out besides after lights on? I know I have, but couldn’t think of any sensical reason for it. “The plants know it’s almost lights out, that’s why they’re ramping up their smells” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Starting to build up terps before the lights go completely out…then they get their production on lol

3 Likes

I’m between 65 and 72 in my grow area, and I can say thats my one complaint… It doesn’t smell!! Like weed at least. Blueberries smell like an orchard, but thats it… NO skunky smells at all…

I also think genetics plays a part… But I definitely can get on board with lower temps = lower scents…

5 Likes

Hmm… yeah I run very low temps like max 72-73. Temps dipped to 58 a few times this winter during lights out. Maybe that’s why…

1 Like

Genetics.

Stinky plants are undeniable. They’ll stink in any condition or setup.

If you suddenly can’t smell the plants at all…you might have COVID lol. It’s actually how I figured out that I had it haha.

It happened to me a few weeks back. Suddenly plants in full bloom smelled like nothing.

6 Likes

Hopefully I find a stinker this run then… got bodhis snuggle funk, kush#4 x ssdd as well as rare dankness’ Rare Darkness which is a grape ape cross

2 Likes

Bump

Looks like everyone agrees, you all need new genetics. The breeders have bred for veg terps not flower terps

The primary cause of low smell is boron deficiency.

4 Likes