Your expert opinions on these please

Iron? :thinking: What’s odd to me is the soil in all of these is pretty consistent & has me thinking she’d got the :clap: … :rolling_eyes:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Give the old man a quick run down.

We are in soil. Are we in flip. How large is the container?

First blush is they are hungry, and maybe looking root bound too if that is soil I see.

2 Likes

Hmm. Yeah, you’re right on there. 2 gallons, about 5th wk vegging 20/4 from transplanted clone. And to think about it it might have gotten a bit of re-used soil mix. I fed MegaCrop at 2g/gal (pretty weak i think not sure) a week ago & may give it another go. The re-used soil part and the damned-purple stems make me think the pH is off, whacking the iron availability…(?)

But, yeah, that first blush answer should probably be enough :blush: :thumbsup:

Gonna go pull the Smoke Tree seeds out of the fridge right now. Dang it.

:smile:

3 Likes

Not a fan of re-used soil, unless it has run through my compost pile for revitalization.

4 Likes

I have no expert opinions as I’m no expert, but I thought purple stems meant potassium deficiency.

2 Likes

When was the last time you checked pH and PPM?

3 Likes

Never o’clock p.m. :smile: These are for seed making so i haven’t been as kind as with my med. plants. If i get some distilled water i may try the fancy runoff test.

I’m in need of who to use as an affordable soil testing lab for my yards of “hot” vermicompost if anyone knows… may have to post that separately.

2 Likes

Don’t test the runoff, it is inaccurate. Test a 1:1 solution (pH neutral, low PPM water : soil from right outside the root mass near the edge of the container about two inches down)

1 Like

Usually purple stems ( if not genetic) , are a sign of phosphorus def i believe… but i reckon it’s iron, cal/mag or/and other micro nutes. - or simply rootbound and hungry.
Good luck @cannabissequoia ,
Gaz

3 Likes

Excess Potassium causing Iron/zinc lockout? did this occur after feeding?
maybe also
Deficient Phosphorous?

PH really shouldn’t matter in soil as soil/microbes are a PH buffer
for example my toms grew in coco last year, had PH issues and needed to adjust every week, they are in soil this year and have not even checked PH once and they are healthy

I would flush Heavily with a 10% feed solution (at least three times the pot volume but more is better)

1 Like

A run in soil CAN go perfectly well with minimal considerations paid to pH, but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t keep an eye on pH. Even with a healthy soil food web you can accumulate too many salts and have your PPM and pH get all out of whack. Frequent measurement of pH and PPM is a good base for the prevention of many different maladies.

3 Likes

Yes agreed hence the flushing, its possible soil was overfed and PH is bad

I reuse soil in my fruit and veg plants (up to 5 years) all the time, never been an issue
I flush/wet heavily once a week and drip feed 2 mins a day and have no issues with PH
Which is why Im suggesting a flush of 10%

I would say frequent flushing is just as good, I just like to keep it simple

There is a chance this is caused by overwatering which flushing will not help

2 Likes

purple stems isnt normal or a genetic trait?

1 Like

UnIess the food is 100% organic, PH is the Single most important part of growing Period. In fact that is exactly what is the problem with these plants along with a bit of over watering.

[The purpling of the stems is the sure sign roots are damaged from soggy roots that won’t absorb because they will not eat at the wrong PH.]

Pythium is a possibility in the root system and the end result is necrosis.

https://www.hunker.com/12003546/the-definition-of-necrosis-in-plants

Pay close attention to nutrition the part about PH.

Lets them dry out a bit and with the next feeding make sure your PH is at 6.5 and in 72 hours you’ll see improvement at the tops. This is only a slight speed bump if you want these plants to survive.

5 Likes

I would say even if the food is 100% organic, the first two tools you pull out of your diagnostics tool shed should be pH and PPM. Seeing a spotty leaf and being too quick to pull out a deficiency chart and start trying to figure out what’s going on can lead you down a rabbit hole of misdiagnosis that will leave you scratching your head in confusion.

3 Likes

Purple stems and under leaves is a classic sign of phosphorus my tomatos I plant every year seem to get a tad bit during the seedling stage mix in some meat/bonemeal or bonemeal easier found and see what happens

2 Likes

Even if its 100% organic, you need a lot of soil for the rhizosphere to influence the pH.

5 Likes

Thanks for being the one to look over my shoulder. :hugging:

I should know this by now. Budget/life/etc. led me to compromise on growing media as the year progressed, particularly for these seed-making/pollen-chucking plants.

I gave up on pH soil probes after trying a few because they just don’t seem to reflect anything meaningful unless the soil pH is very acid/neutral.

Related to that… I am curious if anyone has emulated Orchid growing for Cannabis or if that was a 1970s practice. It appear that the high bark content, acidic medium could REALLY help with this kind of problem. My undestanding is that orchid growing is oftent done with very strong synthetic/soluble fertilizers. :thinking: :alembic: :seedling:

:beers: 420 cheers for @LED_Seedz for nailing my SGS! :blush:

**edit:**weird to see that link from what (i guessed correctly) is a design journal wtf? :thinking: :straight_ruler: :books: :triangular_ruler:

“over-watering” is kinda vague/imprecise, imo…“because hydroponics.”

…is it more about saturation/oxygen, & ion exchange(pH, salts-to-water-ratio/ppm) than media-water-proportion or frequency of irrigation?

Thanks Pros. :slight_smile:

Looks like over watering to me when compared to the issues stated on this web page.

1 Like