Zephyr grows and creates

I hope that was the last 2021 power outage. This Alaskan tek for emergency heat may help you and the clones. Be careful because a candle is included; unplug fans before using live flame.

5 Likes

here are some photos of the maple leaf male and female taken 2 days ago after the power outage. The male got pale and stretched.
Since then they have recovered well, they are looking less pale, and the male has stopped stretching.

The two little plants at the front are guava F females which will be pollinated by the maple male. These didn’t suffer at all from the power outage, in fact, it just induced flowering more quickly than it would have under 12 12.

The female got a little pale, but it didn’t stretch at all. This female is really great, classic afghani candelabra structure. I really like these growth characteristics.

I have closeups of the male, but overgrow spat them out. have upload limits gotten even smaller?

9 Likes

Maple leaf notes-

I grew the first two seeds from this pack of maple leaf a few years ago on my first indoor grow cycle. I got a male and a female. The stem rub smell was exactly the same as the current male and female- cool sour watermelon rind.

That female had the same small leaves and woody stem as this one, but it was just a totem pole so I prefer this new female.

The male had the same distinct pattern of green and purple striping on its stems as the current male. Its pollen pods also had purple coloring like this one. That male was also much taller than its female sibling.

the male and female both went into edibles, I was very sick at the time so I can’t give any description other than that it helped medicinally.

Here are the closeups of the male, cropped down to upload size-

As you can see this male is a narrowleaf afghani pheno. It definitely does not have the small maple-ish leaves of the female, but I think it is pure afghani because in all other respects, it resembles the other maple leaf male I have grown exactly.

13 Likes

Very nice Zep.
Stash me some of these also, these will be nice to run with Sensi mli and the mli cross I got.
Gonna be a real exciting season next fall.

Nice looking maroonish male flowers also.

4 Likes

Veg tent update-

Just one guava f2 B - I hope this is a female

Two Guava f2 F sharing a pot
I started 4 at the same time and the other 2 were female, so hopefully this isn’t 2 males.

lebanese purple (origin point) x 2017 lebanese
There may be some hints of purple showing on the leaves, or could just be very dark green.

And here are the lebanese guava, starting to reveg.

I wish I got a shot of these before they sprouted reveg leaves and flowers. If I had you could see how frosty the guard and fan leaves are, and you could the structure more clearly. One is a totem, the other has many stout branches. The reveg leaves still have frost, but not as much as it was putting out before.

Interesting, the reveging flower growth at the tops looks like pure lebanese, but all the flower that came in before reveg looked hybrid. If I can get it back into flower before it reveges completely this may actually increase my yields. The lowers are still putting out white pistils and haven’t died off or anything.

edit-
These lebanese guavas are also serving as a “coal mine canary” for pollen cross contamination from my other tent. Not a single burnt pistil or seed in sight. Looks like my filtration and prevention techniques are up to snuff.

In terms of air filtration, I could probably run 2 breeding projects side by side, but that would make the watering process extremely difficult.

16 Likes

Maple leaf breeding update-
Smooth sailing in the breeding tent.

The Maple Leaf stem rub smells are changing. The watermelon rind is still present, but now there are also notes of cranberry, celery, fennel, rose, and cucumber. These are smells that I associate with old middle eastern hash lines. This is almost like a variation of some of the smells found in the lebanese.

When the lights turn off at night, these plants reek with a sharp acrid vegetal plant odor.
kind of like raw cabbage, but much much stronger. Very pungent, very pervasive. Spreads through the whole house. Slight skunkyness as well, but mainly cabbage.

Maple male-

Maple female

Uploading: maple female 2.jpg…

Guava f2 F females seeded with maple leaf

these will be low yielding because they were pollinated in preflower

14 Likes

Is this a certified male, Zep?

2 Likes

Water, water, water, shower, clean clothes, water, water, water.

Kinda like going from a home grow, to a work grow, to a home grow. Fun, fun, fun.

I enjoy your projects, and learning from you.

4 Likes

it looks as male as it gets, if that’s what you mean. I’m not seeing anything intersex about it.

If you’re asking about the genetics, this is a sensi seeds maple leaf from this pack -

9 Likes

Save me some pollen please, will use it fall.
Hopefully I can keep it good :+1:

3 Likes

can do, no problem. I already harvested part of the top for pollen collection.

I’m really liking this male. its level of vigor (slow healthy uniform growth) shows that it has been bred for a pretty long time without outcrossing, and narrow leaf afghani phenos seem less common than broad leaf within this strain. I’m also liking its flowering characteristics. The male showed sex much later than the female, and it’s not dying off too quickly. It puts out a ton of pollen.

7 Likes

That’s different males almost always show first.
Appreciate it.

3 Likes

Quick text update-
I chopped the Maple Leaf male yesterday.
this plant has really nice male genetics. Something about the structure of the plant in veg told me that it was definitely male, but it showed sex very late after over 2 weeks of 12/12. It is an excellent pollen producer. It had just started to put out a third set of flowers. The clusters actually became quite dense as it filled in.

Sorry I don’t have more photos of this one, I meant to get some before I chopped it. Sometimes when I’m not feeling great I have to choose between work and documentation.

The female is frosting up. even though its growth is stunted by extremely heavy pollination, the flowers are still growing, and it has a lot of bud sites. This will produce a lot of seeds for its size.

The female clones very very easily.

The smell of the resin is like sweet ripe watermelon and freshly chopped jalapenos. Reminds me of the sandia salsa served in mexican family restaurants (extremely spicy chile peppers in ice cold watermelon salsa).

11 Likes

Wow, that sounds like some super nice smells from that one! Nice!

3 Likes

this had 6 conjoined seeds, 4 twins and 2 triplets.
9 total counting immatures.

too heavily seeded to smoke, but it sure is pretty.
this will go into a small batch of concentrate made of mixed guava phenos.

10 Likes

I’m baffled with conjoined beans, it’s like wtf?

2 Likes

Yeah it’s strange, right?

It comes from a chem bud structure trait. Sinsemilla buds of chems and pure og cuts make these funky calyx clusters. It looks like 3 to 5 calyxes wrapped up in one large extra frosty calyx, with a dense tuft of pistils coming out of the top. The upshot of this trait is denser buds with more interior surface area for trichome production.

The conjoined seeds must be the reproductive trait that is associated with this bud structure trait.

either that or cosmic particle strikes (just kidding).

They show up consistently in all of the guava f1’s and f2’s, but especially the F mother and its offspring. the trait is true breeding regardless.

I wonder what would happen if I grew out and bred only the conjoined seeds, and selected only conjoined seeds for several generations. If I selected for it, I wonder if it would increase the number of bundled calyxes in the buds. It would be cool if you could breed a variety with flowers that only produced large calyxes containing 3-5 smaller calyxes. Nugception.

it will be interesting to see whether I find these calyx clusters or conjoined seeds in the hybrids made with the guava. I doubt it will show up in the guava x lebanese because the lebanese genetics are extremely dominant. But I think we might see this in the guava x paonia purple paralyzer.

6 Likes

I have bubka beans like that, no Chem in those.

3 Likes

it’s not exclusive to chem and og, but shows up consistently in those lines as a structural trait.
what’s the bubba seed line like?

3 Likes

@zephyr, I’ve never heard of the conjoined seeds in cannabis before… That would be cool if you could get that trait to breed out…

I use full strength for about an hour, and I think I’ve read that it can’t hurt much from too much soaking.

I’ve been geting more into sanitizing my containers and pots for young seedlings and germing, and then sanitize/soak the seeds pre-germ.

5 Likes