Zephyr grows and creates

berry larry update-

The second round of berry larry seeds are germinating nicely.
2 more berry larry seedlings were planted yesterday, and 2 or 3 more will be ready to plant today.

[edit- 2 seedlings from the first round are up and healthy. Once still has its shell on, the other is perfect. the rest are still hanging out at the soil line. They were planted as soon as the shells started to pop, before they had a taproot. So it’s not surprising that they are moving a little slower than the two that had taps when they were planted. I can see at least one of them has a nice green stem coming out of it, so it will be ready to sprout soon.]

I lost one seed from the first round due to sloppy handling. It looks like a grow helper accidentally disturbed the topsoil on this one, which left the seed right at the surface at the edge of its solo cup.
The seed was open, but didn’t have a taproot. I was tired when I tried to replant it, and my muscular condition was impairing my coordination pretty badly. I accidentally crushed the seed. I try not to be too hard on myself when stuff like this happens, but of course it is disappointing. It’s all just a part of the medical cannabis process.

quite the sales pitch haha

The grandaddy purp website is down, and looks like ken hasn’t logged into any of his social media in years, and hasn’t been seen in public since before covid began. The price of his seed packs is increasing steadily. Hope he is ok, this is kind of concerning given his condition.

funny video of ken at one of the bay area cannabis cups-
(the audio quality is not good)

[2nd edit / update- I planted the remaining three seeds earlier, one had a nice tap, one had a small tap, and one was just starting to open up at the seam.]

10 Likes

Alright, just read the whole thread (hence the 1000 likes haha). I didn’t even realize you had a thread, I don’t think. Anyway, I’m watching it now. Lots of good info.

5 Likes

Thanks minitiger, it will be great to have you around. I’m always glad to hear it if people find the information in this thread useful.

8 Likes

4 berry larry are up with shells on, and one has fully sprouted and is developing nice true leaves.

7 Likes

Lebanese Guava-

I pruned the lebanese guava to get airflow and light to the buds. They looks and smell great. Now you can see their flower structure.

14 Likes

Maple Leaf harvest-

I harvested the maple leaf yesterday. the plant is very faded and ripe, and all the seeds that I can see popping through look ready. I pulled one seed out during trimming and it looks great.

Donnie has volunteered to reproduce these at some point to get enough seeds for the co-op.

16 Likes

3 mature clones of the maple leaf female were just transplanted into 5 gallon pots in the flower tent. It will be interesting to see what the structure and yields are actually like growing this sinsemilla.

After I harvest the remaining seeded plants, I will use one or two of the maple leaf cuts for a selective pollination with snowhigh vietnam da lat pollen from yobigdaddy.

The two guava F from the veg tent have also been moved to flowering. I’m hoping I get a female. These will also be selectively pollinated with the vietnamese pollen because the guava is so quick flowering, and an excellent medical line.

I am now somewhat familiar with the guava and its influence in hybrids, it will be very useful to cross the vietnamese with something relatively predictable.

11 Likes

berry larry update-
5 berry larry are up and looking great. A sixth is still at the soil line, but has a nice green stem growing out of it.

2 are lost, the one I accidentally crushed, and one that cracked but didn’t pop a tap root.

The slightly green seed hasn’t made any moves yet, I’m guessing it might not have been mature enough. I will be sure to let these get nice and faded when I open pollinate them.

the remaining unsprouted seed from round 2 isn’t where I planted it. Usually that means a grow helper bumped it and then smoothed the topsoil back out. it still might be able to sprout if it can make it up through the soil wherever it ended up.

8 Likes

I’m just wowed right now from those last couple posts. The knowkedge is just cool to see man, and it’s nice to know there are so many resources on this forum.

I’m glad to be following along.

4 Likes

Those are some really unique leaf shapes. Does that really long middle lobe come from the Lebanese side?

7 Likes

The long middle leaf and overlapping leaf blades are chem traits from the mother, but this is a more extreme expression of that structure. You can see leaves like this on the outdoor guava B mother plant, especially on the lower branches.

I’m really enjoying these unique leaves, they make the lebanese guava very ornamental.

11 Likes

berry larry germination results-

I have 5 very healthy berry larry seedlings.

berry larry casualty report-
Lost one due to sloppy handling
one immature, no germ
one cracked but didn’t put out a taproot

A sixth is still at the soil line, but has a nice green stem growing out of it.

this one was probably ready for its shell removal surgery yesterday. It appears to have damped off.

Its demise was hastened by a grow helper overwatering the solo cup. I had already given it all the water it needed, which was just a few squirts of mist from a handheld spray bottle. This overwatering was probably what did it in.

because of the damping off I will isolate it from the other seedlings. I have removed the shell, and I will give it one more day on the off chance that it might pull through. But I have never seen one recover.

So all in all, I am happy with 5. I might have been able to get 7 if I could have done all of the work myself, but I’m happy to have help with the grow so these blunders are a small price to pay.

Side note, once someone learns to grow with hydro, it’s really hard for them to understand natural plant growth and organic soil. My grow helper has a lot of trouble with watering organic soil correctly, so I often have stressed plants with brown patches on the leaves because the no-till soil hasn’t been kept moist and has developed dry spots.

All organic plants need to thrive is careful watering, but this is complicated by the fact that I often need help with physical tasks. I can’t always lift a water jug or bend over.

If I didn’t have help, I would be trying to replicate the unique organic methods used by @danzakuduro, who is like a 2 gallon pot superhero.

13 Likes

When you mentioned a “grow helper” bumping a seed and then smoothing out the soil yesterday, I thought you meant, like, some kind of life in the soil, like an earthworm, maybe. Or something. I didn’t realize you meant an actual human being haha!! I thought it was your cute little name for all the life in the soil. Tell that dude to get his shit together! A cup-and-a-half of water in a solo cup? Jesus…

Just kidding, I’m sure you appreciate the help.

Anyway, five seedlings isn’t a bad little start. What’s the Berry Larry again?

6 Likes

the Berry Larry is a hybrid from Ken Estes Grandaddy Purple collective.

It’s bodhi’s goji og x (larry og x grandaddy purple). Sounds like a fun bay area polyhybrid with some of the best medical lines that were available locally around 2012.

9 Likes

13 Likes

Something that I really appreciate about your grow log is that you share not only what you’re doing, but why you’re doing it and the results it has. Always love to learn a ton while looking at some cool bud shots :grin::seedling:

10 Likes

Looks like I have some volunteer cannabis plants popping up outside from dropped seeds last fall. Most of them are probably from the lebanese or lebanese sinatra because they drop their seeds when ripe.

Because it’s impossible to say for sure what they are, I won’t be keeping them. I will transplant them into solo cups. I always give away my surprise cannabis sprouts to local medical patients or gardeners who are interested in growing it for the first time.

13 Likes

Great idea

1 Like

Here is a quick photo of one of the dry and trimmed maple leaf flowers.
It will need to dry / cure / burp for a while before the seeds are stable for long term storage.

I still feel like I don’t know much about the high, and probably won’t be able to tell for real until I can smoke some sinsemilla or lightly seeded. This is fully seeded, it would be hard to find a calyx that doesn’t have a seed in it.

Smells nice like very sweet melon and lemon citrus with aromatic celery. hits very well in the volcano. would not hit well smoking because it is so heavily seeded.

So far the high is psychoactive while vaporizing, but then it quickly settles in to a more transparent and highly functional medicinal effect. This has been great for alleviating migraines, my head has felt a lot better since I started medicating with this. It definitely makes me take a nap right away if I need to rest, but it’s not what I would call couch lock. It’s not crazy strong but it is definitely good medicine.

It’s nice to find a definite indica that is medicinal, but also this functional. I’m not sure whether someone who uses cannabis recreationally would be as enthusiastic about it though.

Looking forward to figuring this one out as I continue to grow and smoke it.

16 Likes

guava hashplant x maple update-

These two guava F seeded with sensi maple leaf indica have gone about as far as they can go. It’s always tough to get seeds from this line because the flowers finish faster than the seeds ripen. Looks like these seeds from the maple male pollen are ripening even slower than the pure guava or lebanese hybrids I have made with this line. These little colas can’t get any riper, so I will need to harvest.

These have just been sprayed down with lactobacillus serum to clean them off before harvest.

I will harvest at these tomorrow morning. I will start with the colas and leave the lower buds if they have a chance of producing more mature seeds.

If not I will harvest the whole plants and just compromise on seed ripeness. I’ll make a rough guess that I’ll get at least 50% mature seeds.

11 Likes