Zephyr presents Big Trouble in Little China

It’s an antiseptic, so it kills any bacteria on the exterior of the seed shell. It is also an oxidizer, you can see it is causing bubbles to form at the surface. Some traditional gardening books say that this improves water and oxygen uptake on seeds with tough shells.

13 Likes

I also like to use it, because it causes germinated seeds to float as well. So it decreases the risk of drowning.

11 Likes

Sterilizers the casing of the seed, HP is H2O2 which is if I understand correctly water with an extra oxygen molecule attached :v:t4:

4 Likes

Heck yeah I need to start using hydrogen peroxide. Seems like some good stuff

4 Likes

This is my pack of the canghsan

I just started soaking my remaining canghsan seeds tonight.

These are set up the same as the other batch from plant shepherd, room temperature water with 2 drops of hydrogen peroxide.

The cangshan came together with vintage acapulco gold, which will be an interesting project for another time.

23 Likes

Here is everything I could dig up from bodhi’s china collection expedition and the cangshan sativa.

Im stuck at disneyland china (lijiang) on my way to tiger leaping gorge, cool thing is i have some wifi to come and hang out with you guys for a bit. This will probably be my last posts before i get home, unless i can get a good connection in laos or xishaungbana. Have a great feb everybody.

here is bodhi’s breeders description of the cangshan seed packs-

China Yunnan Cangshan mountain sativa collection #6…A resinous long flowering sativa from the cangshan mountains near the lake. side village of dali in yunnan china. open pollination of 12 females and 8 males. the plants are very resinous, but larfy with a strange motor oil smell with mellon undertones. no jet fuel, just pure motor oil. the effect is unique in that it has both the euphoria of a himalayan and the push of a SE asian in a nice balanced harmony. outdoor line for collectors. not a production plant

Here is a picture that bodhi labeled “chinese guys”
but I can’t tell if this is from his china cangshan grow-

This is the only picture of the chinese I could find on breedbay, but I know I have seen photos of his full cangshan grow outdoor in northen california. The pictures might have been in the greatlakesgenetics sales listing, but they do not keep any information or photos there. No luck finding them in the internet archive either.

I know I have read more than this in the past, they did contain some security sensitive topics, so they could have been deleted as a security precaution. Apparently the china collection trip was more difficult than traveling in india and nepal on his previous treks. He encountered some setbacks while he was there, and when he got back, the cangshan collection number 6 was the only one that was viable.

I remember reading a post from mr b saying that he was disappointed because none of the seeds he collected on his china expedition were viable, except for the cangshan. He really liked the cangshan though, and talked about its smell, and how it performed in santa cruz.

edit- some of these topics are covered in bodhi’s interview on the potcast radio show.

17 Likes

I got my popcorn ready for this one and following along, cheers!

1 Like

I prefer LAB’s for PM but diluted hydrogen peroxide works too :call_me_hand:t4:

2 Likes

My method is to start with a soak in diluted hydrogen peroxide solution to sterilize the exterior of the seed shell, and then switch to soaking in diluted lactobacillus serum as a probiotic. Some lactobacillus bacterial cultures have even been found to consume pathogens.

10 Likes

Sounds like a win win formula to me :v:t4:

3 Likes

After lots of love and fresh lactobacillus soaks, I am starting to see some tiny little taproots on a few of the cangshan seeds from plant shepherd. They will be planted in solo cups this morning.

Hopefully I will start seeing some sprouts from my pack soon. fingers crossed

10 Likes

these changshan seeds are very odd. The three that sprouted look perfect, they had nice small tap roots, and the shell was open so wide the seedlings were about to swim out. The three that sprouted look identical. The seeds come from 12 different females, so I hope this does not mean that only a subset of those females produced viable seeds. At the moment, that seems like a possibility.

The other three however were not looking good to me. I went ahead and planted all of them in soil.

One is pale, one has no weight to it, and the other is large and pale and has developed some kind of bloom at one end. I’m not sure if this is bacterial or fungal, but it formed in spite of my hydrogen peroxide and probiotic lactobacillus soaks. This method seems to prevent damping off, but it doesn’t prevent this mysterious bloom.

I started seeing this a few years ago, I have seen it rear its ugly head in a few grow journals here, even with very different germination methods. It also seems to afflict seeds started in paper towels, and seeds in rockwool. OleReynard has coined this “the deadly ring of saturn.”

So far I have never seen one develop this bloom and live. I have never seen it effect the surrounding healthy looking seeds from the same seed soak or paper towel, so I am not concerned about the ones that germinated already. I will continue to monitor and care for these carefully now that they have been planted.

Because I have never seen a seed with the “ring of saturn” live, I tried a few experiments on this large seed to hopefully give it a shot at sprouting before the bloom kills it. first, I soaked and agitated it in undiluted 3% h2o2 solution. Then I used a small serrated knife to lightly score the edges of the seed to make it easier for it to split the shell and form a taproot. Then I used the knife to scour the end of the seed that had the “ring of saturn” bloom, hoping to remove unhealthy material and protect the rest of the seed.

The seeds from my pack are looking ok, but they haven’t made any moves yet. Still waiting. I may go ahead and plant them all tomorrow. It is worth noting that none of the seeds in my pack looked like the 3 identical viable seeds from plant shepherd’s pack.

*edited

13 Likes

Wow, you sure have patience, especially for a low yielder. That’s the markings of a true grower, just for the love of growing the plant.

Good on ya man, and the best of luck to this grow!!

Pulling up a chair as I’m pretty intrigued to see final outcome.

:v::v::v:

5 Likes

Good luck, I sincerely hope you can get these germinated. Gonna be some crackin genetics if they’re willing to come out and play.

2 Likes

Thanks @hardroc and @khaoohs, I hope your good vibes will help encourage these seeds to pop.

I planted the 7 cangshan seeds from my pack on wednesday. None had popped tap roots, but one had just started to split. I planted these a day earlier than the ones from @PlantShepherd so hopefully they will be popping in the soil soon. I tried scarification on 3 seeds, and planted the other 4 natural.

We are just starting to get hot spring weather here, so 2 of the solo cups dried out unexpectedly by thursday morning. Hopefully that will not harm those 2 seeds.

fingers crossed!

7 Likes

@PlantShepherd all 3 from your pack that popped tap roots are up and healthy!

They still have their shells on, but they are doing great.

Hopefully my 7 are not too far behind.

After I find out what my final germination results are from this round, I will start the remaining 6 from plant shepherd with a different method. I will be trying scarification and direct sow in a mix of soil and worm castings.

7 Likes

I am still hoping my 7 cangshan seeds are just incredibly slow.

I still have 6 seeds in @PlantShepherd’s pack. I will germinate these direct sow into potting soil with added worm castings. I will also plant with the moon in about a week, to give these all the help they can get.

I might try some very light scarification around the edges of the seeds with fine grit sandpaper. These have very thick shells.

I will post a photo of the healthy seedlings later.

7 Likes

3 very healthy china cangshan sprouts.
(and a little lebanese on the left)

16 Likes

Here is a photo of the cangshan early last week. They are quite vigorous, and developing a distinct vigorous narrowleaf personality. The leaf serrations have a very unique shape, they almost look like barbs.

They are much bigger now.

14 Likes

This afternoon I planted the remaining 6 cangshan seeds from @PlantShepherd 's pack. These are a nice diverse group of seeds. These cangshan seeds are quite unique, they are very sharply pointed, they are shallow with a very pronounced ridge along the line of bilateral symmetry, and their seed shell is remarkably shiny and water repellent.

They were planted directly in moist potting soil with a sprinkling of worm castings at the surface.

9 Likes