Zimbogro's RDWC

Hello OG Gang !

New grower. I chose to dive into deep end with full blown RDWC. I have been germinating different seeds for the last month and I must admit, my success rate borders on “Dismal” ! So far I have a Sour Diesel Auto that is the only survivor of 4 Auto strains. I have killed 1 Blue Dream, 1 Diesel tonic, 1 Candida and 1 Holy Grail Kush. I have successfully germinated a Blue Dream and a Candida they are 3 days old, healthy looking and roots are FAST growing. Still waiting on Dieseltonic, Tutenkhamon and Holy Grail Kush to germinate (fingers crossed). Though I have studied growing for over a year, PRACTICE is a whole other set of knowledge, I am humbled by this experience so far.

EQUIPMENT: Though I have bought a huge load of gear, I will list what I am using so far.

1. Spectrum King 4x4x7 tent
  2. Spectrum King Led CC140W light
  3. Turbo Kloner
    4)Current Culture 13Gal DWC bucket (not in use yet)
  4. 2 tiny fans
  5. Current Culture UC Nutes whole line up.
  6. Clonex Nutes
15 Likes

Another pro has arrived.

Welcome aboard @zimbogro

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. Challenge accepted, lol.

Hello fellow DWC’er.

How is your water temperature ? Plans on water temp control ? The system fits well on this tent ?

1 Like

Hi sk1,

For now, I have tried to keep water temps as close to 70 but its a battle as its Summer here where I am. I was using freez blocks, but I saw that the Auto didnt like the temp variation. Dropping from 79 down to 69, I suspect, was pissing off the plant so I decided to leave the temps be and I use UC roots solution every 3 days.
For now I am only using the Turbo Kloner with the Auto and the seedlings but soon, the Auto will have to move. I have CCh2O 13Gal buckets and Solo 35Gals. The thought of it has had my mind working on a solution for the bigger buckets, but I love problem solving and trying to figure shit out. Earlier on, I even had the whole Turbo Kloner sitting on ice blocks in a cooler box, but the cold would only last 2 or 3 hours, too much labour for little return.

This is all farting around and practicing until I finish the grow room preparations (paint & electrics) & feel confident to assemble 2 x 8 (13Gals) RDWC with 1/2 Hp chillers. Im contemplating getting a 1/10hp chiller for the little guys.

2 Likes

I’ll be interested to follow your progress :slight_smile:

So I moved the Auto Sour Diesel into the bigger 13Gal bucket. I am expecting explosive root growth in the next week.

1 Like

Ok so last night I had a freak out ! I check on the Auto in the 13Gal and the babies (blue dream, Candida & holy grail Kush) and they seemed fine. I went an hour later and the Auto had a few yellow spots on some of the leaves, and the Blue Dream looked super pissed off.

Temp went to 85F, RH 45 and water temp was 82F !

After check with Growweedeasy, I cut off the 3 affected leaves as it was the start of a fungus brought about from exess heat and (I was also lightly spraying the plants wit RO water to bring up Humidity). Then I rushed and chucked in Freez Blocks to bring the water temps down.

This morning, I swapped the freez blocks checked everything and they seem to be recovering.
Here is my dilema, do I close the 4x4 tent to keep insects out and deal with heat? Or do I leave the tent open and my temps are in the low 70s?
I cant get my chillers, humidifiers and dehumidifiers, soon enough.
What a BITCH! lol

do you have an extraction fan to exhaust hot air out of the room ? my temps were high 80s with my LEDs running in my tent because i was exhausting in to the 6x10 room the 4x4 tent was in. as soon as i started exhausting in to my ducting i had to add a heater lol

yeah i’d leave the tent open for now, i don’t think pests should be an issue long as the room is fairly clean the tent is in

I havent unboxed the exhaust fan yet as im in the temporary room until the proper room is set up. But yeah I think Ill have to.

Another thing is since the elder plant is an Auto, lights were on 24hrs, so im going to switch lights off at 3pm for 6 hours which is when the enviromental heat build up is highest.

2 Likes

Yesterday, I had no idea why this Auto looked like it was dying, all leaves were pointing straight down. I emptied the bucket, filled with zero ppm water, ph d and added UC Nutes just before lights off. Waiting the six hours to lights on was a shit wait but thank god, all leaves were reaching for the sky when lights came on again. I also changed the direction of the fans, so I dont know what fixed it.

4 Likes

Are you Ph’ing the water before adding nutes?

Order is -> Nutes to desired strength -> then PH final solution.

UC Nutes is the Current Culture equivalent of Hydroguard.

Sorry I actually meant UC Roots. lol

When I was running DWC I used to have res temp issues a lot, to the point I was using construction insulation to wrap the buckets. One of the best ways I found to keep the temps down was to move the pump out of the tent or a much cooler area. If it’s sucking in air at85° it’s pushing the same temp air into the res

1 Like

you could bounce your fan off a wall at them so it’s just a light indirect breeze

The importance of ventilation indoors can not be overstated

1 Like

i can’t read that but i don’t recall saying it wasn’t important

1 Like

Just emphasizing your point.

Have you tried looking at the pics up close? Click on pic once. then click on it again for super mag.

oh man thats awesome no i never tried clicking it before because the magnifying glass never appears!! sometimes i open image in new tab then ctrl+scroll to zoom in LOL but this is way easier! thanks!

1 Like