14:29 of daylight and this?

That much daylight and this (getting longer) ? Having just grown from seed before, I thought this would be a great learning topic for me as well as others. My Sunday Supreme and Durban kush both did this.

I purchased ones and, transplanted them, and put them outside. They have bother been outside for a couple weeks, and I see signs of flowering.

I pinched the top buds off, and am giving them a couple extra hours of cf light to try to re-veg.

The question is, should I have waited longer to prevent this? I thought I was behind at this point. Surely some of this is strain specific, as I have 2 other clones of a different variety and, they are not doing this. Any other thoughts or insight?

13 Likes

If you have any hills and trees around there might be some hours in the morning and late afternoon getting cut off.

That’s exactly the problem out here.

6 Likes

Flat, neighborhood area. It misses out some morning sun from a privacy fence, but not much. I have a feeling that they had it under some 18/6 or better schedule. I have put a call and email in, hopefully I get some word from them tomorrow. I belive someone should be able to clear up any questions on that side. The manager was very nice, but not super knowledgeable. We will see.

4 Likes

I do too. :nerd_face:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Ya some strains/plants are just more sensitive to the light hrs change.

Do you veg indoors on 24hr lighting??

If you veg in say 18/6, its a lot closer to 14:30 and may save the plants from going to flower.

5 Likes

I actually went and bought these clones. They are supposed to be vegging outdoors right now. I am trying to get some more info on exactly what they did with them. I will call in a bit. I was just hoping someone could provide some ideas on how to avoid this happening in the future. It may help more when I get some info back from the dispensary also I suppose.

3 Likes

Daylight hours will increase through summer before halting around the last week of August and then winds down the hours til just before spring…

I’d say the light outside is what it is… At least you know they’re ladies and they will go right back to veg in a week or so and become giants by harvest time this fall… not optimal no, but don’t fret, all good…

Edit: clones are ready to go the second the light is right as they are already at maturity… next year try starting some inside and take them out when the have a few nodes and are still vegging and that 14.5 hours will probably mean a lot less to them

6 Likes

Yeah, I knew we has some time to go before summer solstice. I have only grown from seed before, so I really didn’t think about it to be honest.

I am bringing them in at night and putting them under my shop light. I’m gonna try one more time, and see if they will veg some more.

I thought about just leaving them alone and seeing if they went back into veg, but had a couple advise to get them under light at night. I could be back where I started then also I suppose. We will see.

Edit: I just talked to an employee and he told me that they keep them under an led on 12/12. He also said that when someone puts them straight outside, that is what will make them flower. He also said they need to stay inside to become acclimated. Besides not knowing what he is talking about and blaming the customer, this place has really nice clones for about half the price of anywhere else.

5 Likes

12/12 is a flower cycle, they may be acclimated to indoors but can easily be put outside… Might be sad for a few days but will come around.

If you want them outside, put them outside, reveg isn’t gonna kill them but that’s just my .02

Also, they are already showing you preflowers … they’ll still take a week or better while being inside to revert back but it’s your choice either way really

5 Likes

Wait, isn’t June 21 (summer solstice) the longest day of the year? At least in the northern hemisphere?

6 Likes

That’s was the thing. I put them straight outside, and they did great even after a transplant. I don’t get how they weren’t in flower when I got them. I was a bit nervous they were gonna go on and flower, that’s why I’m giving them light at night, plus to try and hurry the process. My mother has one of the Durban kush also. I may have her leave hers alone and see what happens.

1 Like

Yup, June 20th

1 Like

It is so scratch what I said up top…

So with that being said, plants are probably getting shaded sometime during the day… As 14hrs of daylight outside will start flower in plants… Also… For where I’m at right now I’m getting 16 hours of light from dawn to dusk so it may just be the spot they are in

3 Likes

If all they are getting is 14 hours of light they are gonna flower outside, you can flower inside on 14 hours as well

2 Likes

A few hours a night under the light for a few weeks is what I’d do. Once you see normal growth put em out and leave em hope they turn around for you :v:

4 Likes

Yes, if they’ve been out for a couple weeks and you’re only at 14.5, that’s getting pretty close to the critical day length for some strains - like you have noticed. Also, if you got clones that were in 18/6 and then put them outside, that kind of drastic change in photoperiod may also contribute to the early flowering. With seeds, they’re not sexually mature until way after this can happen.
This has happened to me in the past and there are two things I now do:

1. If I have clones that are going outside, I drop the light in my veg cab gradually over 10-14 days to match the natural length and then put them out. It’s not a bad idea to gradually expose them to more natural sunlight and some breeze to help harden them off as well.

2. You probably aren’t familiar with the critical photoperiod for these plants, but using a daylight calculator, ensure that you are planting late enough in your location to avoid flowering.
    https://arachnoid.com/lutusp/sunrise/

They will be delayed a bit, but will grow out of this. Supplementing the light like you are is a good idea. If you wanted to top your plant, you might as well do it now. That may encourage vegetative growth a little faster.

*The winter and summer solstice result in different daylight hours depending on latitude, but please remember that the equinoxes (spring/fall) are the same everywhere (more or less 12/12) and that is why it is called the equinox - equal night. The earth is sideways to the sun at these two times.
It drives my crazy when people say that 12/12 is such a date where they live… ;D

7 Likes

I will do that then. Give them a couple extra hours of light after sundown, and call it good until regular growth continues. I topped them first thing to get those silly buds off. I have been pinching regularly to get them bushy and keep them low anyhow.

When people say exspecially, it drives me nuts :joy:

Edit: thanks all for the insight, ideas, and advice. I am bound and determined to pull a harvest this year. I just had to go neem some plants for my sister in law. I’m digging getting back into this growing stuff!!

3 Likes

Try not to fret about flower/veg at this time. If you want to bring them indoors and put them under lights, this will not only assist in forcing the plants to cease flowering and revert to vegatative growth, it will help them get a little bigger as well. Although, even if you just left them outdoors your plants will be fine. As mentioned above, the longest day of the year is coming up in less than 3 weeks, and most cultivars will naturally begin flowering by mid to late August outdoors. Regardless of what you do, your plants will get plenty big between now and mid August. Simply make sure that outdoors they get as much direct sunlight as possible throughout the day.

Best of luck, and have fun.

6 Likes

I was also going to suggest taking an apical cut instead of just topping. Take three nodes, nip off the bud and Reveg that indoors for a bit.

2 Likes

The longest day of the year is still weeks away.
They’ll re-veg just fine. Don’t top or trim, this reduces leaf surface area and consequently, growth.

Most times clones l grow will bud almost enough for mini harvest if l plant early enough (like February or early March).
Then they always reveg as June approaches.
‘Don’t panic, it’s organic!’

3 Likes