1973 Durban sativa (poison) "The Green Pheno"- a collective history of a South African sativa

You’re off to a good start. Those seedlings look really good.
:guitar:

4 Likes

Saw this title and I just knew I had to be here. Can’t wait to see how this one develops.
I bestow the headiest of Heady Bear blessings upon your grow!

2 Likes

Good luck…

2 Likes

yes so far all growing very uniform, and all happy. im hoping to get a male on these at least one female cause this one need to be preserved, right now though i, just happy they are up and doing good. i will keep you informed on the progress and the goal

6 Likes

also following here.

I think @anon98152597 might have some information, he’s from the same region as these beans if I’m not mistaken.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year. :santa::tada:

:prayer_beads: :om:

6 Likes

thank you @Shanti-ri merry Christmas and a happy new year right back at you

3 Likes

Hey so Durban poison is the name given to pretty much any cannabis that was grown in the Kwazulu- Natal area as it would generally be shipped or moved from the city of Durban. It could be seen as a cross of the original rooibaard with strains from Swaziland as its pretty much next door to that area. Not saying its 100% rooibarrd x swazi cross but the area it was grown in saw a lot of traffic btw those areas. With Durban being a major seaport for many years its also had some input from various strains around the world with some thinking a fair amount of Indian strains may have made it into the local cultivars.
Compared to the local Transkei in my area it was a heavier hitter with way less of the paranoia / anxiety effects so we usually wanted it over the Kei buds. I fondly recall smoking some that had a almost pepper like taste to it and we all ended up calling it durban peppers. But would not be surprised if it had that taste due to being shipped with pepper. Compared to “modern” strains its pretty weak though and still can have the paranoia inducing effects.
The Durban Poison thats sold online these days is a strain that was worked in Holland. Not sure what it was paired with but it shortened the flowering time and made for more indica looking plants.
The plants over on the HCG instagram page do look like proper sativa plants…but kinda shitty looking ones to be honest. The males look not the greatest. Also the red pheno story always makes me wonder as I’ve never heard of or seen red phenos in any local sativa plants. Hell the 1st time I saw a picture of a not green weed plant I thought it was fake. But it could just be that it was in there genetically but never came out due to growing conditions.

With that said, as with all cannabis strains, its in the consumption and the person doing the consuming so holding thumbs its a killer smoke for you!

Forgot to add, keep an eye out for hermies. If its the real deal there should be a few of them.

11 Likes

yes everything from Durban was called poison, so its hard to say what land race these may be.
i ran a durban this last run that to me looked like it had skunk in it as the plant remand small and compact, really stinky though and smoke was ok but not the durban i wanted as the short flower time. these have a much longer time of 16 weeks. the label states pure sativa and it appears the way they look but time will tell. yes the red seems to be the one that is more commercial and is around in many banks as well as in crosses.
from what i understand is the swazi was labeled Durban poison at one time or another.
yes i will be looking for herms as i have heard the same, most pure sativa from the region is more prone to herm, i hope not but you know how nature will be
as far as “the Green Pheno” i have an idea on how it will look but we will see,
i could not find a ig with the hippie cannabis genetics anywhere, how didd you look for it, cause if they are still around i would love to ask them some questions on the green pheno
its hard to know the true story on the strain since durban is a port, and lots of strains pass through it.

8 Likes

Here’s the link: Hippie Cannabis Genetics (@hippie.cannabis.genetics) • Instagram photos and videos

3 Likes

A fair amount of cannabis was / is grown amongst the sugarcane in the surrounding areas and that’s where the “true” durban poison would be from. Not sure about this one but I assumed that the 1973 version would’ve been the one that was picked and taken to holland to be worked. That would make it the real deal if its from that original haul.

5 Likes

thank you very much @anon98152597

3 Likes

i see what you mean about the plants they have

2 Likes

I’m usually not one to talk badly of other peoples plants but if you’re selling seeds then its different imo. One of their posts makes it sound like they have only been growing for a few years. Hopefully you get lucky and they just have small plants because of their setup.

5 Likes

yeah i sent them questions asking about these, and most importantly where they got the seed from
so i will post any info i find out on the seed/strain.
i also seen that the lable they have for the durban is different than the one i have but i asked about the label as well. time will tell what they say, and the plants will tell us a lot later.
i think that the more info we have the better we will be prepared for what may come. again @anon98152597 i thank you for the tie in helping with this project.

5 Likes

Glad to be of some help. Wish there was a similar project or projects like the Iranizing group here in SA where people could buy seed from documented grows with well sourced origins.

5 Likes

@anon98152597 i agree, plants like these need to be documented as well as researched to make sure
i reached out to them on ig and let them know im trying to run these for seed. i seen they read the message so perhaps there will be some more info on the way. in any case fun times

5 Likes

Irrazin IG.

Sorry. I don’t know why I’m like this. Lmfao

@blendmedmedman I love the inherent uncertainty in your first post. It shows a lot of honesty, and integrity. Will be watching!

4 Likes

thanks @Worcestershire_Farms time will tell how these do. as im also hoping for more info on them from the breeder
i def. do not want to mislead people in thinking something that is not true, if im doing these for seed or trying to, i want to know everything i can on the strain. so i have started my quest at the hotel durban to see how it goes

5 Likes

label from breeders ig, so we can all see the flower time

15 Likes

Intres

Add images

intresting. Im not sure were these people get pre holland durban from. Im not sure there was anything referred to as durban till the guys in Holland were getting their south african through. Mel himself got his from Holland before talking it to the usa an then sending some back to sam in Holland.
4 Likes