1st ever outdoor in n. Alberta using Sebring auto fems!

I don’t take my dog for a walk George. He takes me for a drag. lol

:peace:

I know what you mean :sweat_smile:, I always use the same bigfoot boots the whole year :sweat:. BTW love your outdoor setting for that monster, hope all your efforts will be rewarded with a great harvest … beer3|nullxnull

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-20 at 00.38.34

4 Likes

Thanks George. Nice pup. Bet he runs like the wind.

Hoping I can limp that girl along for another 4 weeks. Very cloudy today and a light rain has started so I covered the top with plastic. No wind to speak of but put some folded chicken wire on top to make sure the plastic stays on.

The cutting I took off her early in flower still isn’t showing any new growth but has roots coming out of the drain holes and doesn’t need to be in the dome so hopefully will see some single-bladed leaves emerging soon. I can pick up the pot wet holding the stem so it’s well rooted for sure.

4 Likes

Yes I do George, she is very slow though now, although we have got her back to a fairly good state of mobility again it’s really like a long slow sniff, than a walk :roll_eyes:

We have a tropical storm coming Tuesday, it’s behaving like a hurricane that hit us some years back called Hurricane Juan, did a huge amount of damage. They think this Tropical storm is going to turn into a hurricane like Juan did.

Might fuck every outdoor grow in Nova Scotia :confused: Contemplating getting a generator, at least it’s not to cold atm so we don’t have to worry about freezing, we can barbque, use a camp stove and charge devices up in the car.

Starting to make me think about the house insurance, whether I am covered for a hurricane ripping off the roof, if I am, I hope I can get a claim, got some shingles looking a little bit worn around the edges that could do with replacing :wink: save me paying it out, get some value for the money I have been paying out in Insurance. The universe works in strange and wondrous ways​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

First the wuflu and then a hurricane :sweat:, def 2020 is not a good year for anyone. Hope it will weaken in tropical storm and won’t affect you …beer3|nullxnull

You should put your dog in that running machine … frech|nullxnull

1 Like

Finally decided to chop the Earth Lover girl that did autoflower and got pollinated with two different pollens. Could have maybe waited another week as some of the seeds looked a little pale yet but still plump and fully formed. Most seeds are still on the buds as I just got 3 paper lunch bags and put each seeded, trimmed branch into one each and the main cola that wasn’t seeded into the 3rd one. They can sit in the hall closet for a week until dry then I’ll get my seeds and see how much pot is left for testing for CBD and making medicine with. If I get 1/4oz dry I’ll be surprised. lol

I knew there was a few thrips on her but once I started trimming her up I must of killed 50 of them running around on the parchment paper. The little f’ers jump off like rats leaving a sinking ship and are easy to spot on the paper. Was a joy mashing them down! :smiley:

Checking out my two Kush girls and found a couple thrips down low in the little stuff on the AN fed one. I’ve always been bad about leaving all that tiny crap down there then having to deal with all the popcorn come harvest time but not this time! I removed quite a few long lower branches then all the little shit along the remaining branches. Then I sprayed all the bare stems to kill anything that might be crawling up higher. Another hour of going thru both plants with my big magnifying glass and didn’t find a single bug. Day 3 of 12/12 so don’t want those f’ers coming back to haunt me later but I bet I haven’t seen the last of them dammit!

80F outside with lots of sun today to grow that girl out there but not for long. :frowning:

10 Likes

my sativas are still going in my portable greenhouse. they have survived -24f 4 times now with only a little burn on the tips of the fan leaves. girl next door has hers in the garden behind the house . was freaking out a few weeks ago, trying to cover them with plastic. i told her to let them do their thing and they will be fine . temps going back up to low 70’s and upper 40’s for all next week. shit should be done by then.

5 Likes

-24F? I assume you mean 24F as 32F is the same as 0C which is the freezing point of water.

-40F and -40C are one and the same. It’s the only place on both scales where they are equal and so f’n cold that touching a hard metal object will burn your hand like fire. I’ve worked at -51C and it’s no picnic but still managed to load my water truck out of a creek after chopping thru 3ft of ice to service drilling rigs.

24F is still colder than we’ve had yet but there aren’t any plants that will be viable at that temp so maybe your thermometer is way off.

3 Likes

sorry a little toasted when i wrote that. :wink:

2 Likes

i don’t think so. i have a digital weather station out there that reads in the house and it usually is pretty close to what the NWS station reads at our airport. . my buddy has his outside with no protection and other than a few fried fan leaves they are all still solid. he’s a week out from harvest . some plants at 10ft. they are 90% sativa ( malawi gold x strawberry sour diesel) started indoors in april. now in 30 gal. fab. pots. he saw 25f but he’s surrounded by a large conifer forest so i think it gives some protection. was 28f fri. at 5am. was so white out there it looked like snow. we’ve had 2 frosts so far that got to around 25f . 3 others around 29f to 30f. i think the gradual heating and cooling of uncovered plants lets them climatize better than in a closed greenhouse. this year i left both ends of my greenhouse open for the 1st time and they fared better than other years when i closed them and put some heat in there. an ol’ timer thats in his early 60’s told me and my buddy last week he had gurellia grows around here he’s left out until the 1st week in nov with no protection! didn’t say what strain but damn it can get way colder than 20f by then ! its going to be in mid 70’s and low of upper 40’s the weekend and rest of the week so he should be chopping by mid week.

2 Likes

Then you got tougher plants than me.

It’s been over 10 years since I bothered trying to grow any outside. I tried two years in a row and both times the cold killed them off before mid Sept.

I have a remote weather station sensor hanging in the middle of the plant so I can see what the temp and humidity is sitting her. 43F and 71%rh right now at 1:30am. She’s wide open with no heat applied.

Starting to think I’m gonna get her to the finish line. Really hope so as she tests high positive for CBD and should produce lots. Would be enough for myself for a year but I’ll be giving a lot of it away in the form of cocobudder.

The wife is willing to give up her flower garden space at the end of the trailer facing south so I can put up a greenhouse next year if I want. 16ft wide and about 12ft now but can go as far south as need be. She wants a bigger greenhouse so she can get her tomatoes and peppers outside earlier next year. I’d like to build something so I can black it out and grow photos outside. We got 4 cubic meters of compost and two pickup loads of peatmoss/gravel added to the garden this fall. She’s planting over 2000 garlic now for next year and half done. They’re already sold at $3.50+ each and I wish she’d come up with that idea years ago when we were so broke. Still broke but not as broke since I got my old age pension almost a year ago.

I really should apply to grow legally and think I’ll go for it this year after 6 years of having my medical. We could be legal for 92 plants.

4 Likes

Quick update.

Did the Beam’s Test for CBD on that girl outside and the small auto fem I grew indoors and positive for both but really strong positive for the outside girl! I think my 5% KOH/ethanol sol’n may have gone bad as its yellowish now with sediment but still seems to work. Makes this inky red goo now that didn’t happen a couple years back when I first did it.

Indoor girl is #1.

This is the first 5 strain test I did almost two years ago. notice the separation at the top. This hasn’t happened with the new ones even after a few days. 0.2g of decarbed bud, 8ml of distilled naphtha made from Coleman’s camp stove fuel. 10 min or so of stirring and mashing the bud in shot glasses then sucking out 6mls to put in the vials and added 6 drops of the KOH sol’n.

This first test I used Ronsonal lighter fluid, (still naphtha but not distilled), and more of the KOH so that layer on top may be from the excess KOH sol’n. I’ll have to repeat that with the new pot and see what happens. Bought a new bottle of Everclear to make some fresh reagent sol’n but can make like 10mls at a time instead of 500. 5gm KOH to 100ml so just 0.5g for 10.

Also cropped the Earth Lover indoor girl and collected my seeds. The branch I did with the pollen from the two Earth Lover males that autoflowered gave me 110 nice ripe seeds and 80 fully formed but not as brown/mottled ones. These should be auto reg seeds.

The branch I did with with pollen from the one Loco-Mota male that autoflowered coughed up 52 nice ripe ones and 11 good but not so ripe. Also auto reg.

If anyone is interested in some of those seeds or pollen drop me a PM. You don’t need a trade, just a need, but if someone has a true Mazar to swap I’ll love ya forever! lol

The kush girls are starting to flower up. Still finding a thrip here and there but not gonna spray. I check them good 3 or 4 times a day and maybe find and kill 2 or 3. I’ll put up a pic of them in a few days to show the forming buds.

I’m going to mix up a litre of STS and start spraying a branch on one of them to see about getting some fem pollen happening. Monkey Banana Kush and I have another one upstairs vegging to make IBL? seeds with later.

All for now folks.

6 Likes

Keeping busy Lab, glad the outside plant is still hanging in there for you.

My GDP with the STS branch has nice bunches of male flowers but they seem to be taking their time pumping up to drop pollen, hoping soon, not sure whether to bag the branch and leave it on the plant to collect the pollen or cut it off put it in a jar and collect it that way.

My breeding cab is nearly ready apart from heat and humidity controllers, but they will only be in it 3-4 weeks, once they finish the pollenation they can go back in the flower room. I have a digital timer I will set to run for 5 minutes every hour to exchange the air for now.

3 Likes

First year trying outdoor in Alberta myself.

I wasn’t having much faith since they didn’t start flowering until late August. Still alive, even after a few frosty nights.

Had my first intruder, camera caught a black bear having a snack yesterday. :rofl: Must not have been palatable. I guess cougar pee isn’t much of a deterrent to them.

5 Likes

Nice sunny day today so she’s sucking up the rays. I was checking out the trichs and they are all milky white but the hairs are all still standing up and barely any have started to shrivel up. The buds still stacking so I’m not chopping her for a while.

I was figuring to hack her down if we got something like week long stretch of sub-zero weather in the forecast but dammit I’m in it to win it so will use whatever means at my disposal to get her to the finish line properly. The forecast is looking pretty good for the next while so fingers crossed.

My latest bit of grief is the connection between the line coming in from the dugout to the jet pump. Started leaking at one of the joints and rapidly got worse so had to go buy new parts and make a new one. Then like a dummy got 1 1/2" stuff when it needed 1 1/4" but didn’t notice that until I’d siliconed everything and cranked it all down with the big pipe wrench. Then had to take it all apart and clean everything up so I could take it back to the store and get the right stuff. The most expensive part is the brass back-flow valve for $35 so $60 covers it all. How much for a plumber to do this for me eh. It’s handy being a handy man! lol

The wife’s garlic beds she’s in the middle of planting 1654 of them with half of that already sold for next year at $3.50+ each. 12 different strains. She really knows what she’s doing with this stuff but still has nothing to do with the pot plants. lol

Speaking of pot here’s today’s pics of that girl.

15 Likes

Good to hear from ya!

Where are you at? Generally compared to a major city or something.

We get a bear wandering around once in a while but mostly deer or moose and not a lot of them either. If this Covid thing shuts down the supermarkets I’ll be dragging the old .303 out and bagging me one of those critters for sure! Lot of coyotes so we make sure to get the cats in before dark. Timber, our almost 2yo watch dog, is out all night to raise the alarm when needed. Even at -30 he doesn’t want to be in the house.

How do you milk cougars to get their pee. I’ve had a couple spray when they cum but never caught any of it. :wink:

2 Likes

Greater calgary area.

Cougar piss was at the garden store to keep deer away. Works pretty good on them.

I’m still a bit pissed I didn’t get deer tags this year… I was hoping for at least one.

2 Likes

My first move to Alberta was to Calgary back in '76. Drove cab for a lot of it but worked construction in town and in Banff early on. Got so much pussy in Banff but I was like 23 then and had to chase women off. Something about long red hair makes them crazy hot. :smiley:

Got long red hair still at 65 but not getting much pussy. :frowning: 66 next month.

Have you got your permits for guns? I haven’t had that stuff since my old FAC expired like 20 years ago and all I need is some fresh ammo for the .22/16 gauge/and maybe the .303 tho the 40 year old stuff still seems to fire OK. My 1942 Lee Enfield USAF .303 needs soft point 180 grain ammo to chamber properly. The fine point ammo snags on the barrel entry.

Are deer tags on the lottery system? I thought those were plentiful and you just had to cough up a few bucks to get a tag. I’ve never got legal for hunting so don’t know shit about it. My neighbours don’t complain if I go out shooting magpies etc with my 10-22 or even blasting away with the 16 gauge to make holes in a new burning barrel.

Somebody mentioned recently that due to Covid you could take the gun course online so I’ll look into that. I have the book and have had extensive training in gun handling from my dad, Chief gunnery officer on destroyers in WWII, Boy Scouts, Sea Cadets and the old Richmond Rod and Gun Club as a young teen.

I’m really hot for those 50 cal air rifles. Need a scuba tank to fill them up at 3000psi but throw a half inch 2oz slug a mile down the line really accurately. That’s my kind of gun fun.

2 Likes

No, I was going to my roots and going with a compound bow. With a super high conflict ex, it’s just not worth it if she goes psycho again. RCMP need no extra reasons to break down my door.

It’s lottery yes should be plentiful and easily obtained, but I’m guessing a lot of Calgary folk come out this way and try for what is my local zone. And I stupidly only applied for this area. God knows we call them prairie rats for a reason, I just want some tenderloin, some jerky and sausages :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh man, back in the day before I married my Indian Princess I found a great field to hunt gophers at. Ignorantly I just drove the old '78 Dodge Cornet 440 into the top of the field and blasted away at the gophers. Then the magpies showed up to feast on them and became target practise too.

One time with my future wife and another couple we went out there one Sunday afternoon. Duce, the dude in the other couple was totally opposed to killing little animals but his first shot nailed two at once while they were mating and he turned all kill them all on us. lol

Then a pickup drove into the field way down below us and drove up to where we were. Turned out to be the owner and after mentioning that we should get permission to do what we were doing proceeded to pull out his .22, take a beer and a toke then join us shooting those little bastards.

He gave directions to his house and asked that we went there first so they knew I was there as neighbours driving by would call him about intruders.

A couple weeks later I went out on my own and this gorgeous 18 yo old farm girl answered the door. I was going out every week after that and not shooting a lot of gophers. :wink:

4 Likes