Northern Lights Auto "Stay at Home" Grow

My state officially imposed a stay at home order effective until April 10. I already have buddies asking if I have smoke, so I decided to setup a small grow.

Next is the hardest part, deciding what to grow. I knew I wanted it to be an auto for a quick harvest. So I got out my seed stash and sorted them into seven groups based on breeders, etc. Then I grabbed my D20 and gave it a roll. I rolled a 16, which was the pile with Norther Lights.

Female Seeds was kind enough to gift me some Northern Lights Auto seeds along with some other autos I tested for them. Not long ago, I won some Royal Queen Seeds Northern Lights Autos. Two of each hit the water last night.

I went outside into my shed and found four five-gallon fabric pots filled with a living organic soil (Coots mix). These were going to be used for an outdoor vegetable garden. I killed a couple of black widows grabbing the pots, good thing they move slow when it is cold.

These were super dry, so I mixed up a couple gallons of water with some lavender Dr. Bronner’s soap as a wetting agent. I threw in some tweetmint enzymes as well to get the biology going.

I had everything I needed for a small 2x4 grow except for a tent, so I ordered a cheap one for the time being. When it gets here, I will be setting it up with my 250-watt Cree CXB3590 light a d a 4" fan with filter. More on that later.

34 Likes

If the 20 sided die says it happens then it happens

7 Likes

Today I mixed top dressed the pots with some EWC and sowed a clover cover crop. Finally I mulched the top with rice hulls and watered them I with some EM1. Between that and the EWC, the microbiology should start kicking into high gear.

Trying a new idea with the autos. I’ve had good luck with gently transplanting autos in the past, and difficulty watering small plants in large pots. So here I have cut the bottom out of the blue cups and put them in the red cups with drain holes. When it comes time to transplant into the 5-gallon pots I will simply remove the red cup and transplant while still in the blue cup. This will also help prevent the cover crop from choking out the plants when they are young. I mixed up a seedling mix of 50% fresh worm castings and 50% rice hulls and filled the cups in preparation for the seeds.

34 Likes

Oh, nice. This will be fun to watch :smile:

6 Likes

Nice! I will definitely be following along.

4 Likes

Will be popping in regularly to check out the progression of things :grin::+1::seedling:

5 Likes

Sure, i’m self isolating at home so why not watch along :+1:

5 Likes

Looks like a good choice, also have some (allotment kindly gifted me) but still have fear to grow autos :sweat: (cannot make errors with them). This will be a good guide for the future, thanks for sharing … :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Hey ReikoX

Looking forward to this one as I’d like to see the difference in the plants from different suppliers. Do you plan on making any seeds from these or only bud ??

Cheers Johnny

5 Likes

You can grow normal plants you can grow autos. Just don’t mess too much with them. They can be topped, trained… flopped @Mr.Sparkle has some good examples of flopped plants. :grin::seedling:

5 Likes

Seed run would be cool… But I guess it’s always cool on this side… not having to put up with the hard work.

Peace

3 Likes

This is a quick run to fill my jars, no seeds this time, sorry.

8 Likes

The Royal Queen Seed NL (blue) both had tails, neither of the Female Seeds NL (green) did. I out them all in a mix of 50/50 EWC/rice hulls and watered them in.

15 Likes

The Royal Queen Seeds NL Auto (blue) have all sprouted, one is missing a cotyledon, but should pull through. Only one of the Female Seeds NL Autos (green) have sprouted, but there is still plenty of time. I got the 2x4 tent in, but I haven’t put it together yet. For now these seedlings are just chilling in my [home] office green house, 60% RH and 72°F.

16 Likes

My daughter never goes down in my basement. It’s got the big TV and the home office. While I was doing the floors in the other room, I setup the light in my old greenhouse. Of course, my daughter suddenly came down and was staring at them. So I planted some veggie seeds and left the packets there as a disguise. LMAO

36 Likes

not sure why, cuz i aint got kids, but i found this very amusing, have a great day

9 Likes

My kids are older, but I still applaud the gesture. :wink:

Just wait until they are old enough to ‘hit you up’ :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

13 Likes

Ironically, she just came down and stared at them.
Her: “What are you growing?”
Me: “What do those packets say?”
Her: “Carrots and green beans. Where are you going to put them?”
Me: “Outside, hopefully I dont kill them.”
Her: “You are better at growing inside.”
LMAO

30 Likes

LMAO BUSTED!
:rofl:

Cheers
G

13 Likes

Wonderful set up, great ideas and much to learn :wink: I will pull a chair as well :heart:

3 Likes