1st ever outdoor in n. Alberta using Sebring auto fems!

A minor update and a concern.

One of the Loco-Mota indoor ones is growing a bud on top and damned if it doesn’t look like male flowers forming! It’s early yet but take a look and see what you think.

One of the outdoor ones looks to be doing the same.

For feminized autos this is not a good sign. None of the rest including the Earth Lovers are showing any signs of flowering yet which is good. If they do turn out to be boys then I guess I’ll make some regular seeds with them

Hardly big enough to see but all are doing OK outside but have been spending too much time under plastic because of the shitty weather.

The indoor ones are actually getting bigger as they are getting a lot more light. They spend 18 hours under the MH light then get hauled upstairs to sit in the shop window from 10am-4pm in the sun while the light is off downstairs.

I’m going to switch from the 400mh to a 600 soon as the 6-7 Monkey Banana Kush clones I got from my buddy that survived are going downstairs soon. Already have the first two down there and they are throwing out lots of side branches since I topped them a week ago. The rest can go down there any time now. I’ve been checking good for bugs and haven’t found any and it’s been two weeks since I brought them home.

All for now!

:peace:

9 Likes

Definitely look male to me. What are they and who are they from?

2 Likes

The male looking ones are Sebring’s Loco-Mota. Says Auto Fem on the pack so something went a bit screwy if they are male. I only sprouted 4 so a 50:50 mix would be a bit of a surprise. I’d like to hear from anyone else who’s grown some of the Locos. Hey @Sebring have you got any feedback about these yet?

9 Likes

That’s a great photo

3 Likes

Nice stocky looking plant the Loco mota, shame they are boys.

1 Like

Thanks. I use a Nikon CoolPix L32, 20.1mp camera for my plant pics. Then I load them into my computer for cropping and resizing or they’d be 9 megabytes each. Cool little camera with manual white balance so I can calibrate it in a few seconds to take normal looking pics under any type of light. No orange or blurple in my pics! lol

2 Likes

Not supposed to be boys tho. :frowning:

I still have 8 or 9 of those seeds left so will at least collect pollen from the indoor boy and can always do the fem seed thing with the STS to get some true fem seeds if the product the girls make is something worth keeping.

Wife and I are talking about setting up that greenhouse frame to find out what size it really is but were told it’s 12x20’. If we can we’ll have it set up for next spring then we can both get plants started outside a month earlier. I’d go for a dozen auto fem pot plants at least. If the outdoor one is male I’ll just pull it and get pollen from the indoor one.

Funny thing is that both those that seem to be male were extra fat seeds from the ones I got. I marked that on the label for them to keep track of those two seeds so maybe stay away from fat seeds if you don’t want boys! lol

3 Likes

Some of the LM got hit with male Purple Heart pollen, but most should have received the female Purple Heart pollen.

3 Likes

As it stands now 3 out of 4 LM are male and one Earth Lover is too.

I’m going to stick a couple more seeds in the pots with males I guess. The one LM that isn’t showing any flowers yet is outside so hoping that one’s a girl.

2 Likes

Score now is 1 for sure Earth Lover fem auto but it’s a runt. No Loco-Mota autos but hopefully one fem outside. 3/4 went male. :frowning:

0/4 fem auto Loco-Mota tho the one in the garden seems to have female pre-flowers tho no hairs yet.
The male I had in the house and was trying to collect pollen from is just dropping flowers with no sign of pollen. The one in the garden has pollen showing so I’m going to cut it down and set it up in the house in a glass of water to keep it going enough to collect pollen from it. Same thing with the EarthLover male in the garden and I’ve already collected pollen from the indoor EL male. All the males seem to have the auto genes so can use them to make regular seeds then redo the fem aspect if the stuff seems worth keeping.

Got a good tsp of pollen from the EL boy. Will do the same with the outdoor one. I collect the flowers/pollen on tinfoil then dump it on my 180 micron kief screen into the collection pan then put it all in a vial that I put open into that jar of colour changing Drierite crystals for a couple days to dry it right out. Then I cap it and leave it in the jar with all those old ones. Need to dump them and clean the vials for further use.

The two possibly girls in the garden are showing some pre-flowers but very tiny yet. Tear-drop shaped so 90% certain they’re female but no hairs yet to confirm.

EarthLover now 24" tall and I FIMed it about a week ago when it was 20" tall. You can see the Loco-Mota boy just to the right.

The Loco-Mota ‘girl’ yesterday about 20" tall. Her brother can be seen just to the right. I have yet to water them since I put them in the garden. They got watered deep with our dugout tap water when I planted them and we’ve had rain 4 days a week since so no need tho it’s been really hot and sunny the last few days.

I’m taking the males out this weekend and planning to make some sort of cover for the ‘girls’ so I can force them to flower. It’s been 6 weeks so they certainly aren’t autos. I’ll take some cuttings off each to play with inside in case I just give up on the outdoor experiment. I’d have to cover them from 10pm-10am every day until the end of Aug then plan to keep clear cover over them hoping they finish flowering by the end of Sept if they get done by them so may just call it quits. We get some nasty wind storms here that would shred any flimsy setup. We’ve had killer frost before the end of Aug too so getting to the end of Sept or into Oct without winter getting real is a crap-shoot.

We’re looking at setting up a free greenhouse frame a neighbour gave us. Supposed to be 20x12 and kind of a quonset type. We’d just need to get a roll of 20x100ft plastic and other stuff to make it work.

The wife wants to grow huge plots of garlic next year. She’s selling some from this year already for $3.50 a bulb. Damn squirrel that’s been living in the carport for a few years is stealing them so now I have to get rid of him. Already caught two in a live trap and moved them up the road a few miles to my neighbours 1/4 section where he keeps a few steers until they are big enough to butcher. Old Sammy must have had a lady move in as one of our cats, Rory, killed a young squirrel last week. Really don’t want any of them living here. Got weasels too.

Got lots going on in the grow room. Recently repotted two of the Monkey Banana Kush plants into 4gal pots and will soon repot lots more. Shitload of stuff to do and little energy to do it.

12 Likes

Shame the outside plants are not cooperating, it’s sounds more work than its worth having to cover them every day for a month. At least you will be ready for an early start next year, if you build a frame to cover them though. We were going to try and grow garlic this year but never got round to planting any. Does you misses use store bought garlic and just break the bulbs down, and use the cloves to make new bulbs?

I got a chainsaw yesterday 14 inch 10.5 amp earthworks, from Amazon, it was on back order for a month, $90 a real bargain :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So how much meat would you get off those squirrels once there fattened up ready to butcher? Lol

1 Like

Wife buys the bulbs from various sources. She went over to a local greenhouse Thursday and bought ten of a strain she wanted for only $2/bulb and each bulb has 5-10 cloves. She’s going back to get more of a couple other varieties. A lady that came over the other day and bought 10 came back today and bought ten more at $3.50 each. Good profit off these things. Better than pot and no cops to worry about! lol She should have come up with this 20 years ago and we could have set up a commercial size greenhouse or three here on our 7.5 acres. She’s been on disability since I’ve known her but has plenty of energy for the garden and her chickens so could have built a hell of a nice home business by now. I could have been growing and selling lots of pot too but I’m too paranoid and don’t want to deal with bikers. Now it would hardly pay and still illegal to sell.

Have you used your new saw yet? Loving my little Stihl. Once warmed up it starts with half a pull and cuts great. Got lots of trees to knock down. Plenty of dead ones so will cut in 6ft lengths and sell it off cheap. Too stinking hot these days tho so will wait another couple weeks. Mornings or evenings the mosquitoes come out with a vengeance now but they don’t like the heat of the day any more than I do.

2 Likes

No I haven’t used it yet, I need to get some bar oil tomorrow. Then I am going to have a practice feel of how much strength it needs to control it, on a log. If I think I can handle a kick back, I will then start taking down the 6 dead pines in the front that are 4-5 inches thick. I don’t want to cut my head or a leg off if I have a sudden lose of grip from twinging my neck wrongly :cold_sweat: this has a very fast kill switch as soon as you take your finger off the trigger it stops.

3 Likes

Just make sure you use high revs as you hit the wood and it should never kick back. I did my first plunge cut on that big poplar behind the shop. Rev up good and go in straight like stabbing with a sword. That’s a cut than can easily kick back. Catching other branches on the top of the bar while cutting a log or tree is another kick back scenario so clear out the area around the cut and make sure you have an escape route planned for bigger trees.

Some of the larger dead ones I have here are going to be tricky. Damn things can snap without notice and I have a few snags to deal with too.

Speaking of cutting down trees I chopped down the males outside and have them in glasses of water under lights. The Loco-Mota in the spare bedroom and the Earth Lover in our bedroom closet. The L-M don’t seem to want to drop pollen. The flowers open but nothing comes out. First one like that and now this one seems the same. Lots from both the EL boys.

The one EL girl seems to be stacking on bud sites so might get an oz off her yet. Think I’ll dust a couple lower buds with the EL pollen and get some regular seeds. Could spray a branch on the other side with STS maybe but don’t know if she’s a good breeder to use tho being kind of small. The EL in the garden is 27" tall now.

3 Likes

Cheers for the cutting tips, the way I can be accident prone, I don’t want to take any chances with something this lethal lol.

The TER male I had, produced very little for the amount of flowers it produced, it was very confusing. I kept thinking it was blowing off the parchment paper. So I put down a 30x24 inch piece of card, and maybe 1 in 8 flowers produced a tiny bit of pollen.

I’ve cut a lot of big trees down and mine aren’t all that big. Maybe 40ft or so but all branched out at the top and dead so when they hit the ground dead branches snap off and fly all over like shrapnel so have to keep others away. When I cut the snags i’ll get the wife to stand off out of the way with a whistle to blow if she sees any branches break off while I’m cutting. Lot of folks get hurt or killed with that kind of thing. I have wedges and a 3ton come-along I can use to control the direction of fall too. A couple big dead ones close to the highway and don’t want them landing on the road.

Think of it like making a tricky pool shot. How the tree leans, wind direction etc. Cut a 1/3 deep wedge on the side you want it to fall then cut horizontally from the back toward the point of the wedge. Bob’s your uncle!

Just remember to keep the revs up. You don’t want to run it high with no resistance but hammer the trigger down before hitting the wood. Just light pressure and for bigger logs rocking it up and down cuts thru easier than one level cut. Try not to get the saw trapped in a wedge so think about how the wood is bending before cutting thru. Don’t want the cut to close on the bar and trap your saw. Sometimes need to undercut about a 1/3 way thru then come down from the top for horizontal cuts.

A little pollen is all you need. I’ve read a lot about cutting it 10:1 with cornstarch or lightly toasted white flour. Keeps it dry and works as well as straight pollen or so it’s said. I usually have lots of pollen so never needed to dilute it.

6 Likes

Overdue update time.

Final score is one actual Earth Lover auto fem girl indoors and one EL regular girl outdoors. 6 Males with the one Loco-Mota outside finally showing balls.

The indoor girl has had two lower branches pollinated. One with a mix of the two EL males and the other done with the one Loco-mota male auto that gave pollen. I’ll get some regular auto seeds out of her at least.

The boy was starting to split flowers open so he got the chop yesterday. Got out the big Fiskars and took him out after getting a few branches to take inside and collect some pollen off. Not sure if I’m going to use it for anything as without having any of that strain’s bud to sample I’m not sure if it’s worth perpetuating. I’ll be growing out more of the seeds in search of the ones that auto fem but maybe @Sebring could chime in and let me know what he thinks and he may have use for the pollen too. Nice plant for sure with good sturdy stems and decent structure.

The stems are like stalks of celery ffs. lol

The EL girl officially hit 48" today and is starting to bud up nicely so I need to get some cuttings ASAP and grow them indoors as a photo plant which will be fine if it has a good level of CBD. Looks like it could yield heavy and that’s a trait that’s always nice to find. I’m counting the official flowering start date a week back on Aug. 16 when it started putting out more than pre-flowers and the tops thickening up as it forms buds. Hopefully it’s a fast finisher as 8 weeks from the 16th puts me at Oct. 11 which is well into the frosty/snow season around here.

I’m going to move those supports I put in and raise them as they can go up another 22" from where they are now. She doesn’t seem to be stretching all that much so I should be good. A little closer together too so that panda film can go around the back and each side to catch more light as the angle of the sun lowers. I’ll rig up a clear plastic cover for chilly or frost forecast nights and can even put a small heater in there if needed to save her. I want to crop her out and see how much bud she can put out. Should be fun. :slight_smile:

Top view.

Still got lots going on in the grow room and will be giving my Monkey Banana Kush plants their 4th spray in this 2nd cycle to make sure the last of the thrips are gone for sure. I spent an hour with a magnifying glass yesterday searching every freakin’ leaf on all the plants and didn’t find a single bug but one last spray to use it up and make sure. The two I put in in the 4 gal pots on July 29 will be going into flower in a week and a half or so and I’ll be spraying a branch or two with STS so I can make some fem seeds with them and other strains. I’m giving 4 to my buddy as he’s cropped his plants and needs something for his grow tent and I have one more to keep as a mom. No pics atm.

All for now.

10 Likes

Looking really good hope the weather holds long enough to finish .im just next door to the east and the leaves on the trees are already starting to turn and the nights are getting cool.

2 Likes

Starting to cool down here too so I’ll have to see how it goes. I hope to pull it off but if we hit a real cold patch that lasts more than a day or two I may have to take her early.

Another fun experiment I guess. lol

2 Likes