20 year old bag seed

I’ve started from seed a handful of plants. One of the plants is some bag seed from high school (1990’s) I’ve done everything the same. But my old seed just doesn’t seem to be growing the same as the rest. It looks healthy but not keeping up with seeds that I’ve purchased recently. What are your thoughts?

13 Likes

Oregano can be a slow growing plant :upside_down:

Jokes aside, it’s prolly just genetics at this point.

10 Likes

Ya I mean it looks perfectly healthy, maybe it’s just slow from being dormant for so long. I’d love to see what it turns out to be.

6 Likes

Does it have the same amount of nodes as the others? Or there abouts. I agree with Pali that its more than likely just the different genetics.

7 Likes

that one looks like it’s f’d itself, defo not genetic evolution…I can dig up some old school seeds if someone wants to test the theory though

6 Likes

It’s one set of nodes back. Hopefully itcatches Up. Perhaps a hermie

2 Likes

You might be onto something. Guess we wait and see haha

2 Likes

I’ve seen slow growers turn around catch up and even get larger then plants that were twice its size. I’m working on a pure kush atm, one eed was about half the height of the others for the first month of growth but it has sense caught up and is twice as bushy. I always watch the mutants and runts closely sometimes there the hidden gem, or sometimes there hermie but it’s always fun to watch different growth traits display them selves

6 Likes

Sweeet thanks for the info.

3 Likes

Also keep in mind that the small plant might be in a bit of shade from the taller ones and is way further away from the light. Maybe try putting it up on something closer to the canopy and see if it speeds up a bit

1 Like

Looking good! My runt never caught up. Honestly wish I got rid of it and let the giant thrive optimally!

2 Likes

Update for today -

I’m running in this room DarkShadowHaze, Mosca regular mix, White Widows and death Bubba. These are about 4 weeks from seed now and have been topped 2-4 times each.

These are the DSH and Mosca Mix

4 Likes

Its grown about an inch this week hahaa so doing better?

And to give a little background. This is a 20 year old bagseed that I remember to be from a WhitShark or Garlic strain. I never labeled them and just put them away. I’ve got over 30 seeds to try. I’m starting with 1.

6 Likes

looks happy and healthy to me, probably just a slow growing indica dominant hybrid. Looks like it’s starting to branch nicely at the 3rd node. I expect that once it makes few more nodes and starts putting out 5 blade leaves it will begin to take off.
just baby it, and make sure to transplant it if you see any signs of root lock. I have occasionally seen slow vegging plants like this that have more aggressive growth in the root system than the foliage. In that case, they tend to get rootbound as small plants and take off once I transplant them into the final container.

3 Likes

@zephyr thanks for that. It seems like the nodes grow directly on top of each other then separate.

2 Likes

I’d recommend taking some clones in late veg or early flowering during preflower stretch, it might turn out to be something very interesting even if it is just an s1 from a commercial grow.
I’m actually growing an old Durban Pie (grandaddy purp dom cherry pie bx to durban) bagseed from an old Fillmore Boys street dealer in San Francisco. It took a long time for me to get it established and healthy, but now it’s a 3’ tall 2.5’ wide beast in my flowering tent. Hopefully it will be stable and worth keeping around, but no matter what it’s going to be awesome to taste that bud again.

4 Likes

How was the smoke on that, way back when? Sounds good but could be a high maintenance girl heheh

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Most seed loses vigour with storage, normally associated with rises and falls in temperature and moisture content.
I was just reading about this, the seeds in the pharisees chamber survived 1000’s years as it was such a stable environment, or so the theory goes, maybe they were GM

4 Likes

It was a nice one, pretty sticky with layers of amber trichomes. That was the only bud I’ve ever seen that was both gold and purple. The smell was like moist soil and lemon heads, and the flavor was pretty much classic grandaddy purple sweetness and grape. Classic bay area high, makes you numb and ready to go dumb.

I grew one other Durban Pie bagseed in my 2015 outdoor grow and got a dense dark colored indica dominant pheno with an unusual rank smell that cured to chocolate, mint, and greasy funk. lots of amber and red/purple trichomes. It had a wild narcotic high, similar to the original.
The current pheno grows as a broad round bush with the same leaves as the other pheno, but it’s viney and lanky like a sativa.

4 Likes

Now she’s going!!!

10 Likes