Growing from Bagseed - What to look out for? (or) Best methods in Pheno hunting the original magic?

Hey y’all!

So lets throw out a hypothetical that we can all relate too:

"Hey, I found some nice looking seeds in these quality buds."

We all know that bag seed is not as stable as the originally bred plant; but we have also all heard to stories of absolute fire coming from specimens grown out from seeds found in flowers about to be smoked.

For me I have found that my last year’s Kosher Kush has some seeb in it and while I am currently in the process of my first attempt at S1 creation with healthy clones, I have created this thread in hopes of gathering as much information from all of us with regards to growing these (and other) gems out in an attempt of obtaining seeds as close to the original plant as possible.

Other than accounting for obvious mutations and hermies, what is everyone’s process?
Thank you everyone in advance for the hive mind action!

11 Likes

Same deal as fancy seeds really.

The big caveat is that you don’t know what you’re getting. Pollinated by your neighbour’s Pet hemp plant maybe?

I’ve had good and not so good bagseed experiences. Both fire and mild herms.

But you can get garbage from known genetics too. So who can say :man_shrugging:

14 Likes

Right, Forrest Gump’s box of chocolates analogy.
You could get anything :vulcan_salute:

Cheers
G

11 Likes

many elites have come from bagseed.

9 Likes

I have a buddy that found one seed in an 1/8th of Bubba Fett from Flora Farms Missouri. The buds had a nice purple color and were more potent than the original. Sadly the clones from that plant were sickly and did not do well at all.

6 Likes

Grow as many as you are able. Cull the oddballs, mutants, slowpokes, and weirdos.

Grow the remaining plants. Most will likely be female. Pick the good ones.

All there is to it.

13 Likes

Mutant runts are a personal fav.

Cheers
G

9 Likes

all i know is i had like 500 seeds from a lb of some amazing purple indica back around 15 20 years ago popped like 150 of them and found one that smelled so good bag appeal was an 11/10 just nothing but golf balls on a short squat plant. i would trade everything alive in my garden to get it back. :cry:

8 Likes

Purple indica is one of my all times, my uncle still holds a cut actually from WAY BACK, stuff is ridiculous light full on euphoria every time, then ridiculous couch lock like glue after, he crossed it with Malawi a few years back and that stuff smells so sweet and dank it’s nuts, white as snow when finished. You would think it’s a modern cut but nope 20 years old

10 Likes

exactly i would put that cut i had up against anything now days it was just a knockout heavy eye lids potent high. and i had no idea what i was doing back then for the most part (still not the most knowledge) i didnt even ph or anything lol

1 Like

Any chance you can get it and make a trade? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.
Growing out bag seeds definitely has more appeal nowadays vs the seedy brick or outdoor stuff from back in the day. Most stuff I get is grown indoors, so a seed here and there are like little gems. You usually know the mother at least, then it’s a mystery pollen donor, likely from a plant that threw nanners. So likely it’s a fem seed, with herm possibilities. But it would either be a s1 of the bud you bought, or a cross with another quality bud. I found two seeds in a bag of banana kush, both grew out beautifully and were better than the bag I got them from.

4 Likes

With bagseed it’s always good to note, if you get a cluster of beans from the bud it’s quite possible it comes from pollen, whether from herm or accidental. What you you want is that lone seed from a bud.

7 Likes

Yezzir, the lone seed which is the sign of the plant trying to protect its progeny for the future with One lone female seed. Those are where the gems will be found I have 3 saved up thus far from a few killer craft gem bags I shelled out for over the years. @Seamonkey84 , that’s his gem, his masterpiece that him and his partner have protected for 20 years and kept alive only through clone. I’m 99.9% sure one day it will be passed down in the near future as him and his partner sort of molded me from a young age about the wonders of growing cannabis. It’s also how I’ve been blessed with many cuts over the years. The day I do. I assure you I’ll message YOU

5 Likes

We just found a single seed in a large bud of blue dream x haze from a dispensary. Mama really likes this bud, so guess what just got put at the head of the line

6 Likes

Most certainly gonna be better than the bud it came from. Keep us posted, plz…

2 Likes

The best street weed I’ve seen this year had 2 seeds in it I saved. Smelled and tasted just like watermelons. Think of all the famous cuts that came from either bagseed or hermie accidents. I think it’s the plant’s way of securing it’s end of the bargain, to throw hermies every now and then. One may hold whatever strain or cut to themselves until the plant decides to kick out a few S1s and some lucky stoner finds it in their 8th. In exanple, all the OG kushes we have now or the Chems.

4 Likes

Doing a few cherry diesel bagseeds. Most were empty and lacked color from few bags got few tapped.
Ive seen others in IG with seeds seems to be prone to it i guess I’ll find out in 4 months

3/4 selected heavy seeds
If they r healthy ill start a short

journal.

Flower smoked like sour d with a bit of sharp sour fruit.

6 Likes

Really been looking forward to smoking this peanut butter breath, choice nug one seed could it be a gem lone female last genetic push from the plant thats flowers i behold?

8 Likes

DO IT!

:fist:

2 Likes

I grew what i was told to be gmo. The seeds came from store bought stuff so I can’t confirm that it was in fact gmo, it had a few bananas on it late in flower but no seed. It did turn out some nice nugs. I have some others that were given to me, dirty thirty, and platinum cookies.

1 Like