2024 New England/Upstate NY Outdoor Growing Discussion

Definetly add cow shit.

1 Like

Definitely will. Should be aged and composted by end of April/early May (7 month pile) so I can let things mix and settle before I plant. You compost your own stuff?

Anyone else grow with poo, their soil or peat and light amendments?

2 Likes

I use chicken and cow shit inside and out.

3 Likes

We dump cow manure all winter on the field. It’s a mix of manure and straw.

3 Likes

Glad you brought this up. When do you stop dumping your poo? Do you start in the fall or do any growing then? How do you feel it breaks down over the season before you start growing? Straw and manure sounds very natural and to the point.

1 Like

I love this forum BTW…yall are great.

2 Likes

I work poo/compost in ahead of winter with a broad fork and will do it again next week maybe.

2 Likes

I have always been advised to use “Aged Manure”, 2 - 3 years MINIMUM. I’ve actually used some much older than that. Good Luck, take care, stay safe and, be well…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

have chickens too, and started a pile of their poop as well. First year using my own animal compost…just want to play it all right. Also have used soil to re-amend and get ready for the season. I cant wait till grow time…

We get it spread a couple times over winter. Usually start putting stuff in the ground in may/June
You need to talk to your source. Some farms use copper sulfate to protect the cow’s hooves

2 Likes

Nice. Makes sense. Also…this is assuming you till, right? So, poop, your native soil, and straw. Or no till and just quality poo and straw mix? Thanks again.

1 Like

Everyone has their methods, but I’d recommend looking into using a broad fork for your home garden. Very beneficial and helps remove rocks.

3 Likes

Got one and you are 100% correct. And the kids make work a little less hard, lol.

1 Like

Delaware county is clay and rock. Definitely till it in. I want to get a lot more stuff to add to the soil personally. I want a big truck load of wood chips and mushroom dirt

2 Likes

Delaware county in NY?

1 Like

That be the place

1 Like

small world. I’m in Chenango County. Clay indeed.

2 Likes

now we’re getting local, lol. I live in Afton.

1 Like

There are a few of us in about an hour or so ride
I know the town vaguely. I used to live in trout creek. Farm is outside Stamford, but I’m in Olivebridge

1 Like

Went to 5th - 10th grade in Sidney before I moved to good ol NEPA (home of the office :roll_eyes:).

Good to know there are others within the hour and with near identical conditions. There are a couple spots that deliver compost (one in norwich for relatively dirt cheap prices if I remember correct. Another in Sidney, I think…im sure theres more)