2024 New England/Upstate NY Outdoor Growing Discussion

Here’s a freeze 7 I got going. And some freezeland ibls. I’ll be using these to breed into some more potent strains.

9 Likes

I should probably start giving some thought to what I might run outdoors this year. Maybe I’ll even sex test this year, I dunno.

3 Likes

I found this sweet website with a list and map of composting businesses all over Massachusetts and some in CT/RI/NH

https://recyclingworksma.com/recyclers/?fwp_material=food-waste-compostables

10 Likes

Maybe I didn’t filter correctly but I looked to see if the people I bought compost from last year (Martin’s Farm in Greenfield) were listed… did not appear to be on there.

2 Likes

I use Bear Path in Whately myself so I didn’t even look at local places but I bet it’s not comprehensive

3 Likes

IMG_8266 IMG_8264

7 Likes

Great info. Where would I be able to get ny info like this?

3 Likes

IMG_8284 IMG_8264

https://www.nrcc.cornell.edu/services/blog/2011/05/10_last_frost/index.html

14 Likes

Look, LI isn’t really like northern NY, Mass and northern NE. Weird.

5 Likes

Not all that weird. The ocean stores & dissipates thermal energy a lot more efficiently than the ground, so it tends to act as a buffer. It happens around the Great Lakes too, there’s quite a few purple/blue zones on the map that shade towards yellow as they get closer to the lake shore. I’m in an area like that myself, and I’ve noticed that a lot of storms tend to get swept off the coast and miss us even as they slam the rest of the region.

4 Likes

Suffolk county has been moved up to zone 7b from 7a. I wont be surprised at all when Nassau county and Manhattan get moved zone 8

edit after fact checking myself Here’s a breakdown:

• Most of Suffolk County: Zone 7a (average minimum temperatures of 0°F to 5°F)
  • Copiague Harbor, Lindenhurst, and Montauk: Zone 7b
2 Likes

NWS Albany maybe?

1 Like
3 Likes

This is the big national USDA weekly newsletter

5 Likes

I grew up on long Island, I’m now an hour north of Albany. When i go down to my doctor’s appointments in Manhasset (on long island) flowers are blooming already when I still have a foot of snow in my yard at home. I remember when I was a kid driving upstate, close to where I live now, watching the scenery change out the car window from green to brown to white.

7 Likes

Here’s the info on that USDA bulletin and an easy permalink to the Cornell release of it every week:

• The Weekly Weather and Crop Bulletin is released by 4:00 p.m. on the second workday of each week. The Bulletin includes the National Summary, State Stories, current data for weather, temperature and precipitation and international agricultural weather. The full report is jointly published by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce, the National Agricultural Statistics Service, and the World Agricultural Outlook Board

https://usda.library.cornell.edu/concern/publications/cj82k728n

3 Likes

I think the main takeaway from all of the last frost date maps is… don’t get too excited, it’s still only March and it’s likely we have more cold weather ahead of us. People got excited last year and put plants out, and then we had a cold snap in May and people lost some plants.

3 Likes

The apple crop was screweddddd. Temps up here are dropping into hard freeze territory over night, hopefully the Sap keep flowing

3 Likes

Sap stopped in ulster county already
These dates are changing every year also. The last time I heard the line for the different zones was moving 90 meters a year north

2 Likes

I’m worried it has here as well, but we will see later this week, hope not