3 4 A Kg (Three For a 🔑) even more Automatic Writing

:speaking_head: @GCBudz more replication = more flowers! :+1:t3:
And holy cr@p I haven’t heard that song in like… forever! :joy::v:

2 Likes

Here for the show, staying for the banter. Good luck! That Black cream in the photo :point_up_2: is epic!

:eyes: :popcorn:
:robot:

6 Likes

Frampton comes alive was my go-to double album from separating seed from from brick weed @GCBudz . A classic.:grin:

4 Likes

:speaking_head: @Budderton and REO Speedwagon Live - Ridin’ the Storm Out. REO + Molly Hatchet Live in ‘78 tripping on mescaline. Needless to say, killer show! :joy:

6 Likes

We are dating ourselves…

July 11, 1977… JFK stadium Philadelphia. Dickie Betts, J. Geils, Lynyrd Skynyrd (with Ronnie) and Peter Frampton… i had just turned 15. My first concert, actually a few first’s that day. :wink:

6 Likes

Man, I am pretty excited to see this grow.

As everyone has pointed out the Black Cream turned out spectacular :star_struck:

But the Automatic Writing Magical Mystery Tour produced a Fantastic representation of JLo also. :heart_eyes: :butter:

I am thinking you will be hitting your 2.2 lbs. :balance_scale: total dry weight.

Taking a seat for the “Automatic Writing Magical Mystery Tour” . :call_me_hand:

8 Likes

:speaking_head: @Maddawg without a doubt JLo is an excellent strain. I like her a lot and man is she a sweetie but for the purpose of this exercise; while she is a great producer and her flowers are truly scrumptious she’s just too spindly to produce much more than 8 oz’s. I figure if the other two are anything like I hope they will be - dank oily dense buds; the Black Cream will not have to pick up much if any slack in the yield.

3 Likes

3 4 A Kg (Three For a :key:)
1 October 2022

I’ve had a few comments regarding the journal title:
3 4 A Kg (Three For a :key:) even more Automatc Writing

If you find yourself in the befuddled group I hope this text explanation helps:

“I’m not sure I understand what you don’t understand. :joy:
Trying for 1 kilo for 3 plants - aka 3 4 A :key:
Automatic writing is a play on words as I’m writing about autos and automatic writing is doing nothing and letting the spirits move your hands - no work on your part.

Of course I don’t believe in automatic writing but I do believe in automatic writing :writing_hand: :sunglasses::joy::rofl:

Fingers crossed this helps clear up any confusion - automatically!

7 Likes

So… Act 1: three seeds popped, three healthy sprouts. Not all of us earthlings get that batting average.

Explicate your process Professor. What’s your germination protocol?

-Grouchy
PS, I’m cribbing this dialog for our next BU2BPPP version… :rofl: :v: :green_heart:

5 Likes

:speaking_head: @GrouchyOldMan ya know - I really don’t have a magic process.

• I insure seeds stay as fresh as possible by storing them in their original shipping containers, in a paper bag in a large ziplock storage bag and kept in their own special door in the refrigerator crisper.
  • I use the plastic baggie and paper towel method and do my best to start germination as close to the new or full moon as possible.
  • As long as the paper towel is not too wet or too dry and is in the Goldilocks zone and if sprouted seeds are placed tap root down and lightly covered with starting medium and if I follow these simple steps and guidelines I have amazing success.

Using this method I have had only one … maybe two seeds NOT germinate in over 10 years of indoor growing (and some of those seeds have been 8 years old). The vast majority are ready to go in the starting medium in 36 hours from start of germination.

Lightly covered in the starting medium (jiffy pods) most have their heads above ground within 48 hours of putting the germinated seeds into the net pots.

:v:

5 Likes

Looks like you have things set out great. Some fantastic autos from some of you guys.

Thanks for clearing up the 3 4 a key thing, it makes sense. i kind of misunderstood thinking it could mean £/€/$/3400 for a killo . Being old school im not very good at abrviations.

1 Like

I use a similar method and while I’m 100% on germination, I’ve had some issues with getting sprouts started in DWC.

Takin that baby sprout, angling the sometimes weird tap root, setting up in bubble buckets…I haven’t lost one but I’ve definitely stunted a few and I feel like the time really matters when dealing with autoflowers.

My workflow:

1. dampen half of a small paper towel, fold in a bean, place in glass tupperware thing, leave in dark warm closet. wait 36 hours
  2. while waiting prep hydro bucket with super super super light nute solution, set up in tent with air stone running and everything
  3. dampen 1.5" rockwool cube, place on lite layer of hydroton in 4" netcup, drop in bubble bucket.
  4. take a look in that warm closet and find a nice sprout, drop that sprout in the damp rockwool cube, surround cube with hydroton, top over with plastic dome.

it’s really step 4 where I’ve had trouble getting the sprout to seat well. Just be more careful? Let me know if I’m missing any tricks, still a newbie :pray::pray::pray:

2 Likes

Well there ya go, and I thought you cant top or heavily prune autos, this will be an education @BU2B.

1 Like

:speaking_head: @logangrowgan2020
Your process sounds very much like what I do with the exception of the rock wool; I’ve always used jiffy pods.

As long as the tap root is facing downward the plant WILL right itself as needed. They’ve been doing it for some time without our assistance.

The only suggestion I have is maybe next time give the expandable jiffy pods a try as you can lightly cover the germinated seeds with soil.

Best wishes in your future :v:

2 Likes

:speaking_head: @Jango ahh… I think that’s still true. However the method I use you only top the plant one time, everything else is LST to establish plant structure. The only real exception from the accepted norm is that I top my plants as soon as is possible - about the time common knowledge says Autos are entering their first growth spurt (around week 2) :wink::v:

1 Like

Following with interest mate,should be quit a show​:+1::green_heart:

1 Like

3 4 A Kg (Three For a :key:) even more Automatic Writing

2 October 2022

24 Hours with their heads above the soil.
Ph per tub ranges between 5.8 - 6.0
Tent environment - Humidity 32% Temp 86°f
All plants received the following in their tubs:
3 ml Flora Trio Micro
3 ml Flora Trio Gro
3 ml Flora Trio Bloom
15 ml Hydroguard

Everyone is pretty much upright at this point and net pots have been rotated to the plants growth pattern.
These baby pictures are about 30 minutes old - the next planned grow update will be on day 8 (Week 2 Day 1; Saturday 8 October)

Until the next time … stay Happy, Healthy & High :v:ssmokeit

8 Likes

So what’s your schedule for Hydroguard?

Every feeding? Or, “As Needed?” “Preventative,” or “Reactive?”

I use it, but I don’t think I understand it…

Illuminate, elucidate, or otherwise enlighten us please,

Respectfully Submitted,
-Grouchy :sunglasses: :v: :green_heart:

4 Likes

:speaking_head: @GrouchyOldMan
I use Hydroguard every time ANY liquid is added to the tubs. I would have to say for me it’s definitely preventative.

Growing in DWC Hydro in the desert in a poor man’s home with only evaporative cooling adjustments have to be made.

I’ve experienced root rot and root issues in the past and have no desire to revisit the experience if at all possible. I’ve found two things specifically will allow DWC hydro users to grow outside of the accepted normal range of temperatures; excellent aeration and Hydroguard.

If growing in Hydro in warm temps you want as much O2 to the roots as possible as long as it’s not damaging your roots. This alone can allow Hydro growers an extended high temperature in their tubs in the mid to high 70’s. 80’s for only short periods of time.

Enzymatic additives like Hydroguard contribute live cultures to you water or other growing medium. I think of it as plant yogurt. It adds the ability for the plant to benefit from not only the nutrients in a more well balanced way, but also any decay from damaged roots don’t become root issues they instead become root food as the cultures eat the bad roots and transform it into food.

I really have no problem going over and above label amounts when adding Hydroguard from time to time, but I never add less than the recommended dosage.

Just my two cents my friend, which we all know isn’t worth Jack Sh!t but costs 2.6 cents to make! :joy::v:

4 Likes

:left_speech_bubble:I’m adding a bit of an update to my comment/reply
3 October 2022

The way I look at it (from the top and a little to the left) until your plants are actually above the ground (so to speak) they are sprouts - not until the seed cap has been dropped off and the cotyledon appear is the plant really a seedling. Even though seedling development begins at germination. I tend to think in terms of embryo vs child so I have always counted the start of the grow once sprouting/cotyledon are above the ground. It’s a baby when it’s hatched NOT when it’s attached to the uterus. e.g., fried eggs vs baby chicks in my book. I wouldn’t worry too much about stunting growth until after it’s up. Do what you can but I don’t see much evidence pointing to a healthier baby that was born at exactly 9 months vs one born at 9 months and 1 week. :v:

4 Likes