3/5 different strains Hermaphrodite ?!

I don’t think so. You can stress a plant over and over and it won’t hermie if it’s not in its code… Light leaks, pH and all of those things are myths.

If a plant hermies it’s because of its make up.

Are you saying that a parent plant under stress produces hermie seeds?

1 Like

That is my understanding. Stress to the mother plant can produce all male, all female or a mix of normal and hermies, so I have read.

99%

2 Likes

Never heard anything more than rumors on that…same rumors that talk about correlations between environment and sex of seedlings (that now we do know is genetically predetermined).
Any legit source for that claim ?
Edit 1 : I’ve noticed that I came out a bit rude so I wanted to clarify one thing : if yourself noticed something similar, that’s a legit source in my book.
Ds

2 Likes

I crossed a Qrazy Train female with a Deep Purple male.

The soil I made myself, and it was poor to be kind. The QT never looked good after flip, but I wanted the cross.

I have had 1 female out of about 15 so far. Could just be bad luck.

One never knows for sure without the resources to devote.

I am trying to remember where I read this. Its been a while. I’ll keep after it.

99%

It is all in the name of learning, let it fly!

In the case of cannabis, there are differing points of view. It is thought that the embryo that contains the seed is not a simple diploid cell, but rather a triploid cell (XXX, XXY, XYY or YYY) or even a tetraploid cell (XXXX, XXXY, XXYY, XYYY or YYYY). This theory is plausible. However, if genetic circumstances alone influenced the likelihood of having a pure female plant that only has female flowers, the chances of this happening would be minimal, and since cases of hermaphroditism are at the very least quite rare, it would appear that the genetic make-up of the seed cannot be the sole factor involved in determining the sex of marijuana plants. It is for this reason that some cannabis growers place more importance on growing conditions, since it has been seen that under poor conditions there is a predominance of male plants. This theory could well be correct, especially if looked at it from the point of view of nature itself: a plant, just like any other life form, has a single purpose – procreation. The observation that under adverse conditions there is a certain tendency for a higher number of males to be produced may, in my opinion, be due to the fact that under adverse conditions it is unlikely that the offspring (descendants) will be able to reproduce successfully. Since a female can produce a certain number of female flowers, which will give rise to an equal or lower number of seeds, the higher the number of females, the more descendants there will be. However, under extreme conditions, wise Mother Nature steps in and increases the number of male specimens, since although there is more pollen if there are, for example, 100,000 female flowers, there will never be more than 100,000 seeds, and thus the population will regulate the gender of the plants’ descendants, avoiding overpopulation under less than optimal conditions.

I think this is where I got it from.

99%

5 Likes

I will get some pictures up later when my lights are on this evening of my enviroment.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Best and most pungent smelling strains

Quote from
Cannabis breeders bible by Greg Green:
Selfing
Selfing is the ability of a plant to produce seeds without the aid of another plant and refers to hermaphrodite plants that are able to self-pollinate. Hermaphrodite plants have both male and female flowers.This usually means that the hermaphrodite plant is monoecious. Most plants are dioecious and have male and female flowers on separate plants.

Monoecious cannabis strains will always display both sexes regardless of the growing conditions. Under optimal growing conditions a monoecious cannabis strain will still produce both male and female flowers on the same plant. Under optimal growing conditions a dioecious cannabis strain will produce male and female flowers on separate plants.

Stressful growing conditions can cause some dioecious cannabis strains to produce both male and female flowers on the same plant. Manipulating an irregular photoperiod during the flowering stage is an easy way to encourage the dioecious hermaphrodite condition. Not all dioecious cannabis strains can become hermaphrodites. The dioecious cannabis strain must have a preexisting genetic disposition to become hermaphrodite under stressful conditions in order for male and female flowers to appear on the same plant.

If you find a dioecious cannabis strain that has the hermaphrodite condition you can separate this plant from the rest and allow selfing to occur. If the male pollen is viable on this plant then the hermaphrodite will produce seeds. Selfed plants that produce seeds will eventually generate offspring that:

1. Are all female
  2. Are all hermaphrodite
  3. Produce male, female and hermaphrodite plants because the environment also influences the final sexual expression of the selfed plant
  4. Express limited variation from the original selfed plant
    Breeders should note that it is nearly impossible for a hermaphrodite to create male plants although environment can influence males to appear. Hermaphrodites usually create female-only and hermaphrodite seeds. The female-only seeds often carry the hermaphrodite trait. Selfing has become popular among those who wish to breed all-female or feminized seeds. Unfortunately feminized seeds do very little for the cannabis gene pool as the hermaphrodite condition prevents growers from generating a sinsemilla crop.

Well-informed breeders tend to shy away from producing feminized seeds. Feminized seeds should only be used for bud production and not for breeding. Generating seeds from feminized plants is only advised for personal use and not for distribution.

Excerpt from Cannabis breeders Bible by Greg Green

6 Likes

Quote from
Cannabis breeders bible by Greg Green:

It is very important to maintain the 12/12 photoperiod with females that have received pollen. If you revert to vegetative growth or disrupt the 12/12 photoperiod it can have an adverse effect on the production of seeds. Also the plant may produce hermaphrodites because of photoperiod related stress and you will only end up with selfed seeds and standard seeds that are indistinguishable from one another. A suspect hermie can render an entire breeding period void and the breeder will have to start that term over again.

It is also worth keeping in mind that even in optimal environmental conditions some sinsemilla branches from certain strains can produce hermaphrodites. Although there may be only one male flower per cola of bud, if the pollen is viable then that branch may produce some seeds. Avoid using these seeds in any breeding program. The pollen may also spread to other branches. This means that there may be a chance that some hermaphrodite pollen has contaminated another branch on the same plant or has traveled to a neighboring plant. Sinsemilla branches are best avoided in breeding environments. If you are going to pollinate your plant try and pollinate the whole plant. The other way to prevent this minor percentage of hermaphrodite seeds is to simply keep a close eye on your females for any signs of male flowers and clip them away as quickly as possible.

Excerpt from Cannabis breeders Bible by Greg Green

3 Likes

i don’t know if you call it bad luck or good luck i’ve been try to hermie some of my plants without success, sometimes when you try to do something it wont work i’ve tried low temps and high temps fluctuation bent defoliate when dont suppose to you name it everything except for chemicals

2 Likes

Sounds like you have stable genetics

to light stress:
12/12 for 10 days
24 on
12/12 for 2-3days
24 on
12/12 for 2-3 days
darkenss 24 hours
12/12 for 14 days

if no hermies

stable

this is from breeders bible but,
Queso from Kannabia withstood this
Sticky timer lol

2 Likes

I think you would stress them more if your dark cycles were less than 12 hours. @GreenCaciqueHawaii why are you trying to get intersex plants?

1 Like

Kush genetics tend to herm from seed esp from random breeders, alot of people selfed clone only strains to get seeds and feminized seeds in my expieriance are more prone to problems then anything , got to test everything and find the keeper

get some pollen to get feminized seeds from the same cut to keep the genetics without sacrificing a spot at the moment our plant count is 10 hopefully will be 24 by summer

Colloidal Silver, or Silver Thiosulphate (STS) will probably do what you want. Or messing with the night cycles once they go into flower.

1 Like

You don’t want to reverse plant with Hermie traits…
Mr Soul talks quite clearly about it in a video on YouTube : first find a plant that doesn’t Herm ever, then reverse a clone with CS or STS and get that “good” pollen. Good as in “Herm free” sense…
Ds

6 Likes

have to work w the resources i had haha looks the one si have a are pretty resilient cuz nothing nada had a plant that gave me 3 nanners and gave me only one single seed it was a blueberry thinking about give her a try really soon

i’ve never had a plant hermie and i’ve mostly grown feminised seeds. there’s been times where i was responsible for manually controlling the light schedule… needless to say in the middle of flower there’s been times where i’ve left the light off for 36-48 hours and other times i’ve left the light on for 36-48 hours, times where it’s been 12-12 or 16-8 and sometimes 8-16… all in the same week. but the plants are already seeded so maybe that’s why they aren’t herming? idk but i got tired of it and hooked up my 2nd timer today

2 Likes

Sometimes they will make 'nanners inside the bud where you can’t see them, and make a couple seeds.

5 Likes

That would make sense. If the ability to produce intersex flowers is an attempt at procreation, already seeded plants may not trigger that genetic expression.

3 Likes

It is still triggered by stress and genetics. I have been able to isolate buds on plants with pollen, only to find the entire plant brimming with seed.

99%

1 Like