300 to 450 grams per square ft

Showing pictures of a perpetual SoG every week just looks like the last picture because every week is the same. It’s a very intensive gardening style that allows for little mistakes especially in the weekly plan.
Bag last fortnights dry buds, harvest this week mature plants and hang to dry, clean medium to re-use if needed, plant clones that were cut 2 weeks ago, take clones from mother plant, trim excess from spare mothers, defoliate plants in week 5, water and feed!
Then try to add a different strain that takes different time to strike roots or different flowering time planning and documentation becomes essential and standard.

Happy days.

6 Likes

Battery farming not nice.

what strains can you recommend for high yield/good effect/short flowering period/resistance/SOG?

sounds like what everyone wants or claims to have.

3 Likes

Be monotonous for sure if it was the same strain all the time. I don’t think I would do that. Varying cuts and keeping one little cabinet always in flower and 2-4 Mom’s :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well say we look at it as grams to watt, and say the grow space is using a 50 watts per square foot (9000 lux). That works out at 9 grams per watt. If you were to take that 9 grams and convert it back to energy it’s likely it would produce more joules than it took to create it, the law of conservation of energy be damned. So… to get 9 grams to the watt, not only you would have to break the laws of physics you would need a plant with a photosynthetic efficiency that is many orders of magnitude higher that any plant known and if you could do that, fuck smoking it, you would seed it, make bio diesel from it and power the world with it.

11 Likes

Best fkn answer ever…

it ended not in a gun shot but in a whimper

4 Likes

I looked at this, read the specs, and this is how I felt

But what IS it.

:joy:

2 Likes

Growing a cannabis plant that resembles a brussel sprout plant, more than an actual cannabis plant would seem to appear.

mike28086

2 Likes

Critical Mass or Critical 2.0 are well suited, AK 47 or Tutankhamen are also great for SOG but can be a bit leafy sometimes. Medical seeds Channel + and Sick Meds Williams Wonder are also awesome… IF I was a dedicated SOG grower… Something like a mix of Critical + and Williams Wonder would be on my to do list.

3 Likes

meh this is not a linear equation and the space is not flat. This cannot be figured just on square footage it neglects a dimension completely. what can be grown in 4 ft^3 is not flat either.

7 Likes

Tutankamen was good smoke but was bud rot city last time I grew her out.

2 Likes

This is the second time I’ve heard good things about freeze drying, @Muleskinner was talking about that over here, as well:

Thanks for bringing this up. Getting more interested in this technique.

6 Likes

I don’t really understand the link between the ohm law concept and cannabis ^^ Maybe the translation. I don’t understand the 9gr/watt example also.

But for me, any layer of justification will not change much the concept of this ratio than i consider as biased as fck. To be 100% honest, as totally useless to judge an indoor garden productivity. And i assume also the fact than i’m representing an ultra-minority of hobbyists thinking the same ^^

First, expressing the yield in a watt based-ratio, without including the time factor, is like counting his toes and fingers in loop for me. It’s not for nothing than standarts are based on Kw/hour, and it’s not inherent to the manner to produce nuclear power but for all source of energy.

In this vein, i bring back in the equation twos extrems : a sogger and a scrogger with the same clones and under 1KW (hps or whatever, but what is saying the watt-o-meter and not the marketing : i’m supposed to have 1Kw of neons per sqm, for real it’s 560W). Let’s say than both are starting to grow and don’t know much about strains, their specificities …

The sogger is a bad grower. He output max 7 grammers per clone (you have to want it to be that bad lol) on true sea of green (over 50 specimens per sqm). Usually when you’re bad or/and new to the game, you overgrow to compensate. But the guy is really stupid and stay low : 50 specimens. That’s 350 grammers per batch (a total shame in sog ^^) and per sqm, every twos months. With skills it’s more around the kilogrammer per sqm without being a top notch grower …

And that’s NOT 0.35 grammer per watt productivity, it mean nothing.
That’s 720 hours of 1Kw light for 350 grammers. And this is the true ratio.

The scrogger is equally bad and will need 2 months of veg + 3 months of flo to output around 500 grammers per batch. A pity also, the best scrog lovers i known output that with a single clone and they generally don’t use only one in one sqm.

And that’s not 0.50 grammer per watt productivity, it mean nothing again.
That’s just 2520 hours of 1Kw light for 500 grammers.

Now let me put these twos bad growers aside :

sogger : 350 grammers for 1Kw/h during 720 hours (12/12 * 60 days)
That’s :

• 0.35gr/watt stupid ratio ^^
  • 5.8 grammers per day produced (true productivity)
  • 2.05 Kw/h per gram (true cost in term of lights)

scrogger : 500 grammers for 1Kw/h during 2520 hours (24/0 * 60 days + 12/12 * 90 days).
That’s :

• 0.50 gr/watt stupid ratio ^^ (so this guy is doing well considering the E=Mc² thing ^^)
  • 3.3 grammers per day produced (true productivity)
  • 5.04 Kw/h per gram

It’s just why i hate so much this ratio than is from nowhere :

I known a bunch of talented ( i said talented, not skilled) weed producers with shitty gr/watt ratios than are out of reach for most of next-gen growers in term of indoor productivity AND costs.

I known a wagon of bad growers with high gr/watt ratio than are producing their weed at a higher cost than the blackmarket, for a lower quality.

Not sure the Grapestomper OG helped much to write it lol, but the full explanation is there.

7 Likes

I remember back in the 90s when people like Ed Rosenthal and Jorge Cervantes were trying to get the growing community to understand that grams per watt without any reference of time is a useless metric. I paid attention and did my part to push the grams per watt per month metric, and I remember noticing that a lot of others were doing the same on the forums and such, but apparently it didn’t stick. I still see people talking about grams per watt to this day and bragging about it, only to find out that they vegged for 5 months or some ridiculous shit like that. Grams per square foot is just as meaningless, IMO.

9 Likes

grams/KWh/m^3 would be the ultimate metric, but it’s more difficult to calculate.

7 Likes

When I was SOGging my metric was grams per day per pot then i could truly see what were the better producing strains.
In my system it turned out it was more productive to grow from seed instead of clones too. Except I never did do all the fem seed runs that I should have.

9 Likes

I was being a bit glib, mostly because the point I guess is that all things being equal 300-450 g per ‘square’ foot is a stupid metric.
The simplest way to measure it obviously is by total yield vs Kw hours. That way it makes little difference if you stack them on top of each other or just grow them flat. Inputs vs Outputs will give you the efficiency, which is all this claim is about imho.
Also has anyone tried fitting 450 grams of weed into a even a cubic foot? I am wondering where the air space goes?

I get the drying processes going on here, but what I don’t get is how the chlorophyll is dealt with. Some more research is obviously required here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agree. Still learning about this, mostly anecdotal.

2 Likes

So this is a statement from the one of the VP’s at Yofumo… It was the last sentence that got my interest… Now I am thinking this is just freeze drying with extra voodoo.

“Knowing how to manipulate the environment is paramount to the process,” says VP of Client Applications and Deployment Joe Edwards. “Moving water through the plant is the key. Environmental manipulation is just as important in the post-harvest process as manipulation is in the growing process. Curing is about water and resin—as you move water through the plant, it becomes a transfer vehicle and pushes the resin through the plant to the trichomes.”

2 Likes