50° North Outdoor 2023, which cultivar to grow?

I’m at 50.5 and put a few plants outside last year. i would recommend you autoflowers. With good timing you can grow them indoors a few weeks ahead of time. And then when the weather gets nice at the end of April. The beginning of May Put Them outside. Ready in ±60 days. this means you can do a few harvests in a season outdoors. I have also put regular plants outside with good results but takes longer. Happy growing

1 Like

I think Lolab is a good landrace rabbit hole to go down for you, along with Nepalese or vintage Canadian stuff. There’s a good grow thread here of the ILE Lolab that makes me think I’d personally want to work with a hybrid of it to a modern high potency outdoor strain to jumpstart selection (also I love reading Ngakpa posts):

I will find out. I live in a region with a lot of wine growing going on. And my understanding is the wine farmers today can grow varieties that weren’t able to ripen to end 20 years ago (vegetation periods are lengthening probably due to climate change). My micro climate seems to be generally favorable this far up north.

Same.

1 Like

On paper it looks like this is exactly what I’m looking for. The Green Poison F1 Fast Version looks to tempting not to buy. Thanks for the link. Much appreciated would never have been on my list.

1 Like

I should note that I’m in a 3b zone so you have a much more mild area being 8b.

2 Likes

No problemo, if you’re ordering in the UK hit up @George_The_Vault he’s a longtime Overgrow site sponsor and carries Sweet Seeds among many others:

Here’s some of the posts I’ve seen about them on here, folks who’ve grown them:

That reference to Dinafem’s lab:

Czech guy with a short grow log:

2 Likes

Thanks. I tried 3 different Auto Strains outdoor this year, I found them very low yielding and sensitive to mistakes. If the vegetation period and up planting doesn’t go well you are left with a tiny harvest. I also was growing a Photoperiod Runtz from RQS that was a freebie. I harvested the Runtz mid-october, and there was no amber trichome present. I have to admit all the plants needed more sun but my one Runtz-plant beat 5 Autos regarding yield, effect and taste under sub optimal conditions. But I will definitely run Autos again in 2023.

3 Likes

I was very interested in Nepalese too but it seems to have a longer flowering time.

Great Idea.

1 Like

I had a plant that was loki’s whisper autoflower didn’t get big but very tasty , I think about 50gr came off dry. nice buds. but i understand you.

I had the same problem as you with those regular seeds. i had butrot and no amber tricomes
So I think we should start earlier with those regulars and order special types. suitable for our climate. I’m in Belgium so a lot of rain…

Because I don’t have much money and because it’s for outdoors I order my seeds here.

Check https://nordicgenetics.net and seedheaven
But you probably won’t need to use this because we have such a good forum here that people just help you and send you seeds for free. Best wishes brother

2 Likes

D-man exotic spice all finished end of sept really solid outdoor not the biggest yielder Humbolts lemon kush have some phenos that finsh mid Sept and was better smoke then the later ones both are mold resistant D-man has some other early finisher and does his breeding in Canada

2 Likes

They advertise it with “Massive Production”, can you confirm? The Terpeneprofil looks interesting: image
I got my self Dream Queen from HSC with 45 days flowering time. Its supposed to be their fastest “sativa”.

No it was low yield maybe with a long veg could be better I start mid Feb and move out mid may was expecting them to be tall but nothing over 4.5 ft

1 Like

Early Skunk(sensi, mr nice) Early Pearl
Early Durban
Ealry Maroc
Top44 (not sure about this one)

3 Likes

Thanks man. I’ve grown Sensi Seeds White Skunk 2 or 3 years ago and was very satisfied with the Result (looking back I’m not sure it was really finished).

I keep those in mind. The last time I smoked Durban Poison was probably 25 years ago and I liked it very much.

1 Like

I got my first order out today:

• Texada Timewarp reg (BC-Bud Depot)
  • Green Poison fem (Sweet Seeds)
  • EEP - 75% Erdbeerli reg (Helvetic Seeds)
  • MAC1 fem (Helvetic Seeds)

I didn’t choose the Green Poison F1 because the Original Green Poison seems to have won some competitions and is pretty fast too. The MAC1 is of course not an obvious choice, I’m just curious how far she will get up north, I know she probably can’t be reproduced by seed.
Would have loved me some Cinderella 99 but Brothers Grimm seem to be a bit pricy (FDM Cindy 99 wasn’t in stock at my chosen Seedbank.
I will order some more Seeds another time. I still want to get me a 100 Day Auto and some of the above mentioned Landrace type cultivars. Cindy 99 and Friesland are also still on the list.

4 Likes

Prohibition rears its ugly head again…

1 Like

Nice! I hope you get some Green Poison Fasts that look as good as this guy’s:

2 Likes

The Green Poison Fast sure looks nice but it is to tempting to try the “slow” 7-week Green Poison. I will see how early Flower will kick in.
Here a picture of my Runtz from this year in the the second week of October. I really love the colors and the foul smell of rotten fruit.

If all goes well I hope to remember this thread an tell how it went in a year from now. I also found some NL-Auto seeds (RQS) in my fridge. Now I’m thinking about making seeds (The Texada and the EEP are regular seeds which gives me some pollen). I’m curious if the MAC1 can successfully pollinated with Texada or EEP.

4 Likes

Nice fridge find! If you start planning now maybe you can be ready to throw some sort of makeshift plastic cover or hoop house over your plants for the last month and get those slower ones matured all the way in you’re climate? I see a lot of folks here in North America, up there but even where I am at 43N, using a quick and dirty plastic cover to keep the plants dry and a little warmer at the end of the season for ripening.

1 Like

I was thinking about when to get Autos going. Let’s say we have a 100 day Auto (from seed to harvest). I guess to get the best result we grow it in the 100-day Time frame with the most hours of sun and the the highest UV-Intensity. The Month with the longest days and highest UV-Intensity at 50° are May to August.

At May 1st the day length at 50° north is around 14h 40min, 100 days later around August 10th day length is also around 14h 40min. With that in mind a 100 day Auto should be started around May 1st. An 80 Day Auto should be started 10 days later and so on. Using an other time frame should give you a lower quality product.

5 Likes