50° North Outdoor 2023, which cultivar to grow?

No it was low yield maybe with a long veg could be better I start mid Feb and move out mid may was expecting them to be tall but nothing over 4.5 ft

1 Like

Early Skunk(sensi, mr nice) Early Pearl
Early Durban
Ealry Maroc
Top44 (not sure about this one)

3 Likes

Thanks man. I’ve grown Sensi Seeds White Skunk 2 or 3 years ago and was very satisfied with the Result (looking back I’m not sure it was really finished).

I keep those in mind. The last time I smoked Durban Poison was probably 25 years ago and I liked it very much.

1 Like

I got my first order out today:

• Texada Timewarp reg (BC-Bud Depot)
  • Green Poison fem (Sweet Seeds)
  • EEP - 75% Erdbeerli reg (Helvetic Seeds)
  • MAC1 fem (Helvetic Seeds)

I didn’t choose the Green Poison F1 because the Original Green Poison seems to have won some competitions and is pretty fast too. The MAC1 is of course not an obvious choice, I’m just curious how far she will get up north, I know she probably can’t be reproduced by seed.
Would have loved me some Cinderella 99 but Brothers Grimm seem to be a bit pricy (FDM Cindy 99 wasn’t in stock at my chosen Seedbank.
I will order some more Seeds another time. I still want to get me a 100 Day Auto and some of the above mentioned Landrace type cultivars. Cindy 99 and Friesland are also still on the list.

4 Likes

Prohibition rears its ugly head again…

1 Like

Nice! I hope you get some Green Poison Fasts that look as good as this guy’s:

2 Likes

The Green Poison Fast sure looks nice but it is to tempting to try the “slow” 7-week Green Poison. I will see how early Flower will kick in.
Here a picture of my Runtz from this year in the the second week of October. I really love the colors and the foul smell of rotten fruit.

If all goes well I hope to remember this thread an tell how it went in a year from now. I also found some NL-Auto seeds (RQS) in my fridge. Now I’m thinking about making seeds (The Texada and the EEP are regular seeds which gives me some pollen). I’m curious if the MAC1 can successfully pollinated with Texada or EEP.

4 Likes

Nice fridge find! If you start planning now maybe you can be ready to throw some sort of makeshift plastic cover or hoop house over your plants for the last month and get those slower ones matured all the way in you’re climate? I see a lot of folks here in North America, up there but even where I am at 43N, using a quick and dirty plastic cover to keep the plants dry and a little warmer at the end of the season for ripening.

1 Like

I was thinking about when to get Autos going. Let’s say we have a 100 day Auto (from seed to harvest). I guess to get the best result we grow it in the 100-day Time frame with the most hours of sun and the the highest UV-Intensity. The Month with the longest days and highest UV-Intensity at 50° are May to August.

At May 1st the day length at 50° north is around 14h 40min, 100 days later around August 10th day length is also around 14h 40min. With that in mind a 100 day Auto should be started around May 1st. An 80 Day Auto should be started 10 days later and so on. Using an other time frame should give you a lower quality product.

5 Likes

Real gorilla seeds is a uk breeder who work essentially outdoor plants for humide climates like UK

I had good experience with their guerilla gold outdoor. Same latitude, rainy days since October. Cut end October max.

All the best

6 Likes

I use them for beans aswell, im Lat 55 uk and although my plants never finish properly because of the way my house blocks the sun at the end of the season, i have never had mold. Ive got some pics on my Latt 55 thread on outdoor growers :+1: . Peace.

2 Likes

@scotchlock and other Northerners, check out this one I came across last night:

“Bald Monkey Seeds- Ursa Major V2

Nepal x Afghan

Sativa/Inidica – 50/50%

“Old” Danish nepal highland sativa female crossed with a mostly purple afghan hashplant.

Indoor/outdoor flowering: 8-10 weeks.

Good for northern climates. Made at Lat. 55.

Hash a spicy/Hashy taste and smell. Good mold resistance!”

€15/pack at Seedheaven

4 Likes

Thanks Dirt Wizard, those look the bomb and perfect for lat 55, only thing is it doesnt say how many beans you get, regs. autos, fems etc . Bald Monkey Seeds are also on Bald Monkey Seeds Arkiv - Nordic Genetics I think 10 beans cost around £17.00 if ive calculated it propperly, which is great value. Thankyou.

1 Like

Cool. Quick flowering Nepal sativas 60 days sounds good. Origin from Reeferman as i think. And still avalavle from Tropical seeds co. :+1:

5 Likes

This is an interesting thread and a good read thru.
Lots of good suggestions here.
I used to guerilla grow between the 49th and 50th but most of those strains aren’t really around anymore. I would be “very” leary about anything from BCbud depot , I recommend avoiding that place as friends have been nothing but disappointed. Legit Timewarp seeds are pretty hard to come by these days and a trusted few breeders offer crosses with the legit timewarp line. Jordan of the Islands, Kootenay if he is still around and there are a few more.
Best look to Hemp Depot if you want a legit well known canadian seedbank. Heck members on this site will have better timewarp x seeds than most seedbanks I bet.
Check in the seed trading thread and make a post?
I’m now at 52 N /3000ft elevation in BC’s interior. There was a thriving guerilla grow community here before the grey market dispensaries and then later legalization killed the value of outdoor flower. Here the first frosts come in the second week of september so it’s pretty tough to find stuff to grow outside here. The local clones that folks grew were Landcruiser , Tea Cup, Lemon Hashplant and Viper. I have no idea on the history or make up of these outdoor clones but I know guys here used to put them out by the thousands in the clear cut logging blocks and the plants were being harvested right before hunting season opens in september. Sadly these strains will become extinct as the demand for them by growers declines.

These days I grow by light dep and flower 10 week strains no problem as long as I maintain the environment somewhat and harvest can be stretched to mid october if I run heaters. Ideally though I want them done by end of september.
I started working with NL5 x Tom Hill’s Deep Chunk several years ago and my goal is to breed it to acclimate to my needs so i can grow it without having to light dep.
I was also gifted pure Friesland IBL that I will start this spring outside the greenhouse. I was gifted enough seed to start working the Friesland and do some cool crosses.
Light depping plants can be a lot of work and would be nice to have some plants that will finish properly on thier own.
All that said, there were quite a few strains born and bred at the 49 in British Columbia going back decades… some say all the way back to the 50’s. So there must be some of those strains or thier relatives that will also finish properly at 50N depending on elevation.

9 Likes

Man, am I ever going to be bugging you in the future :rofl:

4 Likes

This is a different Nepalese collection, it is a famous Danish strain:

“Ursa Major is a cross between 2 nepali landraces collected and crossbred by a danish aidworker through 30 years in denmark.”

Bald Monkey Seeds is Bald Man Lala, who is one of Derg Corra Collective, Danish or Norwegian guys like his mentor Esbe of Hybrids From Hell who have been working old heirlooms and landraces for a very long time:

“Bald Man Lala started with his first seed back in the late 70’, with a handfull of seeds he got from his school teacher. After growing and making seeds for his own use he started to pass around his seeds to a small group of danish growers. They liked what they got and told him to continue to breed good outdoor plants…And so he did. After several years he met his mentor Esbe from Hybrids From Hell and started to work together with Esbe on a few projects. Later on he started to produce indoor seeds for him self and for HFH Seeds, and have been doing it since. Today BML is part of several collectives (Bald Monkey Seeds, Derg Corra Seeds and HFH seeds), but at the same time hes running his own line too (Bald Man Lala Seeds), producing in- and outdoor seeds.“

4 Likes

The work of Esbe, who is still active over there I think, thank you @Roms for the link:

4 Likes

Thank for info mr. @Dirt_Wizard
purple thyphoon another rare which i’m aiming for. There was one guy ho has PT seeds in stash, he was post only one message on OG and go out somewhere.
I checked many on icmag who grew it, they have not visited for a long time.

1 Like

Not purple but here is the seeds for original

Also some Bald Monkey and Derg Corra threads:

5 Likes