5x5 grow. Open discussion

So I’ve always tried to keep my 5x5 to around 5 plants and break out the trellis net when I start training. I’ve seen a lot of tents lately with quite a few more than 5 plants in a seemingly 5x5 tent. Should I increase the quantity in the 5x5?

13 Likes

Personally I was going to run an upwards of ten when I put up my 5x5. My 4x8 can hold a shit ton.

5 Likes

I can easily run 15-20 in a 4x4 in 3 gallons, 12-15 in 4 gallons, my 4x8 I normally run 20-30, it all depends on what you want. You can make 1 plant fill a 5x5 or 20 plants but much smaller, I prefer looking through as many strains/phenos as possible so that’s why I love it this way . But some are trying to utilize as few beans as possible so they will throw down one fem per run.

15 Likes

Nice write up on that bud.

4 Likes

Very cool, I can def appreciate larger numbers with respect to phenos. This run is with reg beans, so I plan on cloning each and chopping or separating any males and running a separate tent. I feel like running 5 maybe lower the yield compared the 15-20 smaller plants, but the canopy fills pretty quick with training, so I couldn’t imagine how full it’d be with 15-20 in that small of an area… was planning on adding a 5x10 to run a larger crop with clones from the moms

1 Like

This strain is G-rind. Stoked to see which phenos have the strongest lemon G traits. Might stick with this strain for a bit but have some other strong genetics I want to get running. A larger tent may help me run multiple genetics at once and/or work on some crosses at some point

2 Likes

Depends on veg times and what kind of stretch youre expecting, 5 is on the lower side for sure.

I ran a 9 site rdwc in a 5x5 for a few years for headstash with great results. 3 weeks veg and I couldn’t see an inch of floor at harvest haha.

A few times I went with 25 5 gallons in dirt, very little veg time. it was crowded but worked just fine :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I currently have 10 7 gal pots in my 5x5. Once I pull out the last one from the last flower run I plan to change to smaller drip pans and shove 2 or 3 more in for ~12. I can get away with this in the winter, but I the summer it’s 6ish at the most. I use blumats for watering when I’m on the ball, makes it much easier for watering.

4 Likes

I have always done 1 plant per square foot, maximize your yields this way

1 Like

It depends on the goal of the grow / amount of veg time. 5x5 could be too small for one plant.
If your going for quality smoke I wouldn’t recommend anything smaller than 3 gallon pots. That pretty much takes up one square foot each.
gotta link to that fancy pot system your using ?

I can fit 9 in comfortably occasionally 12 but
I like to leave some space for me now, I’m growing 6 in around half of it.

They’ve still to fill out,
1 week vegging for clones, seeds get flipped after 5/10 day’s of growth @24hrs.

4 Likes

What are you growing in to achieve that?

1 Like

1 gal for coco and 3 gal for soil, unless you’re dealing with plant limits it’s a massive waste of time/resources to go bigger than that, I’m sure plenty will disagree though

3 Likes

I feel like it’s all preference
I grow 4 plants in a 5x5 now
I started with 9 :joy:

4 Likes

Do you train the 4… curious is yield discrepancies… I’ve never thought 9+ was reasonable light/space restrictions, but I feel like the verdict is out and I am wrong haha

3 Likes

Just packed the 5x5
5x black sour bubble
1x black widow
1x fruity pebbles og #2
1x blackout Bobby my cut
1x Halle Berry
1x blockberry
All in 7 gal pots.

1x romulan bikers cut
1x green crack
1x Vintage BB x BBM
All in 2.5 gal pots

8 Likes

I think it was 14 in total, I was more enthusiastic about it then, trapped nerves makes maintenance difficult going.

I’ve been meaning to cut back to 4 big ones tied and trained but you know what it’s like :relaxed:

9 Likes

My 5 x 5 I try to do 5 myself but I’m adding some autos to it these plants are the shortest ones I’ve ever had other than autos. But damn if they don’t stink.

these are in 7 gallon pots I did run 4 in 7 gallon pots in a 4x2 and pulled more weight than my 5x with hlg scorpion rspec. I got a migro array4 for the 4x2 and that light puts the weight on them very gentle light and can keep 6 inches from top colas ![image|375x

8 Likes

Ok, so I swooped the HLG scorpion Diablo x to move on from HPS. He was confident I could pull 2-3 from the 5x5 with this system… def loving the light, but that figure seemed steep. They’ve def popped in a healthy manner, but the 5 I’m working with seems like a stretch for 2-3 from what I’ve seen in the past… idk always learning, but coming from historical looking at HPS as the gold standard then looking at LED at its current state I guess anything is possible haha

4 Likes

Sounds great …I love Lemon G!
But haven’t heard who has a legit one… looking forward to seeing your grow, thanks for sharing your journey

3 Likes