80's Seed Questions

Hello

I need some much needed help , I just had a call from a buddy who told me when he would smoke he would put the bag seed tucked away back in the 80’s , I asked him what the strains were of he remembered and he told me 1 was Maui Wowie and others.??

I asked him what he wanted for the seeds and he told me he wanted to give me the seeds so are these 80s seeds worth anything?

He also explained he kept certain seeds apart because the bud back then was better so he kept them seeds separate/

I would like to look close and have a Auction here and donate a percentage to the site OG if 2 things happen , 1st I get the ok from OG and 2 is enough member Interest to hold the auction , he has multiple seeds…

I need help with any type of seed auction or seed run’s…

A Major snow storm is about to hit the east coast so I would have to travel to see him within the first few days next week…

9 Likes

organize a seed run bud.

3 Likes

Ok He just told me a few he remembered he put aside in 2 separate butter dishes

Jamaican Red Hair and some Black african and Northern lights my buddy is 73 yrs old, he told me he has seeds going back to 71, IS THAT even possible for the seeds kept cold to be strong enough to geminate?

10 Likes

I Love northern lights , great landrace is good to do BX and whatever cross.
This others i never try to smoke.
But appears to be good.
See how much seeds they got, and talk to @LemonadeJoe and organize a seed RUN.
Will be a great event

Respond your answer , yes , they need to back to normal temperate calm down in a regular way.
In other way don’t germinate

Only way to find out if they are good is to try them!

3 Likes

This dude has everything mint boxed 3 original orange county chopper bikes lol

1 Like

I have seeds that germ from the late 70s in the fridge. A user here bread them with something special specifically for this region, as they are from a pnw farm. And now we have a killer plant that should grow upwards of 15 feet and be very cold and mold resistant.

7 Likes

The seeds from the 70s have an 80% germ rate. And are all from a farm here. Also the same strain. Localized and farmed for a long time.

3 Likes

I’ve germinated seeds that were from the 70’s as well, some Panama Red :drooling_face:

2 Likes

I germinated seeds from 98 and thriving right now… Anyone Interested here is exactly what he sent me and told me .

Seeds in bowl - mystery strains ( maui wowei / NorthernLights / Jamaican Red Hair and some Black African ) Year - 80’s

These in this small candy dish was explained the better seeds? I asked , he explained he saved them from better bud / strain = he replied Acapulco Gold .

These were explained he purchased 2 ounces of Thai pepper from military buddy he saved these seeds in the 2nd candy dish…

I Cannot Factually trace the Landrace of these seeds, this disabled man was a fireman for 40 years and a vet , his trust in gifting me these are a true sign of trust and friendship .

I will be picking them up Monday and will be asking Mr. LJ if we can hold an auction or fund raiser for the sites Servers to help defray the cost each month.

11 Likes

Lovely seeds.
You count the seeds?

1 Like

He told me they have been in a sealed container , he just poured them into the glass to take a pic I requested when he told me he had seeds lol

I would be happy and blessed with what ever strain and sex that germinated,
Jems straight up…

4 Likes

Good bud.
Good lucky with them. I love them.

1 Like

Those are old and might not germinate. But if they did…. Damn that would be some fun grows to watch.

Back in the 80s, I think most of the strain names we kids knew were only what we heard in Cheech and Chong movies. Mau Wowie, Michoacán…
I do remember stealing from my friends dads bag (1982?) He said it was Acapulco Gold. He also had Thai sticks once. We lifted a lot of weed from him. :joy:

4 Likes

I have not one regret offering these beans to those who risk the odds, I did and now have 2 nice gals in the tent lol

I could have picked them up and hoarded them until they rots away or share what I was gifted…

4 Likes

if i would be you, i mean i think you try to find an owner that really cares for them.

If i were you, i would say, its more important to make out WHO is this trustful grower.
These extra couple bucks that go to the Overgrow team, thats probably not as important than finding a good Owner, who reproduces them propperly.

I mean, he mentioned “Black African” . Black african is probably a very distinct Line, and may stand out among the Maui Waui , and the Northern Lights , and Jamaican red hair. Plus i see very distinguishable Seedcharaktereistics (big, small, black)

Its probably possible to distinguis them.

Bud i dont wanna interrupt your plans.
Some sdds look like reasonably to very good genetics probably.
There are a couple guys here that are preservers of landrace, and trustful.

4 Likes

Some interesting genetics sitting in that container!

If it was me I’d start 30-50 of them seeds and separate into phenotypes…see what’s what…With those genetics you spoke of should be relatively easy to do that as will look completely different.

Only issue would be low germination rates as I’m guessing they weren’t kept in ideal conditions(cold storage)

Some pretty cool old school genetics!! The NL could be pure gold depending…

Alaskagrown

7 Likes

yeah, often roomtemperature stored 40 year old seeds, that will be low germination rate, thats what i most often heard.
BUT it depends, i heard of some cases when the Room conditions were right that they found very old viable seeds.

You need to do H2o2 Soak , and use Gibberlic acid. I would definitly make use of those Tools.

2 Likes

100% yes. My older friend gave me seeds he had in his freezer since 1974 and they all germinated just fine…

10 Likes