A Basic Guide to Autoflowers

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Need to know how much light to run autos on

Should comment that i have now hit have hit around the 15g per 150ml range now

7 Likes

I’ve been hearing about these “Super Autos” for years and haven’t seen any or been able to find any online; “super auto marijuana seeds” isn’t a very good set of search terms, unfortunately. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? Is there a list somewhere or a breeder that specializes in them?

All the genes in an “R1” would be the exact same as an “F1”, so it’s still an F1, as much as any multi-polyhybrid is. I usually mark mine F1-fem or F1-reg for my notes.

5 Likes

heres a brooklyn sunrise and a blue dream auto in a 1.5 gal container under 10 leds with lenses cut off…gonna chop in 2 werks or less

9 Likes

Hi,

Auto flower seeds are usually listed as ‘indoor and outdoor’.
When I look info on strains I usually see only one ‘height’ listed. many 1.0m tall, some 1.4m (nearly 5 ft) tall. Should I assume this is outdoor height or indoor height ?!?

As I understand … pot size and lights play a major role in AF size

I guess I am correct in assuming that IF the listed height IS indoor height … that would be the upper end of size? Meaning large pot and plenty of light.

I have a spot for autos but height is an issue … with pots (~30cm 1ft) and lights and gap between plant and light ( ~30cm 1ft)… 1.00m or 3 1/3 ft should be available without tricks … As there are many autos that LIST their potential size as over 1.00m … (so total of 1.6m or 5 1/3 ft to be used for this)
Should I ..
A) assume that plant grown indoor are bound to be smaller and ~1.00m or 3 1/3 ft should work fine?
B) accept that some plants might grow too big and plan to limit the size (and yield) by using bit smaller pots to limit plant size (or alternatively use lights that promote less stretch if such light solution can be found).
C) play it safe and try to work out how to increase the available grow area to accommodate bigger plants (No free lunch on this department… allocating more space will ‘cost’ in other ways/ in other areas.

Thanks for reading and taking time to advice! Ciao!

2 Likes

You can keep autos short by using small pots. They tend to stop vertical growth once they hit the pot. That’s one of the reasons it is suggested to plant in the final container.

This thread is a great example of growing autos in small spaces:

9 Likes

I have had to break and flop some tops over on my white widow autos. They grew way too tall way too fast. In my limited experience with autos (2 runs so far), they respond just as well to training, supercropping, and topping as photoperiod plants.

If height is a concern, I would top at 5th node, and tie branches down if it becomes an issue. Also using a cooler light spectrum may make them grow a little shorter.

Post some pics when you get going!

3 Likes

My outdoor autos grew to 3 feet this summer in 3 gallon pots

3 Likes

This is also another good point. Your container will play a major roll in plant size. I like air pots and the like. My autos have always filled my space nicely in them, very comparable to my photos on a 60 day veg. I use 4 galons of coco/perlite and EWC per 5 gal air pot. Plants are normally 4’+

4 Likes

The more I have read about auto related threads… the more I have come to the conclusion that … once I get an understanding of auto height in INDOORS… I will go with option C) and try to max the grow space so it will work for 90% of auto races (still trying to locate medical strains that work). 95% of all auto races would be my ‘very good result’

and use pot etc as limiting factor ONLY as last resort as they do seem to reduce yield quite a bit.

Considering indoor, no co2, 600w/m2 or 50w/sqft light. large enough pot so 20L upto 30L or 4gal upto 6 gal. should be enough… best light/dark regime available … whatever that might be… free growing so no spreading, no LST, no topping, no HST…

I am guessing … for setup desc above…
60% of all autos would be max 3 1/2 ft or 100cm tall
85% of all autos would be max 4 ft tall or 120cm
95% of all autos would be max 5 ft tall or 150cm

with co2 and 1000w/m2 or 90w/sqft … I guess max 20% to plant height?

pleas correct me if you feel I am way off in my estimates… I guess I have to write to seed companies and ask about few specific Auto strains to get a grip on advert. info and how it relates to indoor growing.

1 Like

I don’t think so… I believe the Sativas would stretch more than Indicas

1 Like

plant size if everything else is consistent is down to the genetics.

What i have found in my mild experience is the “Outdoor” auto’s are typically just longer flowering autos such as 10+week plants, so because of that extra time they have the ability to get bigger due to the longer time span of them.

In comparison your “Indoor” autos typically have shorter flowering times, so say on a 8-9 week strain come week 4-5 you more or less know how big the plant will be where as the “outdoor” will still have an extra couple weeks to throw out some growth.

Thats where pot size limitation and training techniques come in.

Really you won’t know till you run your chosen plants, and there i guess is two thoughts to it IMO, either give the plants enough space where they can spread out and they aren’t fighting with there neighbors for light and you can flop a top or two if needed to keep a level canopy, Or let them run more condensed, but be caught up on your training techniques as their height will be more dictated by how much they fight each other for the light your giving them.

As unless on the outer ends of the ranges, the plants can be tall or short depending solely on light levels and how much they need to fight with the other plants around them for that light.

Or that has just been my observation…

its always playing that game of whats the most limiting factor

10 Likes

yes… genetic matter naturally… but…

it is my understanding that same autos grow much bigger outdoors… due to getting plenty of sun in ideal latitudes

Yes… this is indeed the game of what is the limiting factor.

The potsize and light I listed will not match ideal outdoor environment… 100cm or 3 feet deep 40 Gal or 150L container for each plant is not doable (for me) indoors… What I listed are (afaik) close enough to optimal…

Now I am trying to figure out how much space (height) should be reserved so that height will not be limiting factor.

I contacted couple of seed banks. That got me nowhere fast. Not even info on what environment they base the range for their plants.

I guess I will have to figure out the max height I can allocate to autos … this will cost me fairly dearly … but too low space would be constant source of aggravation and yield loss. I was kinda hoping to find out more clear cut answer to autos height(s).

maybe I should have asked what is the tallest auto you have seen in person indoors WITHOUT co2 and WITH co2 ? extra brownie points if you can tell me some key info about that setup. how much w/sqft in veg and in flower. how would you characterize the spectrum used. what light cycle etc…

4 Likes

There are a few auto strains I’d really like to try. I’d like to try running a round of one and making some fem seeds as well to have around. If I use STS or something and pollinate one with itself (or one from the same pack) will the offspring be more or less identical to the original seeds?

Also, does a plant used for seed need the same conditions as one for consumption? I’d want to run the seeder in a closet or something far away from my room, so I would probably use compact fluorescents or something small for lighting.

4 Likes

I think the general recommendation is to rather pollinate another female than pollinate the same plant.

I think the only two gategories to consider are 1) polinate the plant with its own pollen. 2) pollinate the plant with pollen from another plant. No special attention is needed in regards of ‘from same pack of seeds’

Conditions needed for bud and seeds are very similar. Odor, light, feeding. Experts can tweek these a bit but same condition are ok. very little light means smaller plant and maby less quality seeds (no report on quality and light… just my informed guesswork.

hope this is of some help

1 Like

I’ve read on other forums about a guy that self pollinated a female diesel ryder and sprouted those seeds. He had 0 hermies but, had like 2 runts out of 10 seeds if I remember correctly. I don’t know if selfing was the problem.
I have thought about selfing autoflowers, but most pollen chuckers on forums complain about how hard it is to keep them alive and/or turn them succsessfully.
Also, regular auto seeds are hard to come by, and those that I could find online were old dwarf strains that don’t do very well, especially with inexpierenced growers like me…

Autoflowers would be perfect for an outdoor in my area, I’m tired of waking up in the morning to move the pots from dark to light… :weary:

Cheers !

1 Like

Interesting stuff, thanks! I’ve never made seeds before but have read lots about it, but autos are a whole different animal.

@enomuumi, why not pollinate to itself? I thought this was a common practice? Should the seeds in a pack be so consistent that it wouldn’t matter?

The reason I ask is because the auto strain i like comes in packs of 5. My room holds 4 plants so I figure I could knock the remaining one up with itself elsewhere.

1 Like

You can do either or, also could target pollinate a couple of bud sites on all the plants if need be.
My experience is that self made seed “through use of CS” pollinating the same plant say seperate branches, once pollen is produced you tend to be later along in flower than you may preferably like for seed production as it takes a bit of extra time to do so, thus why most people pollinate other plants instead as you can run out the tobe-reversed plant 2-3week ahead of the other plants.

As for the seeds that come from that, if selfed they are like the original plant, but if intermixed in your seed pack and they aren’t quite a few generations deep you will get variability as my experience is not much of what you get out there has been stabilized up to a point where its basically a “classic style IBL” where every seed produces the same plant. My experience with say my Dark Devils, is that the original pack had some variability, but now in f2’s you can see the divergence of traits in definite groups, like i have a green pheno that expresses in partial % from originally purple plants.

9 Likes

Thanks, I was hoping you’d chime in I get the impression you know what you’re doing!

When you say variability in the f2s, do you mean major differences, or just less consistent than the original? I don’t think I’ll bother if I’ll end up with a bunch of freaks that are unpredictable lol

1 Like

Well that’s most of the fun, seeing what comes out of it and not necessarily freaks, as that totally depends on how you breed them and the starting genetics. If you select plants with traits that favor you and your grow environment it should just get better in time.

As for difference, they are noticeable and not in really a minor or major way, but say they do vary in bud structure, growth patterns, color expression enough that there is distinct differences but thats in subsequent generations.

8 Likes