A Rose by Any Other Name

So I had a random thought… it seems reasonable that there is some weird random strain that smells of roses. I don’t know why, but I wanted it. I don’t actually care for the smell even! I just love the novelty. Imagined planting them in the yard and people expecting it to be skunk but instead roses!

Anyone ever have some interesting scented and non skunky? Honestly just talking smells here, doesn’t have to taste good or be a decent smoke. Just novelty.

Also random question I’ve had but haven’t been able to research effectively… Does anyone know plants with high terpene yields, that could be extracted at home to make (more or less) pure terpenes? I sometimes get cravings for certain tastes of strains, but I don’t want to burn any of my stash just to taste. Also super flavor saturated bud? Sounds fucking amazing if it’s the right ones.

4 Likes

Wish you best of luck, I think interesting idea as well lol. With legalization happening all over, novelty/decorative strains will appear more. With the thousands of different possible terpene combos, for sure so where some time it will come up. just if someone saves/breeds for it is another thing.

4 Likes

Some of the higher terpene content samples from various growers as tested by a local state certified lab (the most part, the strain names are recognizable):

Grower Strain_Name Max_Terpenes
Cannabeth Gogi OG x Gorilla Glue 5.03%
MX Industries Sour Diesel Batch 2 4.34%
Gorilla Glue #4 4.22%
JAG False Teeth 4.08%
MX Industries GG4 3.95%
Holy Smoke Cherry Pie 3.9%
Farmer Sko Elmer’s Glue 3.84%
Tree Sap Concentrates Roadkill Skunk by Garlic Fam Farms 3.83%
Rob Pink Panther 3.77%
Ziddey Sour Power 3.71%
Rogues Island Genetics AP #1 3.71%
Mass Medical Strains Prayer Glue 3 3.65%
Client 17-0060 Ancient OG 3.65%
Farmer Sko The Guice 3.64%
Client 18-0485 GG4 3.59%
Valley Roots Cannabis Dr. Leveque 3.58%
Mass Medical Strains Prayer Glue 1 3.55%
Today’s Healthcare Citradelic Sunset #1 3.48%
Client 18-0485 Lemon Cake 3.45%
Dandy Sarah Farm Mission 3.42%
Client 18-0559 Green Crack 3.41%
KosherSoma#2 3.34%
MX Industries GG4 3.23%
KosherSoma 2 3.19%
DaVinCHI’s Organics Sinfully Sour Sage 3.17%
Client 18-0580 707 Headband 3.17%
Mass Medical Strains Praying Mantis 2 3.14%
Mass Medical Strains Praying Mantis 2 3.14%
Mass Medical Strains Deadly Sativa 1 3.09%
Client 17-0060 Sour Diesel 3.09%
Gassachusetts413 Monkey Mint 1 3.09%
The Irie Lion Lemon Pie 3.09%
Twisted Dreams Radio Monster Bud Super Hash by Monster Bud 3.06%
Reusch Creek Farm Sample 1 3.03%
Cannabis Allstars Flower #17 Purple Chem by RI’s Finest 3.01%
The Irie Lion Headband 3.01%
Homegrown Kosher Tangie by DNA Genetics 2.96%
Mass Medical Strains Mr. E Pupil #6 2.95%
Mass Cultivators Moonshine Haze 2.92%
NE Farmers CJ #1 2.92%
Client 17-0060 Sour Diesel 2.89%
Starberry 2.87%
Twisted Dreams Radio Florida Black Knight by Terp Trappers 2.87%
Teaming with Terps Flaming Cookies 2.86%
Gassachusetts413 Monkey Mint 3 2.86%
Alwaysgreen Cannatonic 2.86%
Dobbs Dabbs Buddha Tahoe 2.84%
Gassachusetts413 Peanut Butter Trap 1 2.83%
Cannabis Crew GG #4 HPS 2.8%
Mass Medical Strains Prayer Glue 2 2.79%
Plymouth County Growers Pilgrims Punch #1 2.79%
Client 19-0198 Flower 2.78%
Mass Cannabis Consulting Strawberry Fields # 10 by Crockett Family Farms 2.77%
Health Reasons Gorilla Glue #4 2.76%
Don’t Kill My Dab False Teeth 5 2.75%
Mass Medical Strains Praying Mantis 1 2.74%
Krok Gorilla Glue #4 2.74%
Boscanna Hawaiian Vacation 2.73%
Client 17-0317 Chernobyl 2.71%
Client 17-0060 Grease Monkey 2.7%
7 Likes

I was thinking plants other than cannabis actually, but I do like the looks of those first two… ideally one could just make any strain high in terps but I think that’s probably asking the impossible.

Well, naturally my mind drifts :smile:

3 Likes

You know there are terpene kits that flavor concentrates for vapes. They are usually specific terpenes distilled from other plants and then blended to make a profile.
My local head shop carries the line from East Coast Terpenes, I’ve used them for dabs and distillates for vape carts, you’ll use less just for flavor.

1 Like

For sure, but I’m all about self reliance when I can be. So I seek a DIY approach. Thought this might be the best place to ask short of a botanist convention.

1 Like

Ah, well growing a terpene garden is new lol. Extraction like distillation or solvent?

Well, could be for many applications. Some product is cured, some is extracted. My sister is into aroma therapy with rose petals, or whatever, she’d probably like a cured product, but I would probably do an extraction for use for… whatever I find use for really lol. For me, I’ll get some high THC strain that tastes mild, would be cool to add terpenes to make it kind of a different strain every time when you’ve got enough to chose from.

Also; I am part of a MMJ group who would love the idea, and are very familiar with home extractions. I get tons of edible recipes. It’s mostly older patients who may or may not grow. So always like to keep it simple. Ethanol extractions would probably be damn near second nature to the seasoned members.

1 Like

The Sugar Black Rose from Delicious Seeds that I grew smelled strongly rose.

The Sinai from Real Seed Co. is also supposed to have Rose scents. I have not grown that one out yet.

3 Likes

Nice! I’ll have to keep an eye out, I’m in no hurry to grow them, lol. Definitely will have to get some, my mom and sister both like rose flavor. Don’t understand it myself, but I wouldn’t mind crossing it with a decent strain to give them a special reserve.

Well, I don’t know, how was the product from you grew? They’re lightweights so honestly it just occurred to be potency isn’t an issue for them.

Edit: just started looking into the Black Sugar Rose, holy crap does that sound perfect. I just figured out the first seeds I’m buying.

1 Like

It should be a good strain for them. I remember it being nice and relaxing but not overpowering. I was truly amazed by the smell, and would often smell it during flower just to smell the unique rose smell.

Here is how Delicious describes the smoke: The effect of Sugar Black Rose (DS27) is instantaneous and very longlasting. Almost narcotic, it’ll soon put you in a deeply relaxed state. Very suitable for medicinal usage and for indica lovers in general as it also causes mild cerebral stimulation. .

1 Like

I’ll be honest, it’s so perfect I’m going to gauge their interest and if they are interested it’ll be in the next grow. Knew the when I read their listing and read that description, lol. Too perfect to wait.

1 Like

Delicious has some amazing pictures of the Sugar Black Rose in their IG thread too.

1 Like

Around 2010 I Had some bud out of the redding, Cali area called rose kush, literally smelled like rose petals… Haven’t had it since but it was very nice…

3 Likes

“ Rose Kush is the parent of several popular hybrids, but by itself it’s anything but common. Indeed, the THC content alone, topping 21% in some tests, is enough to set this sativa-dominant strain apart. That chemical intensity means a potent head high with limited cerebral effects; it’s clear-headed and energized, with a strong tingling sensation. This makes Rose Kush a good source of medication for migraine headaches, muscle spasms, physical pain, insomnia, and daily stress. CBD levels, meanwhile, are very low, less than 1%, and that’s too low to recommend this strain for patients who want to treat seizures or other medical problems that require CBD. Rose Kush smells like diesel fuel, with floral, sweet, and skunky notes, while the flavor is herbal and woody. This strain is coated in a thick layer of crystal trichomes, a promise of the potency that lies within. There’s little available data on adverse effects, but red eyes and cottonmouth are probably the most likely. This strain sells in limited parts of California, notably in San Diego, but elsewhere in America it’s fairly rare.”

Sound about right? Sounds more up my alley, I go for sativas except at night, but ironically I hate the taste of rose- don’t mind the smell so much. I’ll have to do some looking on this strain too. Damn, two good answers and I haven’t even had my coffee. This would be damn near impossible for me without OG, what a time to live in.

2 Likes

my strawberry malawi smells just like lemon pledge. no skunkyness whats so ever. the smoke is lemony/ piney. good stuff!

3 Likes

Yup that sounds like it

2 Likes

Both those rose strains sound like something to have around for aroma alone! That’s it, now I need to add a flower line up, next to the fruit lineup :laughing: I at least have a start with the lavender F2.

2 Likes

I would really like to have that rose kush around… been looking for it ever since…

1 Like