A Shadey spot to paint

Christmas is coming and I usually paint a couple of Tshirts for family members as prezzys. I haven’t picked up my airbrushes in a year due to my injury causing a steady degradation of my muscle motor skills, making things very frustrating.

So this year I am starting with a 16x20 canvass as bigger is easier, and a portrait. See if you can guess who it is. This will be a step by step walk through of how I like to work. I prefer to work dark to light, so my canvass has been prepped in black. I am using auto air colours which are semi transparent and transparent. Using transparent paints allows you to build your shades and colours gradually, this is going to be black and white as I don’t want to mix complicated skin tones atm and just be able to focus on getting my control back.

The reference might help lol, but its out of focus, due to my hand shaking. I printed out a pic, which I am using as a stencil. It makes the job faster, I could draw it out by hand, but I only have about 4 weeks before I have to start another. So this is the speedy way. Its kind of like painting by numbers but without the numbers :joy:

So I have my print out and I am removing all the light areas of the pic, with an exacto knife, to line up the important bits, eyes, nose and mouth. Once these are in place I will just free hand from there. This is where my favourite game of spot the difference starts between my pic and reference, usually after a smoke. One needs good visual skills to see different subtleties in shade and colour and understand how they affect each other.

45 Likes

8 Likes

10 Likes

No he is Afro American lol.

Just done some filling in might give you more idea.

27 Likes

8 Likes

Snoop Dogg? :dizzy_face:

11 Likes

Its snoop!

Looks amazing you are multi talented my friend!

6 Likes

DING DING

10 Likes

i LIKE THIS ONE

7 Likes

Yep George got it A stoned Snoop Dog.

Here’s my reference.

Here’s how its looking so far. Just roughing in atm with my mid tones, which allows me to go up and down light and dark, just keeping blending the shades until its right.

32 Likes

Wow! You definitely have some talent, they’re very well done.

6 Likes

I think Shadey is BigFoot

10 Likes

Thanks guys, I try.

I love Snoop dog his eyes are so expressive, I hope I can capture the happy smiley eyes.

I am Bigfeet their little brother :joy:

A bit more done. Lightening up the nose area and around the eyes and jaw, put the irises in his eyes obviously :rolling_eyes: not exactly where they will go but just a reference point. Starting to take shape now.

13 Likes

nice work @shadey. good to see your back at it.

1 Like

I hope you make his eyes with color to so the red LOL
Nice Job Brother

1 Like

:bellhop:

Might I suggest this as excellent fundraising opportunity for OG?

:blush:

:evergreen_tree: looking for my whip

4 Likes

No, it’s not whip it’s a WIP, lol painting joke.

Work In Progress.

Maybe in the new year I have another 2 to do after this one.

6 Likes

Bit more done, blending in my mid tones and filling areas, roughing out the nose more. Left eye and nostril is out of shape and the laughter crease on the right is too low.

18 Likes

Great work Shadey! :fire: :paintbrush:

2 Likes

Cheers man, I chopped the G99 down today and found a 5 cent sized bud hanging from a branch by some skin, all nice and dried. I don’t know when it got broke off, maybe when I put my support tape around the plant 2 -3 weeks ago. Just fired it up, took a gentle half toke, as I was not sure how harsh it would be, tastes great not rough at all :yum: then the daughters BF came and started to talk to me for 5 minutes :rolling_eyes: and I am well buzzed up :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Cant believe how potent it is, don’t need anymore for the moment, going to see how long this little toke keeps me going :grin:

10 Likes