A Small Grow on the Big Island

That light looks fine for seedlings and clones. I think you’ll get a lot of use out of it and it suits the purpose nicely. Full spectrum is best. Try to use the Photone app to see how many PPFD you read at the leaf level. Between 50 - 150 PPFD for tiny sprouts. Adjust height accordingly.

At this point, all those little sprouts need is to see “Which Way is Up,” and your light should be perfect for that. 12 hours is enough until your see the first real leaves.

I’d be ready to go to 18/6 once they have real leaves. Those WidowMakers are AutoFlowers, right? Everything happens fast.

3 Likes

Small but mighty! Happy growing, mate!

3 Likes

Welcome @HazyHarvester :+1:

1 Like

They know which way is up. The first nodes are out on all of them, the pig tail seedling looks less robust than the other 3 although that was the first seedling to germinate.

@GrouchyOldMan sent me some of the One-n-Done pest control that was created here on Overgrow! I will be testing it tomorrow on various pests in the yard and home.

Mites,Thrips, Aphids ‘one-n-done’ with pics

11 Likes

:call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

Dr Zymes is your friend….

I never ran them but someone recommended Al-47 & MK Ultra as 2 strains that worked on the windward side. (Maui) Skunk Dawg is common & should be able to find a clone.

I ran about 50 strains in Hawaiian Acres & only a handful didn’t rot. A less dense bud structure with good space between nodes is essential to cope with the humidity.

Aloha

:evergreen_tree:(back on mainland)

8 Likes

Mahaloz @cannabissequoia for the pertinent information. Obviously I am on the windward side of Big Island. I am not sure of the weather in the Puna district as it compares with my particular local that is about 1/2 mile from the coast at 400 feet, the trades here and the RH tends to be lower than Hilo proper.
Were your grows indoor? Covered? So many questions of someone who has grown here.
I would appreciate any more tips and tricks that you are willing to share.

TARpits

4 Likes

Looks like you are off to a good start. Go get um!! :call_me_hand:t4:

3 Likes

Well Hello There Little Ones! :+1:

You have LIftOff @TARpits, well done.

Time to get ready for a first transplant once the roots burst out of those cubes. Many of us use those 12oz Beer Cups with a bunch of extra holes punched through for drainage and aeration. There’s even an OG contest to see who can grow the best plant in a cup!

What do you have for starter soil?

-Grouchy
BTW, that ViparSpectra XS Pro light you just bought is a Phenomenon, seriously. A breakthrough in the tech and an amazing value. You scored, I don’t expect those fire sale prices to last.

6 Likes

@cannabissequoia I See You Brother!

I’m glad you found this thread, I hope you can share some useful insights, you’ve certainly done battle with every kind of Cannabis growing challenge the Islands can dish out!

Which strains were the most resistant?

Regards,
-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:

4 Likes

Aloha Grouchy,

I have Kellogg organic bed and potting soil. Here is a photo from today. 3 of the plants have roots like this, little Miss Piggy root is still coiled up.
I couldn’t get red 16 oz cups unless I bought 100, so clear ones will have to do. When living on an Island we take what we can get.
The new growlight is still sailing across the deep blue sea.
Continuing the testing of the One N Done today.

6 Likes

Babying the Babys!
Yep, get em into the soil cups, take the Dome off, and put your little light as close as possible above the tops. I’d leave it on 24/7 until the new light arrives. Use Photone to see if you can 40+ PPFD to those new leaves. Your local humidity should compensate for removing the dome. They are ready to wake up, look at their sun and breathe.

To transplant them, fill the cup about 2/3 full of soil. Don’t Wet the Soil. Then use something to make a hole in the soil for the rooter cube by really compressing the soil to the sides and down leaving a void. There’s a tool for that called a Dibbler, but any blunt instrument will work.

Insert the rooter cube in the hole and gently tamp the soil around it. The soil level should be just a little higher than the rooter, and maybe an inch below the top of the cup.

You can take them outside for a bit of sunshine to compensate for the lighting, but start slowly on that, early morning sun for an hour, then full sun for a half hour, then an hour, etc. Watch carefully and back off if you see anything but plant pleasure. Once your new light arrives bring them inside and switch to that setup for good.

Once they’ve settled into the cups after a few days, you can add a little more soil to cover the bottom bit of stem. The leaves only need to be a half inch above soil and those little plants are probably going to stretch into the light until your Big Beam LED arrives.

Don’t water them at all for the first day or two, until the cups feel light. (memorize that “Light Cup” feeling!) Then ONLY water lightly around the outer edge of the cup. Overwatering is the first deadly sin of growing seedlings. The roots need to breathe air and they’ll stretch out towards the edges, where the moisture is, and fill the cup. If you see any moss on the top of the soil they are too wet!

This is a critical time in the grow, so check them frequently and “Listen to the Plants.”

-Grouchy
BTW, some folks prefer the clear cups because you can see the root development. To avoid the algae, they put the clear cup inside an opaque outer cup. They’ll be just fine for your project.

8 Likes

Quick update this morning. Slept in a bit. Now getting ready to go to town.
One-n-Done one looks like it is a winner. Used it on various bugs around the house and it knocked em dead.
Photone app says 192ppfd with the diffuser installed.
Seeds are happy in cup. One looks a bit less robust with the first leaves.

8 Likes

Here is the latest on the seedlings.
Moved them to green house this morning. Speaking of the Greenhouse, here are a few pictures.

Since my lights will be on at night and I don’t want to disturb my neighbor or draw attention, my plan is to hang tarp on 3 sides leaving the top open.

Planning on using the raised planter with rocks and pots for herbs. The raised beds with the keystone are unusable for anything due to root encroachment, the ultimate plan is to get horse troughs and plant in them. I really haven’t spent enough time here over the last couple of years to use this area. I figure if all goes well I will spring

Adjusted the flame at 11" above first node at 25% power.
Readings:
PPFD 308
DLI 19.5
I assume that the light is full spectrum by default. I don’t have any qualms about getting an upgrade for Photone. I would probably pay for the optional meter settings on a monthly basis during grow times.

The seedling in the back is the one with a curly pig tail during germination. It looks a bit the runt of the group but we shall see.
I can see the second node on all 4 at this point.

A photo from my visit to the summit of Mauna Kea, 13,000 feet to sea level in 70 min

11 Likes

My new growlight, “Torch” in the house!

Setting up their new home in the greenhouse.

The 4 little ones will fit on top of the bucket as an alternative I have a 18x30 plastic shelf if that is better.
The light is on a timer set 0300-2100 at 25% and I will adjust the height as needed.

There is plenty of air flow through the house as well. I have chosen to tarp 3 sides of the grow area so the light pollution doesn’t affect the neighbors. The light sure does look beautiful glowing off the bamboo in the yard.

I sprayed the bucket and the surround with 1n done. Will wait till the AM to move them outside.

8 Likes

Here is the latest on the seedlings.
Moved them to green house this morning. Adjusted the LED flame at 11" above first node at 25% power.
Readings:
PPFD 308
DLI 19.5
I assume that the light is full spectrum by default. I don’t have any qualms about getting an upgrade for Photone. I would probably pay for the optional meter settings on a monthly basis during grow times.

The seedling in the back is the one with a curly pig tail during germination. It looks a bit the runt of the group but we shall see.
I can see the second node on all 4 at this point.

6 Likes

Happy little plants @TARpits!

Your soil moisture looks perfecto, good watering technique!

Why do they need to sit on a bucket? Can you put them at soil level in a tray and lower the light down to them? Looks kinda precarious!

3 Likes

On a bucket cause I’m lazy. :roll_eyes:

Ready to map out the next steps:
3 gallon pots and Foxfarm Ocean Forest are on deck for the transplant. I promise to move them off the bucket when I find a proper tray.

Look at this photo roots searching out moisture!

We have a week of sunny warm days with lovely trades softly blowing up slope.

Mahalo for the encouragement. It feels like I am moving in the right direction.

6 Likes

Looks like it too! At least those toots are going the right direction. :call_me_hand:

Edit: Lol… Roots

2 Likes

Looks lovely. Was lucky enough to visit The Big Island ~15 years ago. Seems like the tourism issues there have gotten even worse, so it doesn’t seem right going any more, or at least that’s what I hear.

Good luck out there! I personally use Ocean Forest for flowering/adult plants only, as it usually seems too hot for seedlings. I prefer Happy Frog for starting seeds. Maybe worth a try next run?

2 Likes

@Redrum92

Appreciate the input. I had heard that about using FF for the root cube to dixie cup but not for the dixie to grow pot. I have another run of seedling right now to make choices about.
Hawai’i Island especially on Hilo side is a much different vibe than Kona side or the visitor heavy islands of Oahu, Kauai and Maui.
From singing bridge in Hilo to Waimea nearly 60 miles there is not a stop sign or traffic light. It is slow and easy here, visit with aloha and don’t rush from one photo op to the next is what I tell people.

3 Likes