A5Haze/Thai fun from Doc D (Zang!, Sour Diesel x A5 Haze/Thai, Bandaid Haze ix 3.0)

Howdy Gromies, usually keep a lazy man’s diary on my ig, but figured I’d start one here after lurking since the early 00’s. I’ve picked up as many of the Doc D A5 Haze/Thai crosses as possible as the A5 has been mythical for years and Doc is hitting some of my favorite NLD varieties with it. Unsurprisingly this is some of the best herb I’ve run in many years, so while this grow is almost over, I wanted to post my experience as there are a lack of grow reports for a lot of the Doc D stuff.

This run is:

1. Sour Diesel x A5 Haze/Thai bx from Doc D Seeds
  2. Vietnam Black x A5 Haze/Thai bx from Doc D Seeds
  3. Bandaid Haze ix 3.0 from Doc D Seeds
  4. Mextiza (Oaxacan from Cannabiogen) x Malawi (Afropips)

Popped 4 Seeds of each sprouted on Labor Day 9/6/2021. All of the Doc D seeds germinated within the first two days. For starting seeds, I soak in h2o2 for about an hour, then into a solo cup of happy frog or LOS with a ziploc bag as humidity dome and on seed warming mat, no paper towels, no shenanigans.

September 10th:

About a week later, it was interesting to see the differences in leaf morphology between the phenos. This is two seeds of the Bandaid Haze ix 3.0:

Most of the other Vietnam Black, BA Haze and Sour Diesel A5T crosses displayed the wider leaves.

By three weeks in, things were starting to pick up:

This is the Bandaid Haze ix 3.0 with the thinner leaves from the picture above. Grew runty and variegated from the start, but for some reason, I wanted to see what it did (glad now).

Week 5 veg and they were all much more broad leafed than I would have expected. Vietnam Black x A5T on the left, Sour Diesel A5T on the right.

More to come…
Spoiler alert: Today is day 88 of flower:

52 Likes

those look great. what kind of smells are you getting?

5 Likes

Thanks hermano. I just harvested the Sour Diesel x A5T and it’s awful. It smells and tastes like burning tires with a little bit of skunk, earth and hash, just a faint whiff of anything cannabis related. If you like GMO, you’d lose your mind over this. It’s unique, I can say that.

One of the Vietnam Black x A5T was essentially done at 10.5 weeks (I’ll get into this unicorn later in the log) but I’ve let it keep going and smoking testers, it’s got that beautiful and unique Vietnam perfume, strawberry, bubblegum, plastic kind of musk. Turned out exactly like I’d expect Vietnam to play with a Haze and man I can’t get enough! If it wasn’t so damn strong, I’d smoke it constantly, that kind of addictive profile. Reminds me of the leather in my dad’s mustang back in the 70s. :call_me_hand:

24 Likes

Your profile pic is amazing BTW, it’s me! :laughing: “…be a lot cooler if you made f2s and shared…”

8 Likes

After sexing, I was left with 5 females. I flipped them earlier than I normally would because I was concerned the stretch on some of these could get unruly, but the A5T seems to stay medium size for long flowering genetics:

Bandaid Haze ix 3.0:

Vietnam Black x A5T:

These were all flipped at 5.5 weeks from seed. In retrospect I would have vegged for another week/week and a half.

27 Likes

Bandaid Haze ix 3.0 at 2.5 weeks of 12/12:

Sour Diesel x A5T at the same:

Zang! (Vietnam Black x A5T) Unicorn Pheno:

Zang! Pheno 2:

31 Likes

Nice work with the Doc D lines, thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Thanks man! I’ll finish adding to this grow thread this evening as I’m about to harvest. I’m officially obsessed with these A5T lines and have more starting in a week. Have you or anyone grown the A5T crosses to AfPak? I got a lot of them as well and I’m curious if they’re as heady as their longer flowering counterparts.

13 Likes

So during week 6/7, I left town for a few days and when I got back, the Unicorn pheno of Vietnam Black x A5T looked completely different. It had gotten dry while I was gone, but not problematic, and all other plants were fine. It had flopped completely over like a weeping willow and looked like it had been completely pollinated. I saw herms everywhere and within a few days, the pistils were browning and the bracts were swollen and puffy like they were pregnant.

I almost chopped it, but it was so different from it’s sister or any of the other Doc D gear, that I figured I’d ride it out and see what happened.

You can see in this photo how all of it’s leaves had slumped over and it remained that way until I harvested it this morning on day 90.

Runty Bandaid Haze 3.0 pheno. This thing was runty and unhappy from the start, but had such unique leaves from the other phenos, I wanted to roll the dice.

Sour Diesel x A5T

28 Likes

Quick update as I’ve got everything hanging to dry now and I’m sorting through photos to update the rest of the grow. That being said I had a question I wanted to see if anyone could help with.

I’ve grown Sour and Sour crosses, but always with Sour as the female. I’ve got a Bandaid Haze no.7 x Sour Diesel, but I’m wondering if it would let the Bandaid shine. I just finished Sour Diesel x A5 Haze/Thai and it grew like Sour Diesel as you can see in the photos here. I like the sound of Bandaid Haze x Sour, but I’d rather have a Bandaid Haze plant with the Sour funk and zip to it, rather than a Sour plant with extra headiness.

Obviously being clone only for so long, I’m sure many others experience is the same, but I’d love to hear from anyone who can speak to what Sour Diesel brings as a male. Thanks and final updates on this run coming over the weekend :call_me_hand:

11 Likes

Ay digging this thread. Can’t wait to see how it all shakes out! Let me know how those strains smoke!

3 Likes

Weeks 8 and 9, the Sour A5T started fading really nicely and the Unicorn Zang! was starting as well, along with these strange yellow/green pistils and still slumped leaves, bananas plucked daily.

This grow i had a living situation change, so i downsized to a 4x4 and went from living organics to fox farms and general hydro 2 part to make it as easy as possible. Aside from working full time and family, the extra kicker is that now i can only access the tent sporadically, so aside from trying to make it as low maintenance as possible for the genetics i like to run, I also knew this whole setup could fail at any moment, so this was always going to be an experimental run. So I was ok with the idea that any morning I’d hit the lights and find her dead or needing to be, but the weirdo just sat there and kept looking stranger and I just let her.

Sour Diesel x A5T:

Bandaid Haze ix 3.0:

Zang! Unicorn:

Zang!:

28 Likes

Thanks hermano! I can give a spoiler and say they just went into jars, but are all up there with some of the best and most memorable highs I’ve had. The Zang! Unicorn is insane. Strongly leans toward the Kiona Vietnam Black with this hard, drunk, space cadet high where I have to put the bong down and get some air for a minute after three pulls. Like a more playful Malawi if that makes sense. Her sister is similar but more A5 and takes slightly longer to kick in, but is just about as strong; I’m still zooted in a way most herb doesn’t, but it’s a more controlled feeling compared to her sister. The Bandaid Haze has this head snapping Haze high but with a kindness and serenity to it that makes me understand why Bodhi named it. I’ve got a bunch of his A5T work and now I realize how lucky I really am, these are what I hoped they’d be and much more. :call_me_hand:

20 Likes

That’s what I had been hoping for with Doc D’s A5HAZE/Thai work. I haven’t gotten a chance to grow any of his stuff out yet, but had been a diligent follower with his monthly email for a while now.

5 Likes

I can’t recommend it enough. It’s made me rethink my next few runs for sure. I’m soaking his Nigerian Rafiki and Bandaid Haze/AfPak today for this run that’s starting and eyeballing either the Piff/A5T or Big Sur Holy Weed x A5T to run as well. The A5T is very leafy, but aside from that seems to sprinkle that psychedelic Haze high and crazy coverage on everything it touches, so I’m excited for everything Docs got. Picked up his CBH and Santa Cruz Pure Haze A5T crosses from his most recent mailer and those are going in my fall/winter run, can’t imagine the good stuff hiding in those…:call_me_hand:

9 Likes

I did a similar purchase to you. I went for the Cuban black haze cross and the purple corinto budder cross myself. I asked doc about the difference between the piff s1 and the cbh and this is what he said

"they’re both cool cuts and are related on the haze spectrum of effects and aromas…

CBH has a richer musky body odor aroma with floral undertones, is much longer to flower (14 weeks), and has a bigger footprint and yield with a very potent high.

piff s1 has a brighter catpissy cedar aroma, very quick to flower (9weeks), good vigor and branching, and excellent resin. I think the A5 Haze/thai bx male will give this one a potency boost. " -Doc D

14 Likes

Very cool and that’s similar to what I heard him say on the Lemonhoko podcast. I was surprised to hear him say the Piff wasn’t very memorable for him but he thought the A5T would make it something great. I didn’t realize the Piff S1 everyone talks about is a 9 weeker, so compared to the CBH, it’s definitely not going to stand up. If I recall correctly, wasn’t Bandaid Haze a cross of CBH x A5T or was it just A5?

8 Likes

I think it was the CBH x A5T then maybe a backcross? Lemme see what I can dig up

2 Likes

This is what seedfinder says but @vernal is who I consider to be our resident bandaid haze expert.

Cuban Black Haze x (a5/thai x Mirakel)

5 Likes

I’ve grown maybe different 10 different BAH females ask @advancedbuffalo he’s grown more I think. Honestly just ask him about anything lol he can really grow.

7 Likes