Abukeif's late-to-the-party 2023 outdoor grow log

Hey everyone–

New to this forum, and semi-new to growing outdoors, but very experienced with an inability to make decisions. I’ve got a lot of wild-and-wooly landrace genetics I’ve managed to reproduce over the years, so in this space I’ll document my attempt to get some herb starting at this late point in the season.

At the moment, I’ve got four Kumaoni from Real Seed Company in the ground, outside, planted around and in-between the pawpaw patch. Germination rate wasn’t great on these, so there are three more from a second sprouting attempt that will join them once they’re big enough. These are the only cultivar where I’ll be keeping males, so that I can get a healthy number of next-gen Kumaoni.

Other candidates, a little less farther along:

1. A semi-accidental cross of RSC Highland Thai x RSC Malana Cream–we’ll see whether there’s room in the ground for these, but given the flowering time of the Thai genetics, they might go into the greenhouse

2. A bunch of 2nd-gen RSC Syrian–I’ve got tons of the seeds, and they flower fast, so hopefully I can get some sturdy little colas before frost?

3. Some RSC Mazar-e-Sharif x Malana Cream–both of these did really well outside for me last year in cold, wet, northeastern 42N

This is the first time I’ve ever done a grow where I felt like I wasn’t anxious about germ rates from a five- or ten-pack–nice to know that I’ll be able to discard the runts, males, unsprouted seeds, etc. without too many tears. My biggest trepidation is probably that the Syrian will be susceptible to bud rot in my climate, but we’ll see how it goes.

Pictured above: a bent-over Kumaoni. Meant to include more pics, but too tired to do it now! Will post more in the morning.

23 Likes

Sounds like a good plan. I’ve pulled up a chair.

Is that Kumaoni purposefully bent?

2 Likes

Very cool @Abukeif some great stuff going here!

@mota i don’t like answering for people but yes, that is supercropping/HST hard at work ! It’s such a great method after u get past the “I’m gonna break em” simply squeeze between thumb and forefinger until you hear/feel the fibers crackle and usually you’ll hear a crack or pop, then just let ‘em fall, lean etc. usually by the next day it’ll be reaching again. But this allows you to break the apical dominance of cannabis and gives those secondary shoots and others a chance to catch up and give a multi cola, nice even canopy

3 Likes

Thank you, @TopShelfTrees1. Makes sense. It’s such a hearty plant. I think many (most?) other plants wouldn’t be able to survive that kind of treatment, but our favorite can definitely take it!

1 Like

Well, I did say “late to the party,” so hopefully everyone understands being “late to the updates as well!

Yeah, that’s some recent super cropping you see in the Kumaoni pic. It always feels like murder when I do it, but these plants are so, so robust… here it is a week later:

That Knuckle in the middle of the stem is where the bend used to be. These things totally want to go up. They’re juuust barely starting to show sex, but I’ve got at least one male and female apiece, so here’s hoping we get some seeds. Stem rubs are of mint, carrot, pine, and one wild-ass bubblegum right now :yum:

Syrian and Highland Thai are off to a late start, and will probably live in the greenhouse and/or be taken inside to finish. Might leave a few Thais in the greenhouse to see how much cold they can take, just as an experiment

First indoor pollination project of the cold season will be Sannie’s Jack, 4/5 healthy sprouts out of my last precious ten-pack! Currently, though, they’re soaking up rays outdoors.

(upload://ladKBJMPV6c9n9cu3cC8RUSWDq2.jpeg)

11 Likes

I remember them
That’s one of the strongest weeds I’ve ever grown
Great choice

Paps

3 Likes

Yeah, what can I say, I was a Sannie Stan for a long time before he disappeared, and want to preserve the work! Planning to document the indoor garden separately starting in the fall, and hopefully make lots of seeds for everyone.

2 Likes

That’s a great plan I’ll follow along and watch the show my friend

2 Likes

Man, I would have sworn that the four big Kumaoni were showing some signs of sex by now, but inspecting today, I’m less certain. Wishful thinking? Did I dream it? Four pics of four individuals:

A Where’s-Waldo: can you spot the crop growing behind the figs and pawpaws?

And some bonus pictures of unripe-but-ripening figs, because I’m obsessed with their progress as well:

9 Likes

Nice figs brother

1 Like

I totally agree with @Papalag, damn nice looking figs!

Are they all the same variety?

1 Like

:sunglasses: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Nope! Three pics, three trees (one of a few dozen that I seem to have acquired over the past three years or so… less expensive than hoarding ganja seeds, but way more space-intensive :grimacing:) First pic is Florea, I believe, followed by Improved Celeste, and the last one with very green figs is Bourjasotte Grise. Florea and Improved Celeste are by far the easiest producers in my climate, but the B.G. is a long shot.

4 Likes

They’re trivially easy to grow from cuttings–part of the reason I wound up with so many. Let me know if you’d like me to share when I prune in Nov/Dec :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Update: that one Improved Celeste didn’t survive the afternoon. Looking forward to when the fig season kicks in in earnest and we don’t have to split figs four ways.

Thank you all for your kind indulgence. Will try my damnedest to focus future posts on the wacky-tobacky.

4 Likes

Man that’s beautiful! I hope it was every bit as good as it looks! :yum:

1 Like

I take care of my neighbors fig tree she’s like 93 she only rents there but our friend Joe who planted it many years ago alway shared them and I make sure it’s fed and watered regularly. I’ll take pics later I’m going to take a cutting for my self

Ty for sharing

5 Likes

You can take a cutting & force sex ID by controlling the photoperiod. :v:

:evergreen_tree: any interest in those trades? :wink:

2 Likes

Just got back to ya :slight_smile:

Well, one confirmed male (biggest, strongest, tallest of the bunch—ain’t that always the way?)

Stem rubs of lemon/carrots… hope he’ll do the ladies good. While we’re waiting for them to show themselves, here’s another non-cannabis exhibition that went onto the evening’s pizza

8 Likes