African landraces and heirloom thread

How’s that Kwazulu treating you?

1 Like

Kilimanjaro is a different strain and the buds tend to be smaller in size compared to the Moshi landrace. It produces a combination of lemon and earthy flavors while Moshi is cypress/pine and floral terpenes. I believe they originated from the same place but adopted differently to the soil and climate since the Kilimanjaro is grown near central Tanzania while Moshi is at the base of the mountain

14 Likes

good question.

We would have to figure out the Design first. its the most difficult thing. i want Conclusions to be drawn, trough correlations emerging .

So , either

• we make a 2d “Picture” with pics on a Correlating Map beneath (temperature map / or a secound map with trades likelyness , and so forth. Each map is simply illustrated by gradients…)
  • or we programm it, i tried using a Programming-helper-tool (visual buildingblock style) once to programm a Soundeffect, as a newbie… Its hard, and i seemed to hear that Internet-browser programming is even more difficult… And that stuff has to be updated once programmed, becuase windows, internetbrowsers change over time… so after the years we need to hire a programmer again to make it work… that way we coul make the pictures poup when hovering over them, leaving room for the map beneath… or when zooming into a region, more pics emerge then when zoomed out (just two three pics for Africa, two three pics for India when zommed out)… You see thats lotsa work.

I will try put some pics on a gradients map and see if i feel i can see this simple version work… also how fast will the pic load if its 100000000000000000000000 pixels big ? In the end i would even need a programmer to progressively load the pic, instead of all at once ?..
but yeah, first try to put pics on a map. ive not really the energy now more than testing a 2d pic out…

3 Likes

Or 3rd option: we dont need a map.
we show the gradients by a “bar” , (temperature-bar / likelyness of Trade-bar 1 to 10) and list those infos next to the pic… So its not really a map…
and do it for “the exact location” , but in a secound step we do it “for the wider region.” each listed under the picture… each…
the pics with infos each downloadable / or just one by one in a thread. the user can load the interesting ones and put them on difernt internet-tab`s. to compare…

I may make some trials tomorrow…
im not shure anyone understood anything :grin:

4 Likes

I’ll pretend I did🤣 I’m not computer savvy, but perhaps others that are can help.

3 Likes

Had to sadly take down one of my remaining girls early…She started throwing out some mutant growth and nanners-still unsure if it was my doing from a mild feed or just light starting to change back to long days short nights🤷🏼‍♂️
Sad cause she was starting to purple up nicely and was seeded but would rather not chance having seeds from genetics that could possibly carry these traits over (if it wasn’t my fault)

But got the last one left that’s looking great-which has insane purple stems and petioles.

My attempt to pollinate her was unsuccessful as she was the slowest and it seems like my pollen I stored in a small container had possibly absorbed some moisture and was useless by the time I dusted her…But on a positive note I did manage to dust a few lower buds with some pollen from a tiny male that I had from a late season attempt at some Black Congolese(deadpanhead seeds) so should be a interesting pairing!!

13 Likes

Sure looks like longer days caused the plant to begin reflowering and as a result, throw some male flowers. Too bad. Looked done anyway, no?
Nice chunky flowers on Miss Purple stem.

5 Likes

Flower was very close to being done…for seeds,would’ve still needed a couple more weeks to have been ready but it is was it is… nothing goes to waste here-just won’t be using her for further projects.

6 Likes

Soz in advance for the long, not exactly on topic post. Although in practice not especially complicated, there is a bit involved.

I may have something to contribute here as I spent years working with GIS data and with the various tools; part of my job as a systems engineer was to parse, convert and import such spatial data into simulation systems. So the terrain within a virtual environment etc.

Imho your best and easiest bet is via GIS tools such as Global Mapper and Google Earth Pro.

With either of these you can import and draw both vector layers, stuff like polygons, lines, points etc as well as raster data such as height maps, satellite imagery etc.

The benefits of these tools over an image editor for example are that they allow you to georeference layers so location data points, maps, elevation etc will automatically align to a global projection template. Geo referencing is just the unwrapping of the globe into a specific layout. WGS84 being the most common one in my experience.

In this kind of GIS environment, the various types of data are imported into individual layers, so that you can switch between layers and also create relationships between them, allowing you to interrogate points, areas etc and to query them for additional data. Basically a spatial database. You can get really funky with this stuff and develop complex statistical relationships between the different layers, or it can be as simple as grouping layers together so they can be switched on and off together etc.

If you use tools like say Global Mapper, then you will need data to make the layers of the database; a raster map of the globe, an elevation map, perhaps derived topo maps etc. AND you will need those in sufficient resolution to give you meaningful data at say a local level. These kinds of databases are truly staggeringly massive, I’ve sifted through petabytes of data for models less that 100k square at 25cm per pixel resolution, it’s processing data like this is that super computers are built for!
While you can find this kind of free data from the USGS for example, publicly available data will be of generally low resolution.

However what you can do is to use a tool like Global Mapper to create layers that can then be directly imported into Google Earth Pro, and because they can both use a reasonably simple human readable markup language, KML you can then add extra functionality and interaction within GE AND get all the imagery/elevation data from googles server for free.

Want a tour of all the different equatorial landraces, their weather history, soil types, traditional medical use history etc. then you create these as individual layers in your GIS tools, and export and view them and create relationships with Google Earth.

Once you get into it, its not really super complicated and all the tools and most of the background data is freely available. GE gives you the globe as a map, an easy way to navigate, display and interact with it all, GM gives you all the tools to make layers etc and they are both free.

9 Likes

that sounds good too! Can one at the end create a normal Link, and people can click on it and acess your Project online ? or do they need to have Google Earth Pro aswell ?

7 Likes

You can use GE in a browser as well, I haven’t messed with the web version, but it’s also available as an app for iOS, android and on also on PC for free. I think the standalone PC version is probably the most advanced feature wise but I would also expect that the chrome browser would work reasonably with it. It’s a really cool tool for creating exactly what you’re describing and has all the maps and authoring tools already built in.

5 Likes

It could also be established as an Open Source Project, couldn’t it? I used to work as a land surveyor but got out of it right about when things were going digital, so I’ve lost a lot of what I used to know.

That’s really cool, @slain, that you have already worked on the exact thing we’re trying to envision. Cool stuff!

4 Likes

Definitely you could, the file it uses is human readable so all you would need to do is put the GPL agreement details in the file header.
If I can find some time I might have a play around with it and see what I can mock up.

6 Likes

Any chance that the weed from Ethiopia is coming from Shashasmeni?

7 Likes

Early Lesotho (Lesotho x Purpurea Ticinensis x Erdbeer)

14 Likes

It is from Shashamane and he has seeds.

3 Likes

73 Durban

18 Likes

What are the scents/aromas like on this one? How was flowering time? Can you comment on the point of origin/source of seeds?

4 Likes

Yes it looks like Shashamane

3 Likes

Smells like Durban. That deep musky smell. Its hard to describe it. Cannabiogen Durban smells the same way… Flowering time was 15/16 weeks on the faster shorter plants( bud pictured). The longer flowering plants will be cut down soon at week 18 or so. From Hippie Cannabis Genetics originally.

6 Likes