African landraces and heirloom thread

I used my plants for making seed.
Some bud was smoked while still quiet fresh but used all my de-seeded material to try my hand at making cobs which ended up being a complete disaster as they all developed mould.

4 Likes

I’ve been looking into the history of Indian and Chinese migrant (indentured mostly) workers in Africa in the 1800’s, on the theory that South African accessions are mostly heirlooms of a landrace African sativa with an Indian genetic of unknown genotype or origin. I wanted to share some resources I’ve found on the subject, some of these books might be available on Bookfinder for cheap or on LibGen for free, but in general check the WorldCat link on the left to see if you can get them through your library.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3097486

https://ameenagafoorinstitute.org/bibliography-south-and-east-africa

5 Likes

Have you read this book?

12 Likes

I have not, I should download a copy thanks @Tejas

3 Likes

It’s a really good read.

4 Likes

Nigerians from Khalifa (Afropips repro) - 11/14 germination. Let’s see what these are about. Faster finishing African…Nigerians aren’t the worst timewise from what I have encountered, so hope to find something that can finish outside as well as longer jawns

Zamal x Zamal Mango Carrot x Senegalese - popped the rest of the pack. All in all 2 seeds did not make it, all else germed. Mango and sweet smells with a touch of parsnip.

Swazi Rooibard x Congolese - 1/2 seeds that’s still going. Will pop rest of the pack sometime in the spring at this point.

18 Likes

When did you harvest? I harvested back in August and it just keeps getting better

1 Like

I grew what I think is probably this same nigerian or a dutched version back in two thousand or so. By september twenty first it was getting close. (I got busted that year so I didn’t get to smoke it). There was some nigerian going around tannersville at the time and I pulled a seed out of the bag. Strong Red eye smoke that took the wind out of my sails. The last thing anyone ever wanted to do after smoking the nigerian was to go back to work.
If you had nothing else to do it was wonderful smoke. Made my cousin extremely angry every time he smoked it though. Never saw anyone get like that from weed before or since

8 Likes

Only problem with that article is that they found cannabis pollen in Namibian soil samples that is thousands of years older. I can’t remember the date but it was between five and eight thousand years ago. I’m sure it’s a good read but it’s missing a big piece of the puzzle. Outside of Asia it’s the oldest pollen sample from cannabis I have read about.

9 Likes

I think I took mine down also round about July//August
Would have taken them a few weeks earlier but was waiting for seeds to be nicely done.
Trying to cob it all was a bit of dumb thing to do…
Thought I’d crack it first go but my attempts all went mouldy…bit of a bummer
Anyways I’m more than happy as I’ve now got hundreds of seeds to work with for future.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about the cobbing problems, baptism through fire I suppose? RE:cobbing Do you have a vacuum sealer that’s typically used for storing food? How did you seal the cobbs? Did you check for moisture and open them up to remove excess moisture?

2 Likes

Jahwi’s Joy from Ghana :ghana:

31 Likes

Seeds matter more than bud sometimes. :+1:
I’ve let more than one good jar of weed get mouldy on me… The price you pay for a good cure I suppose.
@mexcurandero420 Did you ever hear a smoke report for that one?

6 Likes

Did smoke the scissor hash from the plants above.What i remember was it didnt have the effect of the munchies, just the opposite, which means that it contains THCV.

4 Likes

I’m still a little baffled as to why my cobs moulded
Followed the process to the T.
May have been my sealer-its a old cheapie and doesn’t suck the air out so well.
Did the best I could but after sweat,dry and reseal the mould came within a week.Once I saw mould through packet and opened them up I saw this white mould had started on all of them at bottom of cobs had gone into the bud itself.
Seemed like it started on the corn husks I used-
They were fresh off the cob when I used them
I think that could also have been part of the problem?

5 Likes

Interesting info. I wonder what the source of this Brian is, meaning what culture it can’t from. As well as when and what Dutch genetics got plugged in. This is supposed to be pure but who knows. Popping some Nigerian Yoruba Bantu here shortly as well.

2 Likes

I think spell check got you. I couldn’t decipher this time.

I just found my seeds! @PineTarBastard Were they from you?

2 Likes

Haha yeah autocorrect…i meant to say the source of this Nigerian variety.

I remember sending you what I had left of the Nigerian Yoruba, hopefully they’re still viable

1 Like

Could be the vac seal machine? That was probably the most expensive component outside of the yogurt maker I use for the initial sweat. I was reluctant to use the corn husks/other plant material for this very reason in my experiments. Next time maybe try the non-stick baking parchment paper for the wrap, it seemed to work really well for me.

2 Likes