African landraces and heirloom thread

Nigerian

22 Likes

Lovely pics! Can you comment on the scents/aromas/effects? How many weeks of flowering? Do you know the point of origin or provenance info?

2 Likes

Yes,

Nigerian line via WhiteRabbit.
Had 2 different phenos. 2/3 finished ~11-12 weeks.
1/3 (pictured) went just about 100 days even.

Smell on #1 is lemon or closer to candy lemon/Jack terps. Smoke was heady and up. Nothing crazy, but a good daytime smoker.

#2 was a mix of 1 with a little bit more herbal/floral notes. Smoke on #2 was similar to #1 but with a touch more potency. I think it’s bc I let her run a bit longer…extra week.

#3 is the winner and the one pictured. 100 day grow. Lanky but fat cola African NLD. Beautiful plant in both veg and flower. Smelled like floral musk with a laundry detergent after smell. It’s such a a unique smell. It totally went away during curing, but hoping those notes come back in time. The high was the key point. 100% all head with a deep meditative/internal/deep in though factor. A bowl is good enough for me, as smoking more just get mentally tasking. For those who’ve tried VB164, this reminds me of it. Potent and distracting weed. I find myself getting lost in daydreams A LOT while smoking this. My wife who doesn’t smoke like that, tried this and said it’s “anti anxiety” weed and that there was a calm physical effect, not jittery or weighed down. All head autopilot weed with a comfortable feeling in the body. Running her again for a better grow.

#3 yielded the best, was the tallest, and clear outlier of he 3. Pros: potent heady African bud, sexy growing plant, pretty resilient and grower friendly. Cons: that great smell does not translate well in dry/cure, at least 13 week grow…minimum so for those that only grow 60 day OGs or Sour, etc…this ain’t it.

12 Likes

High here’s a Zambaz F1 mom (Zambian cooper x Swazi Red)
(repro F2) Mix fruity specimen like candy necklaces.

s-l400

23 Likes

How long of a veg? Sounds a bit similar to the Yoruba Nigerian. My latest plant went 20 weeks and had a floral taste to it. Flowered from seed. The fastest went 12/13 weeks.
Beautiful looking plant you have there. I also enjoyed the Nigerian. If you find a potent one it’s very good. Massive head high.

4 Likes

Did you get a chance to try that Zambian on its own? I’ve been trying to track that one down.
Thanks for the flashback with that candy necklace. For a minute there I was 13 years old at the Town pool and I had just gotten back from spending a dollar on candy at the Five and Dime Store. Wouldn’t get very much for a dollar these days but I remember coming back with a bag full.
Sounds like a nice cross. How were the f1s?

3 Likes

Don’t remember veg, but a month or under I think. Massive head, like it sucks me into my own head. Thought floods, lack of focus, uplifted and bright feeling. Floral and clean laundry in veg, very toned down in flower as far as terps. Maybe further curing will change that.

The other two got pulled ~80 days but the one that I pulled at 100 is the winner by far. Revegging the original seed mom now, tho I took cuts as well. Will rerun for sure and use it to work and breed into.

#AFRICAN-POWER
#SATIVA
#UPSTATE-NY-GROWN

7 Likes

@tweezer_caspian Sounds like the Yoruba. I found some beauties myself. Looking forward to hunting their offspring. Hoping to find something with a strong flavor to go with all that resin. Like you said, not big on flavor but batting 1000 with other features.

3 Likes

I have just a few experience with Zambia and without really found the Black/Red metallic cooper pheno, mostly were Gold/Green. I hoped the Swaz cross for that Red gunpowder so not really accomplished hybrid for now, will see but i hope to retry another Swaz cross with Malawi highland Mulanje or Lesotho.

This F1 is more Zamb than Swazi Rooi so with much more Gold longer flowering 16/18 weeker. About its candy necklace fruity aroma i already rarely found those terps longtime ago but not as much as this specimen, special character, i think to reveg it :wink:

6 Likes

Photos take on Day 73F
Malawi Gold (@Tejas ) needs another 3 weeks to finish.

No purpling or intersex issues.

Smell: Leathery, woody, very little citrus at the very end.

#2 - correct plant now.
Some purpling.
problem child, plucking nanners off here and there to get to the finish line. Tossed #2 clones due to instability.

Smell: Spicy, earthy

Kilimanjaro ( @Kidete ) seems like it needs the full 16 weeks.
I angered her but she corrected after a week. With all that stress, no intersex issues. Nice!

Smell: Sweet electric lemon scent. She has that nostalgic smell from I first tried some back in 2011. I’m beyond stoked to smoke some again.

I will try better on the clones.

25 Likes

Here are a couple of Mulanje x Oaxaca growing outside. They’ve been stretching for weeks, but just started throwing pistils about a week ago.

19 Likes